PDA

View Full Version : Change to Park Entry Minimum Age Requirement

DizneyFreak2002
03-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Disney is changing the minimum age requirement for entering the parks without an adult...

Beginning March 23, 2013, all guests under 14 must be accompanied by an adult or another member of the party who is at least 14 years of age... Current policy states anyone under 7 must be accompanied by a guest 14 and older...

BrerGnat
03-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Interesting. Wonder what prompted that change? Although, seems ridiculous that a 7 year old could enter the parks alone.

Mickey'sGirl
03-11-2013, 01:58 PM
Although, seems ridiculous that a 7 year old could enter the parks alone.I was thinking the same thing! Could you imagine the mayhem at the ice cream carts? :bar:

TinkerbellT421
03-11-2013, 02:41 PM
wow, I agree. I didn't even think that a 7 year old could enter a park by themselves. Not sure I would want my 7 year old to do that...

but not to veer OT I guess. Interesting to say the least. :cool:

Tekneek
03-11-2013, 03:27 PM
So, does this park entry age requirement mean that they have to stay with them the entire time? Is this just meant to stop locals from dropping their kids off and leaving?

Given that kids 11+ are paying adult prices, seems like they should have adult access.

PirateLover
03-11-2013, 03:56 PM
7 is a bit young, but 14 might be too high. On our first trip, I went one morning to MK with only my brother. He was 13 and I was 9. From age 11+ I was going to plenty of places regularly where my parents didn't stay with me and I met up with friends. When our school would take the "family" picnic trip to the local amusement park, most of the parents would hang out at the picnic tables while the kids were off on their own. I think Tekneek is right. It may be more of an issue with locals. I can't imagine most families on vacation make it a common practice to send their young kids to a different park.

MNNHFLTX
03-11-2013, 04:18 PM
So, does this park entry age requirement mean that they have to stay with them the entire time? Is this just meant to stop locals from dropping their kids off and leaving?

Given that kids 11+ are paying adult prices, seems like they should have adult access.Given the wording, I would think this just ensures that children under 14 have a responsible adult or older child entering the parks with them. I don't know how they would enforce that the parents stay with them once they get into the parks.

As far as the cost for an 11-year-old entering the park, I see that as related to the ability of the child to access all the attractions in the park, not necessarily that they're mature enough to do so unsupervised.

Tekneek
03-11-2013, 04:21 PM
As far as the cost for an 11-year-old entering the park, I see that as related to the ability of the child to access all the attractions in the park, not necessarily that they're mature enough to do so unsupervised.

I understand the business reason behind the pricing. I see this as a flaw in doing away with the junior ticket, though. Not only do they charge an 11 year old the same as an adult, but require an adult pay to get in with them. Effectively doubling the cost of a ticket for an 11 year old, since the adult is not able to get some type of "no-ride" pass to enter the park.

buzznwoodysmom
03-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Interesting.

My kiddos are now 13 and 11, and still don't think that I would allow even the 13 year old to head to the parks without an adult.

However, on our trip last month we allowed our 13 year old son and his 13 year old cousin to go to Tom Sawyer Island alone. We met them there about 15 minutes later. They absolutely LOVED that little bit of freedom we gave them. That was our first day in the parks. We allowed them to wander off a bit most days at both Disney and Universal. I would hope this new age requirement is only for entrance into the parks. We were looking forward to allowing the kids bits of freedom on our future trips.

Tekneek
03-11-2013, 04:45 PM
If they are letting them onto rides without adults, to get food without adults, etc, then requiring an adult enter the gate with them sounds more like a cash grab. An adult could enter the gate and then turn around and leave. The policy accomplishes nothing beyond forcing them to pay for two tickets. If there are issues with responsibility, this policy does nothing to address them.

DizneyRox
03-11-2013, 04:46 PM
I understand the business reason behind the pricing. I see this as a flaw in doing away with the junior ticket, though. Not only do they charge an 11 year old the same as an adult, but require an adult pay to get in with them. Effectively doubling the cost of a ticket for an 11 year old, since the adult is not able to get some type of "no-ride" pass to enter the park.
Yeah, I we would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for that blasted Internet!

Interesting thought... Regardless of the maturity level, this does seem to be a plus for the revenue column.

Tekneek
03-11-2013, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I we would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for that blasted Internet!

Interesting thought... Regardless of the maturity level, this does seem to be a plus for the revenue column.

