PDA

View Full Version : Stormalong Bay - Sinking Sands gone?

Basket Mommy
03-01-2013, 04:57 PM
We just got back yesterday from a week long stay at BCV. Last time we stayed there was Sept 2010. One of our favorite parts of Stormalong Bay was the section called "Sinking Sands" where the sand would "lock" up and hold you in place for a couple of minutes, then let you go. We were disappointed to find that the sand no longer does this in that section. I asked the lifeguards about it, but no one seemed to know what I was talking about. I don't remember reading anything about the feature being removed, but I know it wasn't too long ago that the pool was refurbed. It was probably a safety hazard (any kid could dive down and get their hand stuck in that sand), but I will miss it!

Pirate Granny
03-01-2013, 06:17 PM
I was there last October and you had to move around....but I did sink almost a foot...so it's there, just not as much as it was previously.

BrerGnat
03-01-2013, 06:53 PM
It was still there in December 2011. My son loved to dive down and hold his hand there. It can't really pull you down and hold you there or anything like that. It's definitely not a safety hazard, but sometimes it just may not be working properly. It's basically a filter on the bottom of the pool. Sometimes, it gets clogged.

stephicakes
03-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Funny I had no idea that that section of the pool was named “Sinking Sands” until I just looked at a map! When we were there last September we noticed a build-up of sand from a filter on the bottom of the pool – it ran widthwise and was just to the right of the poolside gift shop (which was acting as Hurricane Hanna’s during the refurb). We got a kick out of it and loved to walk through it. Good to know it has a name :thumbsup: