PDA

View Full Version : Update on my sick friend

Katzateer
03-06-2013, 05:12 PM
About 5 months ago I posted a co- worker had advanced throat and lung cancer. She has her last chemo treatment and is in pretty good spirits.

She took control of her treatment and changed doctors when she got down to 85 pounds and wasn't feeling like she would make it.

Her doctor was not giving her much information on nutrition to use with her feeding tube so she started juicing veggies and fruits and looking at vitamins to put in her feeding tube and has gained over 20 pounds back, thank goodness.

But the thing that upset her the most, when she was first diagnosed and started treatment at a major speciality hospital in Philly the doctor wanted to have ALL her teeth pulled so she would be ready for radiation treatments. Now, she doesn't need radiation. If he had just waited, she would have all her teeth. Luckily she didn't let them pull her front teeth so you can't really tell she doesn't have her back ones.

I have never known anyone that has had to go through all this. My relatives have mainly died of heart attacks.

But I know now- don't just let someone else decide your treatment. Get involved and find out options.

Dopey's Girl
03-06-2013, 07:48 PM
That's good news!

I'm glad that she took the reigns and isn't just assuming the Drs know everything!