I am definitely not arguing that an 11 year old is mature enough to enter the park and manage themselves all day (I do know that I went to a Six Flags park when I was 12 and 13 without adults and did just fine - but not part of my point). I had not previously thought about it, but I would love for Disney to be able to offer some sort of "companion" / "no attraction" ticket for adults that were entering just so this pre-teen can enjoy the attractions.

Ms. Mode
03-12-2013, 09:36 AM
I find it interesting that they have said a 14 year old with ANOTHER 14 year old. To me, they are just trying to protect young people. Let's face it, there are mean people who prey on the young and there is strength in numbers.

I would never have dreamed of letting my DD go without one or both of us (or a friend if that were the case) into any situation.

I don't know about the revenue end, but if they were to offer a "special" ticket to an adult just because they are bring a young person then they would have no revenue at all.

Tekneek
03-12-2013, 10:18 AM
I don't know about the revenue end, but if they were to offer a "special" ticket to an adult just because they are bring a young person then they would have no revenue at all.

Why would they suddenly have no revenue at all?

Butters
03-12-2013, 12:23 PM
I may be in the minority but I think it should be raised to 16!

Lets face it our own kids are always responsible, knows the park, respectful of others, done it 100x... The problem is everyone else's kids :mickey:

The decision making of groups of pre-teens is always questionable and I think Disney wants to protect their other guests from this ruining their experience.

One big example is going to the mall, some of the language I hear is very inappropriate, especially to my 2yr DD who repeats everything. Other things could be small things like a group of kids making fun of character that "aren't real" when little kids are in earshot and ruining the magic.

I know this can happen even when supervised but most of the time supervision helps since it would not be expected of a 12 year old to think about small actions effecting others.

BrerGnat
03-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Maybe it's related. Maybe it's not.

BUT, part of MyMagic+ is that guests 13 and under are not "tracked" in the parks, nor can they have magic bands with charging privileges.

Perhaps this is Disney's way of making sure that those guests 12 and under are able to utilize MyMagic+ (and allows Disney to track the "family").

Tekneek
03-12-2013, 01:13 PM
I don't have a problem with the age requirement, per se. I wouldn't send a kid that age into the park all by themselves.

I'm just pointing out that merely requiring someone to enter the park with them, rather than be with them all day, accomplishes nothing more than being able to charge for two adults instead of one. If the child is going to do something irresponsible, is that prevented because a parent entered the gate with them and then left 10 minutes later? I don't see how.

Fangorn
03-12-2013, 03:34 PM
I had not previously thought about it, but I would love for Disney to be able to offer some sort of "companion" / "no attraction" ticket for adults that were entering just so this pre-teen can enjoy the attractions.

Back in the "Good Ol' Days" of the ABCDE ticket coupons, there actually was a General Admission ticket. In the early days of Disneyland, it was very common for parents or grandparents to bring the kids but not actually intend to go on any rides themselves. I distinctly remember going in the mid 60's - a 10 ticket book was around $3.50 and General Admission was like 50 cents. Often, parents would opt for General Admission and then end up buying individual tickets when the kiddos wanted mom or dad to go on the tea cups or the train with them. Individual tickets were significantly more expensive than the same tickets bundled in a ticket book.

Steve

TinkerbellT421
03-17-2013, 09:10 AM
Interesting. Wonder what prompted that change? Although, seems ridiculous that a 7 year old could enter the parks alone.

Saw an article on nbcnews this morning, allegedly the spokesperson from disney said no particular event triggered the change. Just that periodically they review their policies and occasionally make changes. Here's the link. If someone could change it to a quote that would be great, being on the iPad I can't copy and paste very easily :/

http://m.nbcnews.com/travel/disney-bans-kids-under-14-entering-parks-alone-1C8910402

Katzateer
03-17-2013, 09:25 AM
I wouldn't let my child into a park without an adult until they were at least 16. The idea of letting kids run around unsupervised is not a good idea for a lot of reasons. But the same people that let middle school kids roam the malls alone would let the kids roam the parks without adults.

Some kids might be mature enough but too much could happen and I think they should require an adult to keep the kids safe and not causing problems for other park guests.

gerald72
03-17-2013, 09:30 AM

Given that kids 11+ are paying adult prices, seems like they should have adult access.

Exactly. They are adults when Disney wants their money.

Ian
03-17-2013, 10:15 AM
Yeah, this is clearly just a revenue play. Disney sees the potential that every child 14 and under that currently comes to the parks now could come with an adult and that adult would have to pay admission.

