PDA

View Full Version : Knee Walker/Scooter allowed?

casey@bat
03-11-2013, 09:01 PM
My 13 yr. old daughter is on crutches for a broken growth plate in her ankle. I really don't want to push her around in a wheel chair all week. Does Disney allow knee walkers in the parks? I tried to attach a photo of one but couldn't. It has 3 or 4 wheels. You put your knee on the padded area and push with your good foot. It has brakes on the handle bars.

This is a link to a pic of one:
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Knee+Crutch+Rental&Form=IQFRDR#view=detail&id=07824DFCFB7F3650244D8E171C7BDC5B5DAB9A00&selectedIndex=17

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-11-2013, 10:21 PM
Yes, they are allowed.

However, know, there is TONS of walking at Disney and I think she might just get totally worn-out trying to navigate a park with one, especially if she hasn't used one before.

I pushed DD (14) around Disney on our last trip, and it was much easier than I expected, and I know she was sore from all of the walking (she had an ongoing ankle issue). She can manage at home, but all of those miles at Disney added up.

Pirate Granny
03-12-2013, 07:29 AM
I pushed my father in a wheelchair a couple of times...he didn't weigh much, under 125 lbs...we rented a child's wheelchair from Apria, they delivered to the resort. It was small and compact and I got a bag to put on the handles to carry stuff like a stroller and used glow in the dark puff paint to put his name on the bag...easy to spot in a crowd. Easy to push as we weigh about the same. You have to be careful people will walk in front of her and she herself could possible hit and knock someone down...you would be responsible...I'd put her in a chair...too many people, too many opportunities for kids or slow moving adults to walk right in front of her. Hope you have a good time...we have many happy memories of dad at Disney. BTW where are you going to put her scooter while on rides???? I would be afraid to leave outside, and they aren't going to let you bring it in on some rides????

BrerGnat
03-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Just looking at that thing, I can't imagine navigating WDW with one. That would put a lot of unnecessary strain on her good leg as well as on the knee that rests on the cushion. I think those things are more for just getting around in small areas (home, grocery store, etc.)

I think the rental of a child sized wheelchair (if appropriate, size wise) would be your best option.

MizMissy
03-12-2013, 09:06 AM
My secretary broke her foot and has been using one around the office (she has RA and crutches are too much strain on her hands and arms) and it works for going straight down hallways, but it does not turn or navigate tight spaces very well.

casey@bat
03-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Thanks for all the informative replies!

I think I will go with a wheel chair. At the high school where I work, a girl used one of the knee walkers. She got around pretty well and it is crowded. But Disney is a lot more walking. And I did worry about someone stealing it. Didn't think about her running into someone! Thanks!

LVT
03-14-2013, 07:15 AM
I would be worried about someone hitting the ankle. The crowds would make the knee-walker hard to see.