PDA

View Full Version : My 1st Solo Trip-Trip Report

T-Belle
03-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Hello everyone! Just got back from my 1st solo trip to the world. This is something I've wanted to do for awhile now and as my children are young adults with jobs and school, my traveling buddy list for this time of year is getting slim. So this was the perfect time alone. Also, it was my birthday! Sweet!

March 2-9

Quicksilver:
What a treat! I was picked up and returned to MCO in an Escalade. Very clean and a nice ride! My driver was waiting for me and very friendly. A great experience and a very reasonable price. I will recommend them and most certainly use their services again!

Shades of Green:
Just wonderful as always. A beautiful resort. My request for a room close to the elevators was granted. Always so clean. Life has a way of slapping you in the face and making you thankful for what you have when you get too "oh whoa is me"! I met a very sweet young woman with 4 boys. Very sweet and polite kids. Her husband had died recently on his second tour in the middle east. She told me that she didn't won't to come but she had to think of her boys. And because of the partnership between the military and Disney she was able to give her boys an affordable few days in the land of pixie dust and fantasy!! Puts your own life into perspective. Thanks Dept. of Defense and Disney! This heartbroken family is what it's all about!

The Parks:
Ahhhh...the smell of Main Street and sounds of EPCOT! How I love you!!! The crowds were light and very manageable.I was able to make MK opening ceremony twice. Gosh, I love this. And cry every time! It nerver gets old.
The new Fantasyland did not disappoint. My favorite was Enchanted Tales with Belle. It also was the longest wait time during my trip..45 minutes. BUT so worth it!! I spent 2 days in MK, 2 days in EPCOT and split one day at DHS and AK.

Something new:
After tossing around the idea for years I decided to take The Keys To The Kingdom tour. I was one of those that feared loosing the magic. Not!! Some of the information I new but most did not and Disney is still the most magical place on earth! And going backstage and down into the utilidors was SO exciting! There were 20 of us. Including 2 guys that just didn't seem to fit. But hey, Disney lovers come in all shapes and sizes right? more about them later. And the only other single, like myself, was an Australian Disney Channel employee. She has been to all the Disney parks world wide and was just so sweet. Plus, she had that great accent and of course loved all things Disney! She became my lunch and ride buddy during the tour. Our guide was Chris. He was so knowledgeable. He told us how he had been coming to WDW since he was 4. He went thru the College program and his first job at Disney was cleaning the strollers. Yuck!! But he was a WDW cast member!! He worked in merchandising, then rides in DHS and his favorite job-concierge for guests staying in the castle during The Year of a Million dreams! Now, even tho he has a degree in Criminal Justice he has decided to stay at WDW. Chris was such a great tour guide. At the end of the tour he told us such a heart warming story about his Mom going thru radiation therapy for breast cancer. She wanted to listen to music from Wishes during her treatments. This was the only music she would listen to. She's now cancer free and he credits Disney magic partly for this. After he ended with this story, the 2 out of place guys spoke up and congratulated Chris for his 1st tour!! Yes, the guys I thought didn't seem to fit as your average tour goer's were actually senior tour guides!! They presented Chris with a tour "pointer stick" and we all gave him a round of applause. So fun!

Lessons Learned:
Wear a watch!!! My cell died everyday around noon,all those pics I was sending out to family. Then I wouldn't be able to tell what time it was. Maybe this doesn't bother other's but it's one of my OCD things!!
And this brings us to lesson #2 and it's a biggie! My last day was spent in the MK. I made several purchases and had them sent to the front of the park for pick up. So...it was about 7:30pm when I picked up the pkg's and left the park. I took a quick peek in the bags to make sure I had everything, blew a kiss to the castle and left for my room. Back in the room I changed into my pj's and I couldn't put off packing up any longer. And that's when I saw it!!! The new tote bag I had bought earlier that day still had the security device on it!!! Ya know, the kind that explodes paint if you try to take it off?!?!! Panic!! What was I going to do???? It was about 8:45. MK closes at 10. I quickly got dressed and ran to the front desk. He put me on the phone to someone that told me to take it to the SOG souvenir shop. Wrong!! The clerk there said they didn't have the tool to remove it but that it happens a lot! I had no other choice. I got on the bus and headed to TTC all the time hoping that the gift shop there would still be open so I wouldn't have to try to get in the MK as it was closing very soon. I was the only person on the bus. Everyone else was leaving the parks. Did I mention I was leaving at 9am the next morning??? Well, I made it to the TTC gift shop, and explained what happened. The CM asked for my receipt and removed the device. I was expecting and thought I deserved some kind of apology. Instead he gave me a rambling of excuses. "we're so busy, there's lots of people...blah, blah, blah." Seriously???? This ain't my 1st rodeo. I greatly admire all that the CM's do and a "I'm so sorry this happened to you" was what I wanted to hear. So lesson learned? Check merchandise for security devices befor leaving the park!

