PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving week

candace flynn
03-08-2013, 08:44 AM
I read previous posts on Thanksgiving week that said crowds were "manageable" until Wednedsday. We are thinking of going from Saturday before and leaving on Thanksgiving day.
We've previously gone the last 2 weeks of August. Crowds were usually bad in the afternoon.
Would this be comparable to the Sat-Tues before Thanksgiving?
Thanks!

AllDisney
03-10-2013, 01:05 PM
We had friends go, a few years ago, during Thanksgiving week and said crowds were not to bad on the Monday & Tuesday but said the crowds were really starting to get bad by Wednesday.

P.S. They avoided the parks altogether on Thanksgiving Day:(

faline
03-10-2013, 04:32 PM
The last two weeks of August usually feature lighter crowds as many schools are either already in session or preparing to start up. So, if you found that time frame really crowded, you would find Thanksgiving week probably more so.

The early part of the week shouldn't be too bad but crowds do increase as you get closer tot he actual holiday.

ginger19
03-11-2013, 12:25 PM
We have gone from the friday before thanksgiving until the friday after for the last 3 years. While the weekend before is not as busy, it is still busy. Wednesday has the most significant crowd increase by far but you still have use the early mornings in the parks starting the weekend before.
We have found that our best thanksgiving strategy was to do Animal Kingdom when it opens at 8am and leave around noon. We were able to do the Safari once, Primevil Whirl 3x, Dinosaur 3x, Everest 3x and have lunch and be out by 12:30 as crowds started to pour in.

candace flynn
03-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Thanks! If we do go, we will arrive on Saturday before Thanksgiving and travel home on Thanksgiving day. We always get there at opening (or just after) so we can get in our must dos then.

Ginger19, how was the weather this time of year? Did you use the pool at all? Our last 3 times were in August, so I am not sure what to expect weather wise, but I am sure the crowds are easier to handle when its not 90 degrees!

RedSoxFan
03-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Thanksgiving week is manageable. Most of our trips have been during that timeframe as it's the least amount of school days missed. My kids have always gone swimming during that week. Always warm enough for them!! Great time to go and the Christmas decorations will be up!!

princessgirls
03-12-2013, 02:13 PM
We went Thanksgiving week this past year.

Crowds got heavy on the Sunday leading into Thanksgiving. Park hours are awesome though.... I didn't find it out of control.

Weather was amazing. 70's low humidity and sunshine. Nights in the 60's. I would do it again!!!

Julie:mickey:

ginger19
03-12-2013, 08:11 PM
This year was surprisingly cold. We did swim one day but most days it was pretty chilly. The 2 years before we had absolutely fabulous weather and swam quite a bit.

nyobabe2
03-12-2013, 11:57 PM
We went the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and went right into the park the day we arrived. Then we did a park each day up until Weds. The crowds were not as bad as I thought they were going to be. You could see by Tuesday getting more crowded, by Weds. we heard it was crazy. I think with some planning you will be fine. It was a great time to visit, especially weather wise. Have fun!