PDA

View Full Version : Magic band pics surface

TinkerbellT421
03-04-2013, 06:47 AM
I didn't see a thread started on this yet. This weekend some pictures started surfacing of the magic bands. For those that were concerned about being removable and or adjustable, they will be. Picture the snaps on the back of a baseball cap. There are also supposedly going to be customizable, where you can pick from an assortment of colors and characters, I'm sure those will be pricey. And there is rumor they are working on a jewelry line for those that don't like bracelets, they will have watches, necklaces, keychains, etc.

My first thought is mainly about the jewlery line, a) I'm sure that will be rather pricey
B) seeing they will be charged for, I can't imagine someone buying a watch or necklace that can only be used once, so if that's the case, how can it be used for future trips? I'm wondering how that's going to work. I picture a SIM card type being exchangeable. But that's all speculation.

Thought I'd share the news, don't know how to attach photos.

Melanie
03-04-2013, 07:03 AM
And there is rumor they are working on a jewelry line for those that don't like bracelets, they will have watches, necklaces, keychains, etc.

:stop:

DizneyRox
03-04-2013, 07:23 AM
Who says RFID needs to be a one tine use thing?

RFID is just a unique token, that, in Disney's case, would be attached to a profile with entitlements etc. That profile could technically be updated for future trips, etc. Now, if they don't want to allow that is Disney's call. I suspect they will opt for buy a new one each trip/stay though.

TinkerbellT421
03-04-2013, 08:01 AM
:stop:

:confused:

Melanie
03-04-2013, 08:11 AM
:confused:

LOL! Just my way of saying, I think this is getting even more out of hand. A jewelry line? More choices? More characters? More everything? I just want to ride Soarin'.

TinkerbellT421
03-04-2013, 08:15 AM
LOL! Just my way of saying, I think this is getting even more out of hand. A jewelry line? More choices? More characters? More everything? I just want to ride Soarin'.

Oh lol I was like oh geez what did I say! lol It's a Monday and haven't finished my coffee yet....lol

Yea, definitely out of control, I think too. But it's rumor right now, but apparently that's their solution for people not liking or wanting a "band" around their wrist all day, that don't like the feel or whatever.

TinkerbellT421
03-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Who says RFID needs to be a one tine use thing?

RFID is just a unique token, that, in Disney's case, would be attached to a profile with entitlements etc. That profile could technically be updated for future trips, etc. Now, if they don't want to allow that is Disney's call. I suspect they will opt for buy a new one each trip/stay though.

So would they just reset the RFID remotely if permanently installed in one of these things? Or I am picturing a insert-able sim card like older cell phones....which I am sure is totally off base, but I am technically challenged with some of these things...lol I personally think this whole RFID is completely out of control lol. But, some people like it, so to each their own.

I would like to know how they plan on getting this whole thing to work seamlessly when they cannot even get their own website to work, and websites have been around for how long? They can't even get that right, never mind a system that will be in charge of millions of guests.

If Disney has proved anything, it would be get every dime they can, and if they can sell a watch or necklace or key chain once a year to regulars (making it a one time use feature), I am sure they will at least try and see if it sticks. Personally? Nope, thanks, I will not give you another penny for something like that to use once a year....the bands themselves? Eh, I am sure they can only charge so much for those where it would just be ridiculous to over charge for, but I would do one of the character ones because it would be a good memento in the scrap book if it is a once a year thing. But, all speculation right now anyway.

BrerGnat
03-04-2013, 08:47 AM
So would they just reset the RFID remotely if permanently installed in one of these things? Or I am picturing a insert-able sim card like older cell phones....which I am sure is totally off base, but I am technically challenged with some of these things...

RFID chips can be easily reprogrammed. It's not a removable chip.

I cannot even fathom spending money on a piece of RFID jewelry, though. That is ridiculous. Extra jewelry is the last thing I want to wear at a theme park...I don't even wear a watch most of the time anymore. Unless they can find a way to RFID tag my wedding rings, no thank you! ;)

VWL Mom
03-04-2013, 08:56 AM
Oh lol I was like oh geez what did I say! lol It's a Monday and haven't finished my coffee yet....lol

:funny:

I cannot even fathom spending money on a piece of RFID jewelry, though. That is ridiculous. Extra jewelry is the last thing I want to wear at a theme park...I don't even wear a watch most of the time anymore. Unless they can find a way to RFID tag my wedding rings, no thank you! ;)

:ditto:

Now that it appears to be removable I can assure you it will spend most of it's time in my pocket or clipped to my lanyard.

seanyred
03-04-2013, 11:52 AM
:funny:

:ditto:

Now that it appears to be removable I can assure you it will spend most of it's time in my pocket or clipped to my lanyard.