Cast Member: Most were as fantastic as only Disney employs! With the exception of a few things that just kind of rubbed me wrong. The first-see above CM at TTC gift shop. One at a kiosk in EPCOT. I mentioned how pretty the sun catchers were and he snorted a "yeah" at me. And the CM where I picked up my pkgs. I had to sign a receipt that I had picked up my pkgs and when I asked if I sign anywhere on the paper she gave me a "yep". I grabbed my bags and said thank you and got another "yep"! It's just those little things. Not really a big deal and maybe I'm just an old school southern Mama but I don't like to be "Yeahed or yeped"!

Going Solo: I may have been alone but I was never lonely! I had great conversations with many, many people. Some inviting me to join their family on rides. I never did, but it was nice to be asked. I went at my own pace, riding all the things I love and skipping the one's I could live without. I sat in the warm sunshine at Epcot and watched people passing by. I ate counter service and table service. I never felt awkward at any time. It was wonderful and I would jump at the chance to do it again!

Well, that's it. Not sure when my next trip will be. Or if it will be another solo one.
Thank you so much for reading!

Disneywarrior
03-11-2013, 02:44 PM
I enjoyed your report! Thanks!

Dopey's Girl
03-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Welcome to the land of Solo travelers! I love my solo trips. You're right, I have never been lonely! There are far too many wonderful people to talk too!

cer
03-11-2013, 03:02 PM
What a fun trip!

Bummer about the security tags. They really *should* have removal devices at all the resorts. What a hassle, but glad you were able to get there on time.

Great story about the tour guide being recognized for his first tour!

KiNg4aDaY
03-11-2013, 05:51 PM
I LOVE going to the parks alone. I can come and go from wherever I want without dragging other people along and I can go at the speed that I want.

Like you said I have never felt like I was alone. I talk to people in Que lines all the time! let me tell you the single rider line was built for people like us!!

faline
03-11-2013, 06:11 PM
What a terrific solo trip you had, Joan!! Thanks for sharing it with us!! (Of course, you certainly could have lived without the last evening dash to the Magic Kingdom!!)

disney obsessed
03-11-2013, 07:17 PM
I love the solo trip. :thumbsup:

DisneyorBust
03-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Thanks for sharing your trip report! I was glad to read that you had a such a great first solo trip. I'm saying 'first' because I bet that it won't be your last! :thumbsup:

Pirate Granny
03-11-2013, 08:36 PM
At least you found the tag before you left...I've had things shipped home with the TAG...twice....ugh...J.C. Penneys will remove the tag

January-2007
03-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the trip report and happy birthday!

Patricia
03-11-2013, 10:16 PM
I've been able to spend solo days at parks, never an entire trip. Yet.

Sounds like you really enjoyed it. Happy belated!

I've come home with the security device too.. had it removed at a shop in the mall. Fortunately, they do not sell Goofy hats and knew it had been a mistake. :blush:

hauntedmansiongirl
03-12-2013, 06:36 AM
What a pain with the security tag! It would have to happen right before you left too! So glad that it all worked out in the end for you!!!

VWL Mom
03-12-2013, 07:21 AM
Sounds like a great trip, thanks for sharing :mickey:

emerzmom
03-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Sounds like a great trip and a wonderful time. Your story about Chris's mom brought tears to my eyes. I do believe in Disney magic!!!!
:tink:
Julie

joannep2bc
03-21-2013, 07:11 PM
I am a solo traveler too and I could so relate to your trip report. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. I also can relate to it taking so very little to enhance customer service....like an apology for your inconvenience. Those are the little omissions that mean a lot to me too. Seems to be lost somewhat on the younger generation. Glad you had a magical time anyway.:thumbsup:

vizsla
03-22-2013, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the report.

conan617
03-29-2013, 03:57 PM
What a great trip. I recently went from a family of 4 to me and 2 little ones 50% of the time. My DS and DD are getting to the middle school age and getting involved in activities meaning they aren't up for as much travel. That also means I am all alone for half the year and tyring to use Disney magic to get me through this time. I was considering a solo trip in a year or so and wondered how it would go. I mean - a late 30s single guy at all the parks??? Is that creepy? - I sure hope not.

tinksmom02
04-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Great trip report, so glad you had a good time! Although that last minute trek to get your security tag removed was a bummer. Doing Disney solo is on my bucket list--hopefully someday!