I can't imagine that's a huge thing in WDW, but I know in DL that would boost revenues tremendously. Assuming the parents actually do it, of course. I'd imagine there will be a pretty big backlash out in CA.

bruin1344
03-17-2013, 10:24 AM
My 12/13 year old self in the 1990s would be mad. That was the age I was allowed to split up from the parents and go to the parks with my siblings/cousins of the same age only.

SandmanGStefani24
03-17-2013, 12:33 PM
so how does this affect the tour groups? not all of them are over 14, do they have to have an adult for all the ones under, or can they just use the same chaperone/teacher?

Main Street Jim
03-17-2013, 01:05 PM
so how does this affect the tour groups? not all of them are over 14, do they have to have an adult for all the ones under, or can they just use the same chaperone/teacher?
As long as the group is in the accompaniment of an adult (chaperone).

EeyoresBestFriend
03-17-2013, 02:19 PM
I think it's a fabulous idea.

Disney isn't a babysitting or respite service. As much as we would like to think our children are smart and grown up, they are still children and we are responsible for their actions at that age.

And if anyone in the parks has ever had to deal with an unruly group of teens that are without adult supervision is truly honest, I really can't see them disagreeing with this policy.

Just my :twocents:

TysMomTink
03-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Perhaps I am naive but there are parents who would drop off an under 14 year old alone to places like DL? Seriously?

Pirate Granny
03-17-2013, 03:43 PM
So, perhaps Disney should give UP revenue and raise the adult pricing to 14 and over...then the tickets would designate those under 14..and magic + could be specific colors...also to designate but not track????

Mickey'sGirl
03-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Perhaps I am naive but there are parents who would drop off an under 14 year old alone to places like DL? Seriously?ABsolutely I would drop of my son and his friends at a theme park at age 13 or 14. He makes his way around Toronto on public transit by himself, he certainly can handle a theme park with his friends.

Tekneek
03-18-2013, 01:28 PM
So, perhaps Disney should give UP revenue and raise the adult pricing to 14 and over...then the tickets would designate those under 14..and magic + could be specific colors...also to designate but not track????

It won't happen, but I wouldn't have a single complaint about this policy if they did do that.

As to those claiming this will resolve some supposed problem with immature children wreaking havoc, a park entrance policy (that does not require adults accompany them throughout the park the rest of the day) doesn't address that problem at all. If it was meant to address that problem, they would require that adult accompany them into every ride queue, restaurant queue, store, and exit the park with them as well. Given the lack of that requirement, and the only requirement being for park entry, there is only one logical conclusion we can draw from this change.

BrerGnat
03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
Perhaps I am naive but there are parents who would drop off an under 14 year old alone to places like DL? Seriously?

TONS of parents do this at Disneyland. It's a very well used way to get your kids out of the house on weekend, school breaks, and most weekday afternoons. The amount of parents who use DL as a free babysitter is actually staggeringly huge. Disney used to have no issue with it, and even has established "drop off" zones for this. However, my guess is that Disney doesn't want the liability and aggravation anymore. My GUESS is that it has more to do with MyMagic+ (and it's associated RFID tracking) than anything else) but it's also highly possible that there are legal reasons for it beyond that. California is one of the most strict states in the country, as far as liability laws are concerned, and lawsuits are aplenty out there. I would wager a guess that this new policy is the result of a silent lawsuit "settlement" of one sort or another. Or, Disney is just tired of dealing with unsupervised kids in their parks. :blush:

But yes, go to Disneyland on any random weekday where there is a day off from school and you will see TONS of groups of kids/tweens/teens walking around without a parent present.

Aurora
03-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Maybe it's related. Maybe it's not.

BUT, part of MyMagic+ is that guests 13 and under are not "tracked" in the parks, nor can they have magic bands with charging privileges.

Perhaps this is Disney's way of making sure that those guests 12 and under are able to utilize MyMagic+ (and allows Disney to track the "family").

Makes sense.

I'm actually surprised it took them this long to make such a change. An 8-year-old could have walked into the parks all by himself before? I have a word for what I call my 8-year-old roaming the parks by himself: Lost.

That said, I have no problem with letting 14-year-olds in the parks under their own supervision. There are thousands of kids in Chicago who take public transportation to and from school all by themselves at that age, and many 14-year-olds are in high school. If they can navigate the real world with responsibility, I don't see the rarified world of Disney being a problem.

It won't happen, but I wouldn't have a single complaint about this policy if they did do that.

As to those claiming this will resolve some supposed problem with immature children wreaking havoc, a park entrance policy (that does not require adults accompany them throughout the park the rest of the day) doesn't address that problem at all. If it was meant to address that problem, they would require that adult accompany them into every ride queue, restaurant queue, store, and exit the park with them as well. Given the lack of that requirement, and the only requirement being for park entry, there is only one logical conclusion we can draw from this change.