Keep in mind if don't want the bands you don't have to get them. Just have everything on your room key which will also have RFID. I think everyone is too hung up on the bands.

I for one wear watches and collect them. So if they happen to make a watch that I like and it happens to have RFID in it then I think that would be pretty cool.

Tekneek
03-04-2013, 12:51 PM
So far, the long awaited "NextGen" has really underwhelmed. I'm hoping it pays off in some big way for the guest side of things.

DizneyRox
03-04-2013, 01:07 PM
So far, the long awaited "NextGen" has really underwhelmed. I'm hoping it pays off in some big way for the guest side of things.
I'm pretty sure the pay off isn't for the guests...

Christine
03-04-2013, 01:38 PM
This is so rediculously silly I cannot find the words!
This weekend I spent the day in resorts and downtown. I was finishing a project of buying postcards from every resort we've stayed in. (Ones I stayed in before I started the project)

Anyhow- I'm there trying to buy a .92 cent postcard. And not ONE line I was in out if 5 resorts did I NOT witness a problem with the new RFID system. Ppl forgot their pins. The swiper "wouldn't read" the card. One insanely long wait after another.

At CSR, I waited as the cashier battled the guest's before me room key. When it was my turn she said "I'm SO sorry for the wait- we have a new system now" to which I replied, "yeah I know- how's THAT workin' out for ya?"
She smiled and rolled her eyes and said "don't ask!!"

So it's beyond frustrating that the guests and CMs alike are not at enjoying this or benefitting from this. So what's the point!?

Arrrrgh!

As for the wristbands- UNbelievable that they are actually proposing a jewelry line! Are you kidding me!?

Maybe folks that don't like wearing ANYTHING will be able to get a chip implanted like what my dogs have?!

Sorry. I no likey the RFID :mad: :blush:

Tekneek
03-04-2013, 03:02 PM
I'm pretty sure the pay off isn't for the guests...

At this point, pay off for anyone might be a pleasant surprise. However, I would be stunned if they sunk all this money into this project without the goal of improving the guest experience. From all the information available to this point, they've not helped themselves or the guests very much.

I heard from a friend with an AP that they're waiting in longer lines these days because Disney has reduced the number of queues to enter the parks that accept the old media. What a clever way to reduce that value.

Christine
03-04-2013, 03:41 PM
I heard from a friend with an AP that they're waiting in longer lines these days because Disney has reduced the number of queues to enter the parks that accept the old media. What a clever way to reduce that value.

That is 100% true. I posted pics on INTERCOT's twitter page of the 5-6 ppl on the RFID ticket gate, and the 500-600 ppl on long ques for the regular gate. Rediculous.

BuffaloJason
03-04-2013, 03:45 PM
A quick technical aside (sorry, can't help myself, I'm an engineer and it comes out every once in a while)... the only information that's on an RFID is essentially an ID#. So when they scan your RFID bracelet / tickets / room key /etc, they are just reading your ID#, which they then use to look you up in their system and find whatever information they need. The actual meaningful information itself (what resort you're staying at, your DOB, what kind of passes you have, your credit card #, etc) is not in any sense "on" the RFID device (bracelet, etc). Its still in the Disney reservation system, the same as today. They're just using the RFID to identify you so they can look you up. It's no different then them looking at your drivers license and using your name or some other personal information to look you up.

My point being that there's no reason to think that the RFID devices wouldn't be reusable or that they would require any kind of "reprogramming". As long as they don't re-issue ID#s, they should be able to simply assign your existing ID# from your existing RFID device to a new reservation.

Apologize in advance if this seems like an unimportant subtlety. I get the impression that a lot of people are picturing that their information is somehow going to be stored in a memory on the RFID bracelet and that's really not at all how the technology works.

SBETigg
03-04-2013, 04:05 PM

Seriously. As if there aren't enough decisions to make on a Disney trip.

VWL Mom
03-04-2013, 04:17 PM
Maybe folks that don't like wearing ANYTHING will be able to get a chip implanted like what my dogs have?!

Please don't give them anymore new ideas ;)

That is 100% true. I posted pics on INTERCOT's twitter page of the 5-6 ppl on the RFID ticket gate, and the 500-600 ppl on long ques for the regular gate. Rediculous.

They really need to get their act together! This sounds like one big mess.

Quadstriker
03-04-2013, 07:40 PM
"What? A wristband? But I don't like wristbands! I don't want to wear a wristband!"

You don't like wristbands? Okay well, how about we implement a variety so that people can have a choice of what they would like to wear/use?

