PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh

Crow
03-21-2013, 08:50 PM
been a few yrs since i was there..before the new stadiums. Any suggestions for hotels close to downtown, any opinions on Point Park University, places to eat, things to see..might go to a Pirates game

disney obsessed
03-22-2013, 07:49 AM
Primanti brothers in the strip. The original hot dog shop in oakland, aka the dirty o.

Yum.

kakn7294
03-22-2013, 10:09 AM
Primanti brothers in the strip. The original hot dog shop in oakland, aka the dirty o.

Yum.The Dirty O is disgusting. It has enough grease in the crevices of the building to heat NYC for a year if they burned it for fuel oil.

There are several very nice looking hotels on the North Shore and in downtown Pittsburgh right near PNC Park - Springhill Suites, Renaissance, Hyatt Place, Omni William Penn, and Wyndham Grand downtown to name a few. Jerome Bettis's Grill 36 has very good food. We also enjoy the Hall of Fame Club in PNC Park (can only get in on game day with a valid game ticket). There are tons of other great places to eat as well. There's a Ruth's Chris steakhouse in downtown near Point Park College. The campus is very nice. My daughter has some friends who go there.

As for things to do, there's the Warhol Museum, the Carnegie Museum, the Zoo, Phipps Conservatory, the Heinz History Center (my personal favorite), the Aviary, the Gateway Clipper river cruises, the Ducky tours, the inclines, Kennywood Park (amusement park), stage shows, and tons more stuff depending on when you'll be in town. Search Visit Pittsburgh and you'll find tons of info.

disney obsessed
03-22-2013, 06:42 PM
Of course the dirty o is disgusting! Thats why they call it the dirty o. However, they have the best hotdogs and fries in the entire world.

BrowncatP
03-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Since you are a DW fan, I say GO to Kennywood. The park has rides you will not find anywhere else in the country.

Crow
03-23-2013, 11:44 AM
thanks
i did go to Kennywood as a kid when we lived in the Pittsburgh suburbs. Ill probably drive from Philly area so will only have a day or so there.
I was looking for a hotel under $200 and found a few listed...unless i go outside the city.
Probably visit the campus, catch a game either Wed night or Thurs afternoon of Easter wk, maybe walk the strip and go to Primanti or someplace. Poss the History musuem.
also considered taking a train, but it only runs basically once a day and im not sure where the terminal is in Pittsburgh or if its better to drive the 6 or 7 hrs. Any opinions on Hampton Inn by the Consol Center and a few blocks from stadiums or another place sub $200

Crow
03-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Marriot City Center..looks like a rate under $150. and looks like its across from Penguins arena and not far from Point Park, stadiums and Amtrak.