:ditto:

MNNHFLTX
03-18-2013, 06:26 PM

As to those claiming this will resolve some supposed problem with immature children wreaking havoc, a park entrance policy (that does not require adults accompany them throughout the park the rest of the day) doesn't address that problem at all. If it was meant to address that problem, they would require that adult accompany them into every ride queue, restaurant queue, store, and exit the park with them as well. Given the lack of that requirement, and the only requirement being for park entry, there is only one logical conclusion we can draw from this change.While your conclusion might be partially correct, I do see this new rule as cutting down on the number of tweens and young teens roaming the parks alone. It would deter some parents if they knew that they would have to accompany their kids into the parks (or find someone 14 years or older to do the same), instead of just dropping them off. And I'm not sure increasing revenue would be the primary incentive in Disneyland, since my guess is that many locals already have annual passes of one sort or another.

DizneyFreak2002
03-18-2013, 10:51 PM
I think Ian and Nat got the closest... Yes, this is a cash grab to continue the inflation of the bottom line (for WDW, it continues the artificial increasing of the bottom line)...

I think it also plays on COPPA... Companies cannot legally track and collect data on minors 13 and under... By forcing 13 and under to be accompanied by an adult, Disney can use that as the adult consenting to allow Disney to collect the minor's information and track him/her through the park...

I don't think it has anything to do with rowdy teens in the park... Once through the gate, the kids can go off their own way with no adult supervision...

This screams of money grab and COPPA compliance...

Tekneek
03-19-2013, 07:23 AM
I think it also plays on COPPA... Companies cannot legally track and collect data on minors 13 and under... By forcing 13 and under to be accompanied by an adult, Disney can use that as the adult consenting to allow Disney to collect the minor's information and track him/her through the park...

Would Children's Online Privacy Protection Act actually apply to a physical location? Perhaps the compliance is in the form of not having any significant PII on the child, but hoping to have a better profile on the adult, and linking them together to form a whole profile.

Even if that is the case, there is nothing that verifies the "adult" they enter with is anything more than an "adult." Nothing that requires they be a legal guardian, parent, etc, or have even known you before you met them in the parking lot.

ERJDriver
03-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Also, how is this even going to be enforced? The article says if a cast member suspects them of being under 14 they will start a conversation with them to determine age since most kids that age don't carry id. I'm pretty sure any kid over the age of 9 or 10 is going to be smart enough to say I'm 14 when asked, and what CM is going to want to deal with the hassle of trying to determine a borderline looking child's age?

BrerGnat
03-19-2013, 12:17 PM
Also, how is this even going to be enforced? The article says if a cast member suspects them of being under 14 they will start a conversation with them to determine age since most kids that age don't carry id. I'm pretty sure any kid over the age of 9 or 10 is going to be smart enough to say I'm 14 when asked, and what CM is going to want to deal with the hassle of trying to determine a borderline looking child's age?

It's not that hard. The Magic Bands/RFID tickets will have the guests birth dates programmed into them. If a kid under 14 tries to get in, there will likely be some sort of notification that pops up for the CM to see. This is how Disney Cruise line enforces age limitations in their different kids clubs.

DizneyFreak2002
03-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Would Children's Online Privacy Protection Act actually apply to a physical location? Perhaps the compliance is in the form of not having any significant PII on the child, but hoping to have a better profile on the adult, and linking them together to form a whole profile.

Even if that is the case, there is nothing that verifies the "adult" they enter with is anything more than an "adult." Nothing that requires they be a legal guardian, parent, etc, or have even known you before you met them in the parking lot.

May be an extension... Everything about MyMagic+ or NextGen or My Disney Experience is all online... So, Disney cannot collect information from a minor 13 or under, online... Chances are an adult is making the reservation and going to book ADRs and FastPass+ ride times, and by doing so, the adult is now granting consent to Disney to gather the minor's information...

A case can be made that this extends to the theme parks... FastPass+ ride times will not be on a printed out ticket, instead it will be available via the app (online)... ADRs the same... Tracking the guests via the app and the RFID bands/cards could all tie together...

I think it is Disney just getting ahead of any complaints or issues or another letter from certain representatives in Congress (trying to avoid having to testify on Capitol Hill and having their true intentions revealed to the whole world.. bad press and all)...

