PDA

View Full Version : Califirnia Grill

Poohbear88
03-19-2013, 03:31 PM
Do you think it is worth 2 sit down meals?

mechanic
03-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Yes, cg has always been THE premier dining spot on site.

epceddie
03-19-2013, 04:36 PM
No restaurant at Disney is worth two TS credits. The food isn't that good and the prices are outrageous. My wife and I think California Grill is overrated. It's also one of the noisiest restaurants we've ever been to. We did enjoy returning later to watch Wishes from the roof of the Contemporary though.

faline
03-19-2013, 05:13 PM
California Grill is in the process of being refurbished. Additionally, I understand the menu will be changing - it's hard to know what the restaurant will be like after the changes are completed.

caryrae
03-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Can't tell you if it's worth 2 credits but wife and I ate there years ago for our 5th Anniversary and had a great time. We made reservations for the same time the Parade and Fireworks were and were lucky enough to get a table right by a window facing the MK. We still remember that moment 12 years later.

BelleBeauty
03-19-2013, 08:16 PM
Personally I do not think it is worth 2 TS credits. However, I do think that it is one of the better restaurants on property. The way the restaurant was with the sushi it was also complicated on DDP because there were different sizes plates and sushi rolls. You are better paying out of pocket so you aren't worrying about trying to maximize your dining credits.

The food was good, not spectacular, and the service felt rushed. We got a prime seat for 2 next to the window for fireworks, but there were many tables right smushed right near us. Still, can't beat sitting at your own table for a sky-high view. But might be better to keep your receipt and just come back and watch it from the deck.

Kairi_7378
03-19-2013, 10:22 PM
No one but you can really decide whether a restaurant is one or two credits. There are a lot of intangibles that go into the sum of "worth."

I will tell you that the CA Grill is a must do for us. We save it for our last dinner of the trip. (We don't stress about timing around Wishes.) We have had consistent good service and good food here.

Travis1717
03-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Absolutely! Our favorite spot on property...

dobby2010
03-19-2013, 10:51 PM
I'd say yes if you get a table by the window for wishes. It was a wonderful, romantic experience for my husband and I. The food was good but I wouldn't call it spectacular.

Polynesian Dweller
03-19-2013, 11:54 PM
California Grill is in the process of being refurbished. Additionally, I understand the menu will be changing - it's hard to know what the restaurant will be like after the changes are completed.

This is probably the most important point at this time. Everything people are saying is based on the old Cali Grill. It is being completely redesigned with new furnishings, colors and layout. It is also getting a completely new menu.

So, at this time, nobody can tell you what's like, how good the food is, or whether it's worth the credits. That won't be known until someone has had the opportunity to eat there.

BrerGnat
03-20-2013, 09:04 AM
I ate there a few years ago, and our experience was only okay. We were on the DDP, but this was LONG ago, when we got the appetizer and dessert and tip was included, etc. At that, it was a good value. However, the food was quite ordinary, and not nearly as mind blowing as I was led to expect it to be. The noise was the biggest surprise. The place was packed with kids, and I didn't really appreciate that. I was expecting a more subdued dining experience, but so many people use the fireworks as a good excuse to bring rowdy kids who all crowded around our window side table as soon as they started. I will never again dine here at "fireworks time."

I will probably try it again after it's reopened, but we will dine MUCH earlier, and enjoy the sunset rather than the fireworks. ;)

mdricks
03-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Im a foodie and have high expectations for "signature" restaurants. I have eaten at Cali grill twice, once long ago and once last year.

The meal last year was only ok. Service was great, wine list is awesome but I had the filet and it was overcooked and so salty I couldn’t eat it.

I would go back, but I would also be careful to grill the wait staff (pun intended) about preparation to ensure I had a better experience.

:number1:

azcavalier
03-21-2013, 12:06 PM
I've been to the Cali Grill once, and had the Pork Tenderloin with polenta. At the time, I thought that it was pretty good, but not worth 2 credits (or the $$$ price). It was a very good restaurant, but maybe I had overly high expectations.

The funny thing is that I later found the recipe for that tenderloin, and not only is it a family favorite, but guests ask for it as well. It is *delicious*.

cer
03-21-2013, 12:32 PM
I will probably try it again after it's reopened, but we will dine MUCH earlier, and enjoy the sunset rather than the fireworks. ;)

The sunset and views are amazing.

To me, the sunset was way better than the fireworks as there was so much more to see.

bruin1344
03-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Great food and nice view of the fireworks. I typically do not do any 2 TS meals unless I have an extra TS from arriving at the resorts late night on check in.

thejens
03-22-2013, 12:47 AM
It has always been my favorite. I wish they would bring back the fois gras. It was to die for. For me, worth 2 T credits.