PDA

View Full Version : Nook HD

IwannabeinNarnia
03-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Please don't laugh.. I'm so not a technical savy person... I just recently upgraded my cell phone and started texting so I know I'm behind the times... anyway.. over the weekend I bought a Nook HD from Walmart. They told me that I buy the books thru Barnes and Noble. So I registered on their website and so far have only down loaded free books. Today I recieved an email from Books a Million (which I prefer to Barnes and Noble) and in that email I noticed that they sell Nooks. Sooo.. my question is.. can I buy ebooks from Books a Million? how does that work if the nook is registered to barnes and noble?

DizneyRox
03-04-2013, 01:16 PM
I'm guessing that you may need an app from the other place to put on your Nook, OR they may provide them in a universally accepted eBook format. There are like 3 or 4 generic formats.

EDIT: Looks like they are least have an app (the Nook is an Android device) that helps you manage your library.

AgentC
03-04-2013, 01:30 PM
I took a quick look at Books A Million's website. They sell books in the ePub format. EPUB is a very common format. I have a first generation Nook. All Nooks will read ePub books but you can not download them directly to your Nook.

If you go on the Barnes & Noble sight and go to the Nook boards or google it, you will find directions on how to load epub books on a Nook.

The short version is-
You need to put Adobe Digital Edition on your computer. You would download the books to your computer and into ADE. The Nook gets connected to the computer and you move file.

Tink1
03-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Please don't laugh.. I'm so not a technical savy person... I just recently upgraded my cell phone and started texting so I know I'm behind the times... anyway.. over the weekend I bought a Nook HD from Walmart. They told me that I buy the books thru Barnes and Noble. So I registered on their website and so far have only down loaded free books. Today I recieved an email from Books a Million (which I prefer to Barnes and Noble) and in that email I noticed that they sell Nooks. Sooo.. my question is.. can I buy ebooks from Books a Million? how does that work if the nook is registered to barnes and noble?

I cannot help you with that question, but I have had a nook color for 2 years- LOVE IT! I think I have only paid for less than 20 books. Nook has a lot of really good independent(Indy) authors that release free books. Also, watch the nook blog for their Free Friday posts, I have picked up a few really good ones there too.

I read historical fiction, horror, mystery, weird fantasy and things that go bump in the night type stuff if you want any recommendations.

Nanc

IwannabeinNarnia
03-04-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm guessing that you may need an app from the other place to put on your Nook, OR they may provide them in a universally accepted eBook format. There are like 3 or 4 generic formats.

EDIT: Looks like they are least have an app (the Nook is an Android device) that helps you manage your library.

I took a quick look at Books A Million's website. They sell books in the ePub format. EPUB is a very common format. I have a first generation Nook. All Nooks will read ePub books but you can not download them directly to your Nook.

If you go on the Barnes & Noble sight and go to the Nook boards or google it, you will find directions on how to load epub books on a Nook.

The short version is-
You need to put Adobe Digital Edition on your computer. You would download the books to your computer and into ADE. The Nook gets connected to the computer and you move file.

:confused::scratch::shrug: HUH???? Umm.. well, maybe I'll just stickto buying only from Barnes and Noble.. all of that sounds way to complicated.. :blush: I'm lucky to be able to turn electronics on most of the time.

SBETigg
03-04-2013, 04:23 PM
I cannot help you with that question, but I have had a nook color for 2 years- LOVE IT! I think I have only paid for less than 20 books. Nook has a lot of really good independent(Indy) authors that release free books. Also, watch the nook blog for their Free Friday posts, I have picked up a few really good ones there too.

Nanc

The reason indie authors release the free books is so that maybe if you appreciate their work, you will be enticed to buy some of their other books (sometimes for as little as .99 cents). If you find new authors you love (which is the great thing about free books to me), I hope you will want to read more of their work, even if you have to buy it. Of course, if you just love the free stuff and aren't interested in buying more from any given author, that's cool too. Most of the classics are also free, because of copyright expiration, and I have read quite a few classics that I never got around to reading.

It's a brave new world in publishing. Both scary and exciting for authors. And yes, if you have a Nook, it is much less complicated to just buy from B & N.

Tink1
03-04-2013, 10:13 PM
Yes, the books I have purchased were the Indy Authors series that the first one was free.I like to support the "little guy" since I am one! I do not think any of them were over $2.99 either. One series I got 2 free and bought 6, so I do not fell badly if I do not like the free one enough to buy the rest.

Nanc

SBETigg
03-04-2013, 10:51 PM
Yes, the books I have purchased were the Indy Authors series that the first one was free.I like to support the "little guy" since I am one! I do not think any of them were over $2.99 either. One series I got 2 free and bought 6, so I do not fell badly if I do not like the free one enough to buy the rest.

Nanc

Don't feel badly either way! I wasn't trying to guilt you. Authors are always happy to see their order numbers soar, which happens if you get it free or buy. There's even a "bestselling" list for freebies, too, and making those lists means a lot to authors. Especially the independent authors, who are working hard just to get some buzz. I know some bestselling authors who have left their publishers to strike out alone, which was unheard of even five years ago. They're thrilled to be getting their names out there.

Janmac
03-05-2013, 12:41 AM
:confused::scratch::shrug: HUH???? Umm.. well, maybe I'll just stickto buying only from Barnes and Noble.. all of that sounds way to complicated.. :blush: I'm lucky to be able to turn electronics on most of the time.

Exactly! Sometimes we have difficulty with that on/off thingy. I bought DH a Kindle Fire for our anniversary. He's doing pretty good with it but he depends on me to get books onto his tablet.

I have discovered that the public library has free classes that purport to educate users in how to do stuff with their electronic devices.

To date I have not had time to sit in on a class, but perhaps your local library also has a tech guru who [tries to] share(s) knowledge?

Btw, I have only gotten e-books from our library while my sister, who also has a Kindle Fire, gets free books from Amazon. Our DD has a Nook, as does her daughter, and they also get books for their Nooks through their local library, as well as buying books from B&N. Somehow or another they even know how to share books between their Nooks. But then they're much younger than DH or I. :D

Good Luck!

Jan

Tink1
03-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Free Fridays has a free book and a free App today!

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/The-NOOK-Blog/Free-Fridays-Driftless-by-David-Rhodes-amp-OfficeSuite/ba-p/1438925?cm_mmc=Facebook-_-NOOK-_-unbound-_-driftless

Book is not my style, but the app is!

Nanc

IwannabeinNarnia
03-08-2013, 03:42 PM
thanks for posting that! I downloaded the book... sounded 'interesting'.. and it's free. If I don't like it I can delete it.. not sure about the app.. how's that work? will it take up tons of space on the nook?

PAYROLL PRINCESS
03-08-2013, 11:40 PM
you can also sign up for emails from bookbub and they'll send you emails about free or almost free books on a daily basis. I can download those directly to my Nook. I've gotten lots and lots of free books from that website.