This affects WDW a lot more than Disneyland... I am sure the Disneyland locals won't care so much as they are AP holders, tickets already paid for... The guests most affected will be WDW guests... now adults who may not have planned on buying tickets will have to... WDW needs any way it can to keep artificially driving the bottom line up...

Tekneek
03-19-2013, 01:04 PM

Aurora
03-19-2013, 02:10 PM
This affects WDW a lot more than Disneyland... I am sure the Disneyland locals won't care so much as they are AP holders, tickets already paid for... The guests most affected will be WDW guests... now adults who may not have planned on buying tickets will have to... WDW needs any way it can to keep artificially driving the bottom line up...

But really, how many people are we talking about? How many parents of kids 13 or younger go to WDW and buy fewer ticket days than their tweens? And if they're locals, wouldn't they also have APs?

It just seems unlikely that the number of people who don't go through the WDW gates with their younger kids is a big enough percentage to make any kind of real money dent.

DizneyFreak2002
03-19-2013, 02:24 PM
But really, how many people are we talking about? How many parents of kids 13 or younger go to WDW and buy fewer ticket days than their tweens? And if they're locals, wouldn't they also have APs?

It just seems unlikely that the number of people who don't go through the WDW gates with their younger kids is a big enough percentage to make any kind of real money dent.

May be more than we think... Say parents have a 10 year old and a 13 year old... The kids want to go to MK while the adults want to spend one of the days relaxing by the pool or at one of the onsite spas... Prior to the new rule, the kids would hop the bus and off they went while the parents took a day to get pampered... Two tickets bought instead of 3 or 4... Now, with this new rule, the parents have to buy that extra ticket or two when previously they didn't have to... The MK gets 17 million visitors a year... Say 2 million of those have been kids entering without their parents... Now, WDW will see an extra 2 million (possibly an extra 4 million) tickets sold.. At $100 a ticket, that adds up...

While I doubt many parents let their 8 year old run wild in the parks by themselves, plenty do let their 12 or 13 year olds go off alone...

WDW has to pay for this nearly $2 billion NextGen nonsense... One easy way is to change the rules so more money has to be spent by guests...

Granny Jill A
03-19-2013, 02:46 PM
As a grandmother, I am a professional worrier when it comes to my grandkids. All I can think of is "what if"......

What if they got sick in the park and there was no adult or chaperone around?

What if they got injured?

What if they acted up and got in trouble?

They wouldn't need to be joined at the hip with an escort, but it makes good sense to have someone available by cellphone in case one of the "what if's" came true.

MNNHFLTX
03-19-2013, 05:25 PM
May be more than we think... Say parents have a 10 year old and a 13 year old... The kids want to go to MK while the adults want to spend one of the days relaxing by the pool or at one of the onsite spas... Prior to the new rule, the kids would hop the bus and off they went while the parents took a day to get pampered... Two tickets bought instead of 3 or 4... Now, with this new rule, the parents have to buy that extra ticket or two when previously they didn't have to... The MK gets 17 million visitors a year... Say 2 million of those have been kids entering without their parents... Now, WDW will see an extra 2 million (possibly an extra 4 million) tickets sold.. At $100 a ticket, that adds up...
See, I still don't totally see the logic in this arguement. WDW is destination vacation and based on what I have seen and heard on the boards, families tend to buy their tickets/passes as a group (and almost never buy individual tickets for a multi-day stay). I can honestly say that I have never heard one parent ask a question or indicate they intend to buy a shorter pass for themself so that they can send their kids into the parks alone and they can relax back at the hotel. Some parents have asked how old a child should be to be able to venture off alone for a short time while in the parks. And maybe some parents would allow their older children to go off on their own to a park. But to plan for it as a way of saving money? I doubt that it is a common practice. Even the locals would be unlikely to drop their kids off because it is a major undertaking to drive them onto property--definitely not like dropping them off at a nearby mall.

As far as Disneyland, that is a whole other matter. It is more of a community attraction and I can see that locals are more likely to drop their kids off (or allow them to take a bus or walk, etc). But then again, if you're local in Anaheim or the surrounding communities you are definitely more likely to have an annual pass anyway and Disney would not get any more money out of the parents even if they did pull them into the park with their kids.

Anyway, that is my take on it. I won't even venture into what part NextGen might play in this as there are many on here much more versed on that than myself.