"What? Choices? I don't like choices! WDW is getting too complicated!"

You know you're free to not use any of this right?

Another choice?! NOooooooooooOOOOooo!!!

There's plenty of things to be wary about with this new system. The ability to choose what type of RFID device you get is not one of them.

But seriously, there's definitely a lot of "this is more trouble than it's worth" floating around this whole RFID system. I really can't imagine how any of this would enhance my trip at all. Key to the World card with a linked credit card works perfectly imo.

Sylvia
03-04-2013, 08:41 PM
But seriously, there's definitely a lot of "this is more trouble than it's worth" floating around this whole RFID system. I really can't imagine how any of this would enhance my trip at all. Key to the World card with a linked credit card works perfectly imo.

:ditto::ditto:

When I hear or read "RFID", I immediately think about work. By the time of my next trip, I'll be celebrating my retirement from Federal Service. So, as a present to myself, I'm going to overlook all threads about RFID and will deal with it only if it ever applies to me. It's the Key to the World card with a linked credit card for me.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

MargaretMessler
03-04-2013, 09:13 PM

So glad I'm not the only one thinking this. I'm not about to get up in arms about the new tech, but I just keep thinking "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

DizneyFreak2002
03-04-2013, 10:04 PM
So glad I'm not the only one thinking this. I'm not about to get up in arms about the new tech, but I just keep thinking "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Or in TDO's mentality, "if it is broke, don't fix it"... :)

Melanie
03-05-2013, 06:42 AM
You know you're free to not use any of this right?

Oh, I absolutely know I don't have to use any of this. :yes:

Hammer
03-05-2013, 07:20 AM
Anyhow- I'm there trying to buy a .92 cent postcard. And not ONE line I was in out if 5 resorts did I NOT witness a problem with the new RFID system. Ppl forgot their pins.

I agree that the RFID system is full of problems and not a smart move, but people forgetting their PIN is the fault of the person. How hard is it to remember a PIN you created at the beginning of a vacation? Easiest thing is to use the PIN number you use for your debit card. If you forget your ATM PIN, then I don't want to be behind you at the grocery store :) .

Melanie
03-05-2013, 07:24 AM
I agree that the RFID system is full of problems and not a smart move, but people forgetting their PIN is the fault of the person. How hard is it to remember a PIN you created at the beginning of a vacation? Easiest thing is to use the PIN number you use for your debit card. If you forget your ATM PIN, then I don't want to be behind you at the grocery store :) .

I still consider that a flaw of the system. They know folks are going to forget their pins.

My response - GET OUT OF THE LINE until you can remember your pin. :D

TinkerbellT421
03-05-2013, 08:06 AM
I still consider that a flaw of the system. They know folks are going to forget their pins.

My response - GET OUT OF THE LINE until you can remember your pin. :D

GET OUT OF THE LINE!!! Love that comedian!! :funny::rotfl: Ah how I wish I could post a youtube link right now!! Sorry didn't mean to get off topic but I literally bursted out laughing when I read that! :D

buzznwoodysmom
03-05-2013, 08:57 AM

I agree, it's not that hard for guests to pick a pin they can all remember. I didn't use our ATM pin because I wasn't sure the kids would remember it. I used the ages of my kids at the time, 1210. My 12 and 10 year old kids only had to be told once and they were good for the rest of the trip. It's not that hard.

Melanie
03-05-2013, 09:03 AM
GET OUT OF THE LINE!!! Love that comedian!! :funny::rotfl: Ah how I wish I could post a youtube link right now!! Sorry didn't mean to get off topic but I literally bursted out laughing when I read that! :D

You'll love the next podcast then, Tonya.

cer
03-05-2013, 10:45 AM
I agree, it's not that hard for guests to pick a pin they can all remember. I didn't use our ATM pin because I wasn't sure the kids would remember it. I used the ages of my kids at the time, 1210. My 12 and 10 year old kids only had to be told once and they were good for the rest of the trip. It's not that hard.

I don't see any reason for my children to know the pin for our cards. This feature (entering the PIN) as I understand it is only for making charges, and only for charges over $50. I don't turn my kids loose with my credit/debit card at home, and won't de doing it at WDW either. Also, isn't this like the Key to the World card where you can specify which cards are designated for charging - not all of them?

The value I see in this feature, is that if a card is lost or stolen, no charges over $50 can be made. Whereas before, if you lost a card that had charging privileges, it was just like losing your credit card. I imagine Disney loses quite a bit of money when a thief uses someone else's card and then Disney must credit the victim of the fradulent charges.

