PDA

View Full Version : Flying With Kids

Brian
03-02-2013, 11:14 AM
We have a trip to Disney World coming up in a few months. There are four of us -- two adults and kids ages 3 and 11 months. We were originally planning on driving, which is a two day trip for us. We've done it two times in the past with the 3 year old and it went well, but it was just very long. So, we've been considering flying for the upcoming trip.

The problem I'm seeing is the logistics of packing. We're staying offsite in a condo, so we need to bring some more stuff than if we'd stay onsite. The extra things we're looking at bringing (in addition to 2 or 3 suitcases) are 1 stroller, 2 car seats, and a pack & play. We do not see ourselves using the car seats on the plane, so we'd be checking them.

My question is... how would this work with flying? Does each piece count as a checked item? Are the airlines pretty good about taking care of this kind of stuff? I've seen the damage they can do to a suitcase, so I fear what might be done to a stroller, car seat, or pack & play where there are attached (but loose) items and they're not really packaged for transport.

For what it's worth, we're looking at flying Frontier Airlines.

I'd really love to hear from anyone who has any insight on this or may have even flown with this kind of stuff in the past. Thanks in advance for any responses!

Madame Leona
03-02-2013, 12:12 PM
That does seem like a lot for the plane. Have you considered renting car seats from the car rental company (I'm of course assuming you are renting a car) and checking with stroller rental places in the area. It is nice to have your own things but it seems like it would be difficult and expensive to travel with so much.

Brian
03-02-2013, 12:20 PM
That does seem like a lot for the plane. Have you considered renting car seats from the car rental company (I'm of course assuming you are renting a car) and checking with stroller rental places in the area. It is nice to have your own things but it seems like it would be difficult and expensive to travel with so much.

We will be renting a car, so renting car seats from the rental company is definitely a possibility. The same goes for the stroller and pack & play. We would consider renting them down there if it makes the most sense, which may end up being the case.

ANG
03-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Our boys are similar ages. Car seats do not count as bags. They treat them the same as other luggage unfortunately. Car seat rentals can really add up, especially with two. And I'm kind of a Nazi about which ones I use so we just bring ours. I'm assuming your 3 yr old will have their own seat. So why not use the car seat? Sure it's more to lug around the airport but I would love not having to juggle both kids on a moving plane. An 11 month old can be worn as well. Strap baby on you or mom, put the 3 yr old in the stroller and the other adult can carry the seat and diaper bag.

Most strollers are wheeled right to the plane and they can check it specially for you and won't be thrown in with all the other luggage. Unless it's a double and crazy big.

Most places will have a pack and play you can use. Just call the condo company.

Pirate Granny
03-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Only certified car seats for airline travel are allowed on the plane...so check your brand and confirm before you plan to take a seat on the plane. Strollers are free IF you check them at the gate...if you check as luggage you pay...unless you kept the box for your pak n play...I wouldn't check it.

Consider SW as they allow two checked bags each paying ticket!

Ps our stroller broke within hours of landing (axle sheered off)...my guess it was damaged in transit and we didn't notice...ended up renting one (double) and worked well...my other daughter had a bag for both the car seat (on wheels) and her stroller...but again, you are paying luggage fees.

Back in the days of free luggage, I even lugged down the potty chair (in the original box), and with stroller and car seat...way before they were mandatory and available to rent...showing my age here:blush:

VWL Mom
03-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Have you checked with the office your renting the condo from to see if they have a pack and play. They are quite standard these days. It would be one less thing for you drag around.

Brian
03-02-2013, 06:44 PM
Have you checked with the office your renting the condo from to see if they have a pack and play. They are quite standard these days. It would be one less thing for you drag around.

Some family members own the condo (it's not a rental) and are letting us stay there for the week. So, we're out of luck in that regards.

Can anyone recommend any good rental companies for strollers and pack and plays? I saw Intercot has a sponsor, but they only appear to do strollers.

VWL Mom
03-02-2013, 07:48 PM
If you google "baby furniture rental Orlando" you will find a few places that have what you're looking for. I don't want to recommend one over another since I've never used them. I'm sure you can find reviews or BBB ratings if you find one that interests you.

Another thought would be just to buy a pack and play at Wal-Mart. They have some online for about $50, you could order it and ship it to the local Wal-Mart in Orlando. When you ready to leave you could pass it on to a neighbor.

ANG
03-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Another thought would be just to buy a pack and play at Wal-Mart. They have some online for about $50, you could order it and ship it to the local Wal-Mart in Orlando. When you ready to leave you could pass it on to a neighbor.

We did this a few years ago traveling across country to see family. We got a super cheapy one at Walmart and just left it there to donate. Cheaper than flying it there and back.