Melanie
03-19-2013, 05:57 PM
See, I still don't totally see the logic in this arguement. WDW is destination vacation and based on what I have seen and heard on the boards, families tend to buy their tickets/passes as a group (and almost never buy individual tickets for a multi-day stay). I can honestly say that I have never heard one parent ask a question or indicate they intend to buy a shorter pass for themself so that they can send their kids into the parks alone and they can relax back at the hotel. Some parents have asked how old a child should be to be able to venture off alone for a short time while in the parks. And maybe some parents would allow their older children to go off on their own to a park. But to plan for it as a way of saving money? I doubt that it is a common practice. Even the locals would be unlikely to drop their kids off because it is a major undertaking to drive them onto property--definitely not like dropping them off at a nearby mall.

As far as Disneyland, that is a whole other matter. It is more of a community attraction and I can see that locals are more likely to drop their kids off (or allow them to take a bus or walk, etc). But then again, if you're local in Anaheim or the surrounding communities you are definitely more likely to have an annual pass anyway and Disney would not get any more money out of the parents even if they did pull them into the park with their kids.

Anyway, that is my take on it. I won't even venture into what part NextGen might play in this as there are many on here much more versed on that than myself.

I totally agree, Beth. We've all been around these boards and thousands of discussions for many years, and the whole 'sending the kids off to the parks alone so we can relax' scenario is not one I can ever recall being discussed. Not that it hasn't been discussed, and not that it doesn't ever happen, but I don't think it's common at all.

Cheshire_Girl
03-20-2013, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=Butters;2340253]I may be in the minority but I think it should be raised to 16!

[QUOTE]

Then I'm in the minority with you. Everyones' kids are fabuous respectful little angels when their parents are around...totally different story when they are un-supervised.

I wish they would raise it...and enforce it.
And as far as ticket prices go- an 11 yr old can pretty much enjoy all of the experiences the park offers-so why shouldn't their ticket reflect that? Just listen to all the hubbub about wrist bracelets for the RFID...well how do you think they would enforce a no ride ticket? There would have to be some type of bracelet that could not be removed without a specuial tool upon exit...otherwise the CM's would have to check all of our tickets at every ride to make sure we weren't trying to ride when we didn't pay full price...Imagine the long waits that would create??

Tekneek
03-20-2013, 05:56 PM
If the families buy all their tickets as a group, then the policy makes even less sense. Let's assume they don't make an extra dollar off of this change. There is nothing about it that stops the parent from turning around and leaving the park 5 minutes later. Not one single thing.

If they bought the tickets as a "package", then they don't care about using up a day, because they bought them effectively as "length of stay" tickets most likely. They have factored it into the cost and don't care where they spend the day, or if a day is used up by 5 minutes in one park or not. They weren't going to call the office and ask for an extra day of vacation because they had unused ticket time anyway.

Tekneek
03-20-2013, 06:01 PM
well how do you think they would enforce a no ride ticket? There would have to be some type of bracelet that could not be removed without a specuial tool upon exit...otherwise the CM's would have to check all of our tickets at every ride to make sure we weren't trying to ride when we didn't pay full price...Imagine the long waits that would create??

I understand your point here, but this is a problem that Disney created for themselves. They decided to charge 11 - 13 year old children just like adults. They decided to not let them enter the park like an adult. These are choices the Disney company made. Not me. They are the ones responsible for it.

Maybe they should bring back the Junior ticket. Perhaps they could call it the Tweener, for 11-13 year olds, with some price break to account for the fact that Disney is requiring an adult ticket be purchased and used for them to enter any park.

MNNHFLTX
03-20-2013, 07:13 PM
I understand your point here, but this is a problem that Disney created for themselves. They decided to charge 11 - 13 year old children just like adults. They decided to not let them enter the park like an adult. These are choices the Disney company made. Not me. They are the ones responsible for it.

Maybe they should bring back the Junior ticket. Perhaps they could call it the Tweener, for 11-13 year olds, with some price break to account for the fact that Disney is requiring an adult ticket be purchased and used for them to enter any park.I guess for me, this is a non--issue. I didn't mind paying adult price for my son when he was in the 10-13 year-old-range because he definitely rode all the rides and could enjoy the parks to their fullest. Nor did it ever occur to me to let him enter the parks alone, even when we lived in central Florida. It was a family destination, still is. :mickey:

Paying adult price (to me) correlates to the usage of the park, not that kids should have all the adult privileges (or responsibilities). Heck, he's 20 now and legally an adult but can't drink, gamble or rent a car. But we as a society seem fine with that. ;)

Tekneek
03-20-2013, 07:33 PM
I suppose I am the type that doesn't like bad policy, whether or not it is likely to impact me or my family. I might test this policy out later this year and see what happens.