I am in the "wait and see" group. Our chipped park ticket worked well for us in January. It was also great on entry into our room. (Nice to just put the pocket of my backpack up to the door sensor without having to completely remove the card.)

We were unable to use the tap and charge feature as this was not an option that could be set up at our resort - but it seems like I would like it...if (and this is a BIG IF) it works as it should.

buzznwoodysmom
03-05-2013, 10:58 AM
I don't see any reason for my children to know the pin for our cards. This feature (entering the PIN) as I understand it is only for making charges, and only for charges over $50. I don't turn my kids loose with my credit/debit card at home, and won't de doing it at WDW either. Also, isn't this like the Key to the World card where you can specify which cards are designated for charging - not all of them?

My kids are old enough to let walk to the food court without an adult if we are at the pool. I allowed them to go fill their mugs, get snacks or food, and I allowed them to go to the arcade. They did need to input our pin to get snacks or QS meals off our card using the dining plan at Roaring Forks at WL. I wouldn't allow them to go around charging for stuff all over WDW either, but there were times they did need to know the pin.

DizneyFreak2002
03-05-2013, 11:21 AM
This feature (entering the PIN) as I understand it is only for making charges, and only for charges over $50.

They changed this... You need it for every transaction now whether it is $50 or $5...

Stu29573
03-05-2013, 02:41 PM
I just keep having a mental picture of a billion dollars swirling down a toilet.... As far as the idea goes, I have no problem with it..if it works well and actually improves my experience. I'm sorry, but I see no evidance of that...

waymickey
03-05-2013, 09:28 PM
:bang:
I want to go on vacation walk into MK and forget the real world. No pin numbers, no smart phones, no passwords. Just me,:mickey: my family :mickey::mickey: and mickey. I don't want or need a charging station, or a RIFD chip implanted in my neck, I just need a:bar: .

WhiteRose1
03-05-2013, 09:46 PM
I realize I am in the minority, but I am actually looking forward to NOT having to open up my purse for a darn card.

I carry a small waterproof purse that can be worn as a belt (I refuse to call it a fanny pack, it's flat has a wallet compartment, change purse etc, and it's my purse darn it!) I can wear it cross body, too. I carry it for the card and maybe a few bucks cash, sunglasses and a cell phone. I do not trust putting that stuff in my pocket, so a purse I need to carry.

Wearing a bracelet? Maybe it has a digital watch face in it?? Yea that is much better! I wear a waterproof digital watch on vacation anyway!

If I lose the RFID bracelet, it I'll know in seconds that is is not on my wrist, so no worry about my card being used without my knowledge. And I can go right back to get a new one. I won't need to whip out my card every time I want to make a purchase or get a fastpass.

For me to get my card from my purse I need to take the following steps:
un-velcro my purse, unzip the wallet portion , peer into the credit card compartment, pull out the tight fitting card... ugh...then putting it back, zipping up the purse etc.

Waving my wrist sounds a lot better, and more like a vacation. :)

...And yes I like that I will have the option to book a few must-do rides without being forced to spoil my vacation...huh? I am not an early riser....I do not want to RUSH RUSH RUSH through breakfast and loose hours of sleep just to get a fastpass at Toy Story Mania.

No, I planned that that fastpass days ago.

So for those who really hate this new technology, please keep doing what you are doing now, and I'll be sleeping in, having a lovely breakfast with my hubby, then wandering over to Toy Story Mania with my preplanned fastpass, and I'll enjoy my type of vacation.

buzznwoodysmom
03-06-2013, 12:39 AM
I want to go on vacation walk into MK and forget the real world. No pin numbers, no smart phones, no passwords. Just me,:mickey: my family :mickey::mickey: and mickey. I don't want or need a charging station, or a RIFD chip implanted in my neck, I just need a:bar: .

And the great thing is, as of now, you will still be able to do it that way if you choose!

CuteAsMinnie
03-06-2013, 10:14 PM

O.M.Gosh. Can I quote you.....everywhere!!!!
:number1:

Quadstriker
03-07-2013, 01:53 AM
And the great thing is, as of now, you will still be able to do it that way if you choose!

Shhh. The sky is falling. Didn't you know?

Tekneek
03-07-2013, 02:51 PM

Although, as we can already see, changes have been made that cause a disruption in the experience even for those who aren't participating.

