PDA

View Full Version : Bates Motel

TinkerbellT421
03-19-2013, 09:00 PM
So, first of all, I have come to realize that I may watch entirely wayyyy too much tv....

But any who, did anyone watch the season premiere of Bates Motel on A&E?

It's basically based on the character Norman Bates from psycho.

Not to be critical, but I'm a stickler for details sometimes. For example, when someone sets off a sprinkler head in the movies, the whole building sprinkler system goes off, it doesn't work that way in real life...but anyway, in one aspect they are trying to establish a foundation of how Norman bates started, prior to the movie psycho, so then why in this show is there so much technology? Am I just being picky? Like his mother has a cell phone, kids have iPods, etc...maybe I'm just being picky. With that said though its a good show so far.

BriarRose0708
03-19-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm too chicken to actually watch it (heard it's very gory and I can't take it) but I'm so intrigued by the concept of this show. I am a fan of Psycho and Hitchcock, and from the previews I saw on A&E during a Criminal Minds marathon the other day it looks to me like they set it in modern day. A featurette that aired with the producers and cast explained that they used the film as source material but it's not supposed to be a chronological prequel to Psycho. I actually think one of the awful sequels from the early 90's was a prequel and had Olivia Hussey in it as the mother. Anyway, they include some references and images fans of the original will appreciate, but they wanted it to be a stand alone show. The original is set in Arizona but this series takes place in Oregon, for example. I've never read the book, which the original movie is based on, but that may go into more detail on Norman's back story they used for this series. Has anyone read it?

TinkerbellT421
03-19-2013, 09:54 PM
They do mention in the first episode that they moved from Arizona to this new small town, in Oregon maybe? I forget where. But they do show them moving into the the hotel and some cops come by and the mother explains that they moved from Arizona. I'll interested to see what they do with the show. I was under the understanding it was a "prequel" I guess. It's tough to have a standalone show that basically has all the same facts pieced together from the original movie. I will have to check out the documentary that A&E has about the making and see what they say. Thanks for the info.

TinkerbellT421
03-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Well after going to A&E' s website this is literally the first line they have about the show : "“Bates Motel,” serves as a contemporary prequel to the genre-defining film, “Psycho,” and promises to give viewers an intimate portrayal of how Norman Bates’ psyche unravels through his teenage years." So, they are basically portraying it as the prequel to psycho which makes me even more confused...lol

DizneyFreak2002
03-19-2013, 10:27 PM
That is what you call taking liberties with the source material... LOL...

Missed the premiere.. Have to catch it on ON DEMAND...

dobby2010
03-19-2013, 10:29 PM
I watched it. Not sure if I will watch any more. It seems too scary for me. Especially that scene at the end. Not sure what that was about!
I was confused about the setting too! It seems like a prequel and all the clothes and some of the scenery seem old (their car and house) yet they all have iPhones and the cops were in an SUV. Very weird. Love Hitchcock and psycho but not sure I'm going to stick with this one.

PirateLover
03-19-2013, 11:30 PM
Yeah, it's a technically a prequel but not set in the same era as the original. There was a really uncomfortable scene in the premiere. Between this, The Walking Dead, and The Following I'm not sure I can take it. Overall I did think it was very suspenseful, but I prefer suspense to gore. We will watch the 2nd episode and see how it goes.

kakn7294
03-20-2013, 12:24 AM
I read that althought it is a prequel to the Psycho movie, they purposely set it in modern times hence the ipods, iphones, computers, etc, but the house and hotel are supposed to look old and like the original. They wanted a modern feel to an old classic without being a redo of the original story. It's an explanation of how Norman Bates evolves into the man in Psycho.

I agree that there was one scene that was much too intense for my taste and my 13 yo daughter was watching at the time. I screamed for her to leave the room, although she knew what was happening, at least she didn't view the worst of it.

I liked the suspense, didn't think the gore was actually that bad, but that one scene almost was bad enough that I didn't watch the rest of it. I'll watch episode 2 and decide from there if I'm going to keep watching.

PirateLover
03-20-2013, 01:16 PM
I liked the suspense, didn't think the gore was actually that bad, but that one scene almost was bad enough that I didn't watch the rest of it. I'll watch episode 2 and decide from there if I'm going to keep watching.

Exactly. Most of the show did center around the suspense element which is why I'll give it a try. A "shock" scene here and there is, I guess, expected, but if it gets too over the top, I'll likely be out.

TheTexasKid
04-08-2013, 05:44 PM
If I had a TV, I don't, I don't know whether I watch this or not, but enough people must be watching it, as A&E has renewed it for a second season, which will begin sometime in 2014.

IamBelle
05-08-2013, 09:44 AM
I have watched the show every week so far, and I actually really like it. I agree with some scenes being a little too much, but the storylines have been so intriguing!

Dixie Springs
06-06-2013, 08:09 PM
While the subject matter is a bit dark, I have to admit the acting is outstanding. Mom & Norm, despite their creepiness and the Oedipus overtone, are very natural.