Mickey'sGirl
03-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Heck, he's 20 now and legally an adult but can't drink, gamble or rent a car. But we as a society seem fine with that. ;)You gotta come north! 18 for gambling and car rental, and 19 to have an adult bevvie! ;)

AgentC
03-20-2013, 10:47 PM
I guess for me, this is a non--issue. I didn't mind paying adult price for my son when he was in the 10-13 year-old-range because he definitely rode all the rides and could enjoy the parks to their fullest. Nor did it ever occur to me to let him enter the parks alone, even when we lived in central Florida. It was a family destination, still is. :mickey:

I'm with Beth on this. It's really a non issue for me. We have had season passes for years. The children's passes used to be about $30 cheaper than the adult. Now unlike the regular tickers, annual passes are the same prices for children and adults. My 4 year old costs what I do. I'm pretty sure no one will think I should let her wander the park alone because she is paying an adult price.

Could money be a factor? I suppose, but it is probably not the only factor. As a comparison the local children museum in Tampa does not allow anyone under the age of 18 in without someone over 18. When I take my children there I have to pay to get in and there are no adult activities. I am paying to supervise my child. :)

Tekneek
03-21-2013, 04:54 AM
Could money be a factor? I suppose, but it is probably not the only factor. As a comparison the local children museum in Tampa does not allow anyone under the age of 18 in without someone over 18. When I take my children there I have to pay to get in and there are no adult activities. I am paying to supervise my child. :)

It is more than just an entrance policy there. If you're talking about the place I think you are, then these rules also apply:

No adults allowed in without children.
No children (under 18) allowed in without adult.
It also requires that the adults stay with the children the entire time they are in the museum.

If Disney's policy required the adult to accompany the child all of the time, I would have less of a problem with it. It is pretty clear that this is an entrance policy only. As such, what does it accomplish?

AgentC
03-21-2013, 07:48 AM
It is more than just an entrance policy there. If you're talking about the place I think you are, then these rules also apply:

No adults allowed in without children.
No children (under 18) allowed in without adult.
It also requires that the adults stay with the children the entire time they are in the museum.

If Disney's policy required the adult to accompany the child all of the time, I would have less of a problem with it. It is pretty clear that this is an entrance policy only. As such, what does it accomplish?

Yes, it does. The no adult entrance makes sense in there rules because there is really no reason an adult would ever want to go there alone. And yes they do have the rule that you are supposed to supervise but they also offer free WiFi for adults and have numerous places where you can sit and technically "supervise" your child without being able to see them. Also despite this policy I was able to exit the museum and renter without my children. They were with my friend but the people at the door did not know that. So any policy has its flaws.

It would be next to impossible for a any theme park to verify that an adult accompany a child at all times. And I don't think Disney wants to force someone to ride something that they do not like or is dangerous for them to accompany a child. And I'm sure they may have considered that some parents may just walk the kid through then leave but I think for most that would be a lot of effort. Thinking about MK as a local, it is pretty easy to drop someone off in the drop off zone, but a lot more effort to drive in, park, take the monorail over and then just leave.

And I suppose it might have made more sense it they made the age 18 instead of 14, but is it a bad idea to have what is probably going to be an adult at least somewhere in the park in case something happens to a 11 or 12 year as opposed to being an hour away? Even something as simple as falling and getting injured? I realize we can leave all our children at daycare or a at children's club at Disney or various other places and are children can get hurt when we are not around.But again is it a bad idea to at least try to mitigate the possibility?

It might be a money grab. It might be a COPPA thing. Or it might be something that has a reason none of know. For me, it is not a big deal. My children are still quite far from being old enough to be in a park alone but I understand why it may be an issue for others.

BrerGnat
03-21-2013, 08:01 AM
I suppose I am the type that doesn't like bad policy, whether or not it is likely to impact me or my family. I might test this policy out later this year and see what happens.

Why would you do that? For starters, Disney could simply ban you from the parks for violating a known policy. I'm sure you'd probably just get a little lecture and slap on the wrist, but why would you want to go through that?

I don't really understand the anger about this. Disney obviously has a pressing reason for enacting this change, or it wouldn't have come about so abruptly, and coincidentally, RIGHT at the same time as the RFID tickets began rolling out. I GUARANTEE it's some legalese, and a team of lawyers is behind this policy change, for one reason (RFID tracking) or another (general liability). I tend to think it has a LOT more to do with the RFID tickets, as when all the privacy concerns came to light with MyMagic+, Iger very clearly mentioned that "we will not track or collect any data from children 13 and under."

