PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Magical Express?

Metalfan
03-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Planning a trip for my girlfriend and I in September (yes I know it's a ways away) and wanted opinions on this service for anyone who has used it. We thought about renting a car but we love Disney transportation and we likely won't be leaving property much anyway. I thought we might use a cab once to run to the store or to a dinner offsite if we decide to do that one night. But that's maybe $40 total where renting a car is a lot more and the car will sit there for 6 days out of our 7 day trip. It just didn't make much financial sense to me. Figured there are a lot more fun things I can use that money on. So, is this service good? Any suggestions? Thanks!

mydisneygirls
03-22-2013, 12:11 PM
We used ME on our last visit and it was fine. The only non-positive thing I would say is to put you luggage on the bus as opposed to letting Disney take care of it. We arrived at the hotel at 11 but our luggage didn't meet up with us until after 4.

Also, I needed to take a taxi to the store because we forgot a couple things and the fare was around $60 and that was being dropped off at Downtown Disney instead of being brought back to our resort. I'd check rental car rates if you plan on two trips off property. If you wait a week before your trip, you can get a great deal. I got one from Alamo and paid $110 for the week TOTAL and that was a full size car.

Metalfan
03-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the response! We'll likely look into a car depending on what we think we need. I just didn't want to get one if we really weren't going to use it and I really can't think of anything we would use it for. Just threw those 2 things out there.

ledudes
03-22-2013, 12:29 PM
We've been using it for years and have never had a problem. We usually pack anything we might need right away (like bathing suits or shorts) in our carry on so that we don't need to worry about when our luggagae arrives at the hotel. The kids like the little informational movie they play on the ride in and we get to relax until we arrive at the hotel.

tinxmom
03-22-2013, 01:02 PM
We have used ME probably a dozen times, and have never had a problem. We also pack our necessities in our carryon and I love not worrying about claiming my luggage - you just walk right from the plane to the ME - its a beautiful thing.

cer
03-22-2013, 01:10 PM
No problem with our experience either. Used Magical Express everytime. Disney handles our luggage as well. In our experience it is an excellent service.

I agree with tinxmom, "It's a beautiful thing."

Metalfan
03-22-2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks! Yea that's what I think I enjoy most about thinking about using it is being able to not really have to worry about anything. I lived in Florida for so long and never did anything but drive since it was only a couple hours away. But now, after moving and taking the trip a couple weeks ago and driving the 8+ hours each way it just was a headache. I'd much rather fly and let other people drive us around than having to deal with getting gas, driving long hours, etc. Plus the driving is basically 2 days out of the trip that you're so tired to do anything with. I'd rather take the hour and a half flight down to Orlando and still have basically a whole day to hit a park or something. And I like not having to deal with a car while I'm there. I just park it and leave it usually so it doesn't seem worth spending the cash on a car on the chance i'll need to go somewhere.

TheHD
03-22-2013, 02:06 PM
I've used it the last two trips and thought it was pretty efficient. The only downside is if your resort is not the first stop. Plus, once you hop on the bus, it's like you're already on Disney property instead of having to drive to it.

nunners
03-22-2013, 02:48 PM
We always got a car and it sat in the lot all week. I finally convinced DH to do magical express and we do it every time now. We love not worrying about renting the car and finding our way through Orlando. We just sit back and enjoy the ride. We do Garden Grocer for our grocery needs and everything is there waiting for us when we arrive. We have taken swim suits, neccessities with us in carry ons so we can hit the pool when we get there. We have never had to wait too long for luggage either. We love it and appreciate the great value!!!!:mickey:

disneydeb
03-22-2013, 03:39 PM
How long , approximately, does it take to get to your respective resort? Do they drop of DVC first and Values last or how do they decide, do they go in any sort of order? I didn't mean to hijack the thread but got me thinking...

cer
03-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Individual busses are assigned to each resort.

Except the All-stars and they share 1 for the 3 resorts.

There may be a couple resorts assigned to 1 bus, but it is a very well organized system and it will be your first Disney queue!

disneydeb
03-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Thanks, I will experience ME for the first time in October all by myself!

etibbetts
03-22-2013, 04:10 PM
They have lines at the airport for each resort (or in some cases resorts) and then they load up the bus with what resorts they go to. I believe each bus doesn't go to more than four resorts.

I've been lucky and never gone to more than one other resort before mine. It's always been very efficient. The only issue I had was that on our last trip the flight landed at 7:30 and luggage was delivered past midnight so they woke everyone up.

We no longer rent a car and find it efficient to use the Magical Express.

AllDisney
03-22-2013, 04:56 PM
We always use ME. We pack ahead for anything we might need before the check-in luggage arrives to the room.

ME is wonderful for our family:thumbsup:

Metalfan
03-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Wow, thanks for the responses and the suggestions! Sounds like it will be definitely what we do to get to Disney and back! We're gonna be flying in early in the morning so we'll be hitting a park right after we check in. I don't think we'll need to bring much with us on our carry ons but still. Appreciate all the help. Sounds like a great service which will do a lot to make the trip easier.

Canuck Park Hopper
03-25-2013, 08:37 PM
DME is the only way to fly... :mickey:

Kairi_7378
03-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Another fan of the ME here!

During my first grown up trip with DH, my first experience with a Disney Cast Member was at the ME counter at MCO. I turned to my husband and said, "Wow, what a nice woman!" My husband (who had been to the World many times growing up) said, "EVERYONE is going to be nice while we are here." And for the most part, he was right!