PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Lodge or POR?

thejens
03-17-2013, 01:32 AM
I am trying to decide. I have loved AKL, Poly, BCR, CR, and was surprised to also love French Quarter. I like the value of the moderate and through Riverside looked nice. We have our car, so don't usually take the busses. On the other hand, I love the proximity of Wilderness lodge. Thoughts?

iceicebritney
03-17-2013, 08:47 AM
Although I enjoy the WL theme, I really enjoy the options of dual resorts like Yacht/Beach Club and Port Orleans FQ/Riverside. It opens up the dining options which is really important to us.

Make sure you do your research before you decide. I like to check out recent resort photos and peruse the various resort amenities. The food court at POR Riverside is one of our favorites. Another nice feature at POR is the river boat to DTD. I don't know why but I really enjoy that boat ride. You need to determine what the most important amenities are for your needs so that you can have the most magical vacation possible.

bruin1344
03-17-2013, 10:15 AM
If you can afford it, Wilderness Lodge. I love the decor and the close proximity to MK.

mom2morgan
03-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Riverside is our absolute favourite moderate! If you're looking for a bit more luxury, I'd always take a deluxe over a mod...but since you mentioned the value of the moderates, I think you'd be very happy at Riverside. Good food court, lovely grounds, and I really enjoy the boat to DTD. We did the carriage ride last time and that was nice, too.

hauntedmansiongirl
03-17-2013, 12:52 PM
WL is on our bucket list! There are two things that keep us from staying there- not being able to guarantee a king bed and the small food court. We have been so often that we don't spend all day in the parks, so we love having the variety of a big food court. And Riverside Mill at POR is our favourite.

POR also has the boat rides that WL has- just they go to DTD vs MK. It's fun seeing the treehouses though. You may have seen that when you went to POFQ.

Enjoy planning and going on your vacation! :fworks:

JoDisney
03-17-2013, 01:55 PM
I have stayed at WL and POR. They are both very nice resorts. WL is great, as it is a boat ride to MK. The WL is beautiful. I love the atmosphere. I enjoy taking advantage of what the resort has to offer - nice pool, boat, atmosphere, restaurants, and great rooms. POR also has a boat. It will take you to only DTD, which you know since you stayed at POFQ. POR is a lovely, spread out resort. I like that you can park near your particular building. The main pool is great, as are the quiet pools. The food court is very good and has a large selection. WL Roaring Forks is a smaller food court, but it has good selections. Both resorts offer table service restaurants. Since you take your car to parks, you won't need to take the bus offered at POR to the parks. POR rooms are nice and refurbished and have queen size beds now. WL and POR are great resorts. You will love either resort. WL is a deluxe resort and will cost a little bit more. Both resorts should be experienced, and they are both lovely resorts.

CynBeth
03-17-2013, 02:48 PM
Depending on how long your trip is and what time of year you could maybe do a splt stay between the 2 resorts you are deciding between. We are trying it for the first time in Dec.

buzznwoodysmom
03-17-2013, 04:56 PM
We would always pick WL over POR. WL is our favorite deluxe resort, POR is our least favorite moderate. So for me there isn't even a chance I'd pick riverside over wilderness.

AndrewJackson
03-17-2013, 05:27 PM
You can do what we did this year. We are staying at VWL for 7 nights for about $100 more than POR. We rented DVC points.

We have stayed at POR a few times, and we really like it. However, we also love WL. You can't beat a boat ride to MK.

Donald Duck Rules
03-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Just got back from POR this past weekend. Great value and nice property. Very scenic and relaxing. I had the benefit of it being Florida resident rate, but great bang for the buck

PirateLover
03-21-2013, 05:32 PM
It really comes down to your style of vacationing and the value you get for your money. We haven't stayed at POR yet, although it's typically on our short list. We tend to veer away from the moderates. I feel that you don't get all that much extra bang for your buck for the price differential from the values. If you can swing WL, I would do it. We greatly enjoyed our stay there, although as mentioned earlier, the small food court can be an issue if you plan to eat there at peak times.

Crow
03-21-2013, 08:54 PM
WL :number1: if you can stay at it the whole time. or a split stay. Id always pick WL even though its not close to Epcot. the theming is so good.

Davy Crockett
03-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Wilderness Lodge always :thumbsup:
When they say "Welcome Home" they mean it. The resort is always bend over backwards friendly, great proximity to MK and only 10 to 15 mins to Epcot, HS - yes AK is a little bit of a hike.
After our last stay and the way Management handled an issue for us I would stay no where else.

#1donaldfan
03-26-2013, 01:00 PM
Riverside is great !! It has always been a favorite of the family. You will find the busses are just as great as of those at any other resort. The boat to DtD is my favorite thing and the short walk over to the FQ for their meatball sub !! Plus, if your're a runner there is not better place to run, than along the river ..with a close second to that of the hourglass lake at POP and Art of Animation.....

debbymc4
03-26-2013, 06:58 PM
I prefer POR to WL except for the boat to the MK. WL was very crowded and loud to me. I like the apartment complex-like feel of the moderates.

thejens
04-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Thank you so much for your thoughts. Funny, I just decided on WL, partly based on your comments. However, just invited some friends, who are avid runners and now I am wondering if they'd like POR... Or maybe they'd like AKL, or...

No doubt it will be fun no matter what!

VWL Mom
04-20-2013, 04:04 PM
However, just invited some friends, who are avid runners and now I am wondering if they'd like POR... Or maybe they'd like AKL, or...

You just couldn't leave well enough alone, could you? :mickey:

thejens
04-28-2013, 10:12 PM
Wilderness Lodge, it is! :mickey:
Now I am hoping for the September discount or free dining!

BrerGnat
04-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Thank you so much for your thoughts. Funny, I just decided on WL, partly based on your comments. However, just invited some friends, who are avid runners and now I am wondering if they'd like POR... Or maybe they'd like AKL, or...

No doubt it will be fun no matter what!

There is a trail between WL and Fort Wilderness that the runners would probably love.

I did not enjoy running around POR, for what it's worth. Not sure why, but I never felt like I was getting anywhere and it made my run feel really long and boring.