There is nothing magical about the age of 14 and the ability to conduct oneself properly in a theme park without an adult present. However, the age 14 "magically" becomes old enough for RFID tracking to not be an issue, according to the law, so...

Really, this has nothing to do with money. If it was about money, they would eliminate child ticket pricing altogether and just charge one flat rate for park admission.

MNNHFLTX
03-21-2013, 08:23 AM
That sounds logical to me, Natalie. :thumbsup:

Mrs Bus Driver
03-21-2013, 10:11 AM

Once at a Mc Donalds I saw a woman come in and collect her child (still in diapers). She had been shopping in a store nearby. Some people leave there kids alone all the time.

Tekneek
03-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Why would you do that? For starters, Disney could simply ban you from the parks for violating a known policy. I'm sure you'd probably just get a little lecture and slap on the wrist, but why would you want to go through that?

No, not at all. Having my son go ahead of me in the queue is not a violation of the policy. We're still entering together and I'll know if a CM stopped him at the gate or not. We just won't talk to each other while entering. We have entered the parks "at the same time" by any legal standard, while not being in the same queue, over the years. There's nothing abnormal about it and there are many ways to test a policy without violating it. I have a lot of professional experience doing just that.

I don't really understand the anger about this. Disney obviously has a pressing reason for enacting this change, or it wouldn't have come about so abruptly, and coincidentally, RIGHT at the same time as the RFID tickets began rolling out. I GUARANTEE it's some legalese, and a team of lawyers is behind this policy change, for one reason (RFID tracking) or another (general liability). I tend to think it has a LOT more to do with the RFID tickets, as when all the privacy concerns came to light with MyMagic+, Iger very clearly mentioned that "we will not track or collect any data from children 13 and under."

I'm not angry about it. I just don't agree with it. I also don't subscribe to the belief that every law, rule, policy, etc, is there "for a good reason" and should no longer be discussed or challenged as a result. There is ample evidence throughout history that this is not always the case. It may be "a good reason" in the eyes of Disney, but that doesn't mean it isn't lazy, motivated by greed, or any other number of things. If, due to legal compliance issues with changes in Disney park operations, these children are no longer adults then something a little more explanatory will really go a long way. Maybe that will come out.

Really, this has nothing to do with money. If it was about money, they would eliminate child ticket pricing altogether and just charge one flat rate for park admission.

For the impacted children, they are already charged as adults. There is no child ticket pricing involved.

This seems to be argued from multiple angles. It was proposed that all the locals already have passes anyway, so presumably it wouldn't cost them anything to park and go in for a little bit. So then, since parking and going in is already paid for, they have an incentive to actually stay somewhere in the park all day? I'm not seeing it. Whatever Disney's motivation is, being upfront about it would be preferred over the subterfuge.

Tekneek
03-24-2013, 09:12 PM
Ok, I have edited my post.

I had thought I found the smoking gun for the change in entry age requirement, but the Terms of Service of My Disney Experience only refer to being 13+.

Children under 13 are not currently permitted to register on the Site/App, and they may only participate in the Experience as a member of the Experience Party of a guest 13 or older.

BrerGnat
03-25-2013, 08:33 AM
So, the age to start participating in MyMagic+ is 13.

So, they added a buffer year so they wouldn't have to deal with "Well, I'm almost 13...I turn 13 later this week...I'll be 13 next month" type issues.

Still going with MyMagic+ as the catalyst for this.

TheVBs
03-26-2013, 08:17 AM
To be completely honest, I'm stunned that young kids were ever let in without an adult. You can put forth all kinds of theories about a money grab, but the bottom line is that this is a common sense rule. I'm further in the minority by agreeing with those that said 16 without an adult makes more sense. Paying an adult price for my child's ticket does not absolve us of our responsibility for her as her parents.

BrerGnat
03-26-2013, 08:44 AM
To be completely honest, I'm stunned that young kids were ever let in without an adult. You can put forth all kinds of theories about a money grab, but the bottom line is that this is a common sense rule. I'm further in the minority by agreeing with those that said 16 without an adult makes more sense. Paying an adult price for my child's ticket does not absolve us of our responsibility for her as her parents.

I agree. But, to me, 16 is a bit too old. By 16, I was driving, had a job, etc. I was certainly capable of hanging out all day at a theme park by myself and behaving appropriately WELL before 16. We used to spend days at Six Flags over the summer starting when I was around 13. We used to roam the WDW parks when I was 11, my other sisters 9 and 13.

I think 14 is a good age. However, I cannot believe it used to be 7!!! Holy cow!