TheVBs
03-08-2013, 08:01 AM
A quick technical aside (sorry, can't help myself, I'm an engineer and it comes out every once in a while)... the only information that's on an RFID is essentially an ID#. So when they scan your RFID bracelet / tickets / room key /etc, they are just reading your ID#, which they then use to look you up in their system and find whatever information they need. The actual meaningful information itself (what resort you're staying at, your DOB, what kind of passes you have, your credit card #, etc) is not in any sense "on" the RFID device (bracelet, etc). Its still in the Disney reservation system, the same as today. They're just using the RFID to identify you so they can look you up. It's no different then them looking at your drivers license and using your name or some other personal information to look you up.

My point being that there's no reason to think that the RFID devices wouldn't be reusable or that they would require any kind of "reprogramming". As long as they don't re-issue ID#s, they should be able to simply assign your existing ID# from your existing RFID device to a new reservation.

Apologize in advance if this seems like an unimportant subtlety. I get the impression that a lot of people are picturing that their information is somehow going to be stored in a memory on the RFID bracelet and that's really not at all how the technology works.

Thanks for this info! I'm not stressed about the changes, but it's still good to understand them.

TheVBs
03-08-2013, 08:04 AM
I realize I am in the minority, but I am actually looking forward to NOT having to open up my purse for a darn card.

Waving my wrist sounds a lot better, and more like a vacation. :)

...And yes I like that I will have the option to book a few must-do rides without being forced to spoil my vacation...huh? I am not an early riser....I do not want to RUSH RUSH RUSH through breakfast and loose hours of sleep just to get a fastpass at Toy Story Mania.

No, I planned that that fastpass days ago.

I have to agree. Waving my wrist sounds preferable to digging out a card.

Right now, I can't imagine us ever pre-booking fastpasses, but you make a good point. We sleep in too and have never ridden Toy Story Mania because we won't knock ourselves out to get there first thing and won't wait 90 minutes to ride it (even during the slow season!). So, perhaps we will end up giving the new FP system a shot?

BigB
03-08-2013, 01:21 PM
I'm not against using the bracelets for park or room entry. Less of a chance for people to know where your wallet is located. Plus on vacation I'm the mule LOL! I have to carry everything because my DG can't seem to find pants that have real pockets! So less passing her wallet between us. But even though my KTTW card can act as a credit card I still prefer to use cash. It lets me see how much I have spent that day.

I would like the bracelets to be something useful like a watch. And for all of the "plan every last thing people" and the "non early risers" to get to use the attractions from the Fastpass + system. They paid to be there just like everyone else. I just hope that the current Fastpass style stays. Walk up to the machines, tap the mouse, and get a ticket. I don't want to bring my smartphone into the park. Just another thing I could loose, break, or be distracted. (I enjoy the ambiance of the World)

Tink#64
03-08-2013, 10:42 PM
OK, It's been 2 years since we've visited WDW so this is new for me. I've read some about some of the new techological advances :confused:, but we've not experienced them yet. My main question right now is about this bracelet/RFID "thing a ma bob"! :unsure: Is this a choice for the guest whether to go with the new product or the customary card for room & park access? And is this only available if you are staying on property? I'm asking because we're visiting in June & some of our group is staying onsite & some are staying offsite. I'm curious about what I've read as to the difference in the park entry lines, if we're given the choice, which format to choose & whether or not "day Guests" have this choice as well. It will be more enjoyable for our group if we don't have to split up for huge wait variances for park entry! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :tiphat:

BigB
03-10-2013, 10:54 PM
As far as I understant is that you still have a choice to use the bracelets, and have the option to purchase them.

Tekneek
03-11-2013, 04:26 PM
I hope they either have it all operational and working properly by Food & Wine, or scrap it.

WhiteRose1
03-11-2013, 09:49 PM
I have to agree. Waving my wrist sounds preferable to digging out a card.

Right now, I can't imagine us ever pre-booking fastpasses, but you make a good point. We sleep in too and have never ridden Toy Story Mania because we won't knock ourselves out to get there first thing and won't wait 90 minutes to ride it (even during the slow season!). So, perhaps we will end up giving the new FP system a shot?

I think there was talk that the regular fast pass system will still be there, and the fast pass plus is only for 3 pre-planned rides in one park per day. for me it would be TSM, TOT and maybe Star Tours.

For all the fuss people are making, once everyone is changed over, I think it will be less stressful. it takes a lot less time to wave your wrist...which is why the lines are short for people using the new tech...?

FLKatie912
03-16-2013, 05:55 PM
As for the wristbands- UNbelievable that they are actually proposing a jewelry line! Are you kidding me!?

I agree, I am not looking forward to the magicBand and I think it's unbelievable that they will have a jewelry line, but at the same time...Disney Guests pay uber amounts of money for ridiculous merchandise, what will stop people from buying accessories for their MagicBand, we live in a world of customization.