PDA

View Full Version : Tidbits March 2013

Figment!
03-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Tidbits
March 2013

An Egg-celent Display

3/24/13 Now through March 31, 2013; Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa is showcasing its Annual Easter Egg Display. The lobby showcases the confectionery creations adorn with sculpted chocolate & sugar art pieces. Among many favorite Disney characters and movie scenes, one display celebrates the opening of Storybook Circus at the Magic Kingdom.

Epicurean Expansion

3/24/13 The Taste of Hollywood to Go program has returned at Disney’s Hollywood Studios now through April 4, 2013 for the Peak Easter period. The program offers reserved seating for Fantasmic! and a boxed meal. Five adult meals are offered at $15.99 featuring fried chicken, veggie sandwich, sushi, Shrimp salad, and cold-cut roast beef entrees. Two Children’s meals are offered at $5.49 featuring turkey wrap and strawberry yogurt entrees. The program is participating in the Disney Dining Plan, one counter service meal credit is required. Although Fantasmic! Seating is included in the package, Guests may pick up their meal from 11:00 am till 8:00 pm the day of their reservation at Min & Bill’s Dockside Diner. Guests may make reservations at up to 24 hours in advance at WDW-DINE (407-939-3463) or the day of at the park. A credit card is required to hold the reservation and a 24 hour cancellation policy is enforced.

A Closer Look

3/24/13 The new Tangled themed “D-Zone” in Fantasyland offers Guests seating areas, water fountains, restrooms, and charging stations for hand held devices. Beyond offering Guests a respite, the area also has an easy to overlook activity. A sign notifies Guests to, "Look for friends of Pascal in the scenery, hidden among all the flowers and greenery". The activity offers Guests the challenge to find Pascal’s chameleon pals who are doing their best to blend in with the scenery. Cast have reported that there are a total of 10 chameleons (sculptures) to find in the area.

A New View

3/24/13 Refurbishment dates have been announced for the Fountain View Café in Epcot’s Future World. The location will be closed from April 8, 2013 till “Early August 2013” as part of the process to add Starbucks coffee and complete a general refurbishment.

An Analog Update

3/1/13 The Walt Disney World resort will be streamlining how it depicts its parks and entertainment areas between paper and electronic maps. The resort will release a new series of maps on March 3, 2013 that matches the graphical style of the electronic maps in My Disney Experience. The new maps will be released for Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney’s Hollywood Studios, Disney’s Animal Kingdom, Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, Downtown Disney, and ESPN Wide World of Sports.

Savory Savings

3/1/13 The Walt Disney World resort has announced the addition of several locations to its discount list for Annual Passholders and Disney Vacation Club Members. Annual Passholders and Disney Vacation Club Members can now save 10% when dining for lunch at the Hollywood Brown Derby and Biergarten and when dining for dinner at Jiko, Hollywood Brown Derby, Biergarten, Shutters and Boatwright’s Dining Hall.

Contemporary Changes

3/1/13 Guests and Resort Cast have reported that floor by floor refurbishments of Guest Rooms and Guest Spaces are underway at Disney's Contemporary resort. The Guest Room refurbishments reportedly include replacements of the upholstery, bedding, and curtains. The Guest Space refurbishments reportedly include replacing the carpeting in the hallways.

Give it a shot

3/1/13Rix Lounge at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort has announced a Tequila Tasting Event for March 30, 2013. The event will additionally cover the history, types, and making of tequila. The event will start at 8:00 pm and requires a ticket and table reservation. Tickets can be purchased in-advance for $30 by contacting the lounge directly (1-407-939-3806 x4).

I Dub Thee Permanent

2/25/13 The Earl of Sandwich in Downtown Disney Marketplace is expanding its menu. Effective March 4, 2013; the popular location is adding the Holiday sandwich and the Chipotle Chicken Avocado sandwich to its daily, year-round menu. The location's current seasonal items (Mac 'n Cheese, the Chicken Pesto Pomodoro sandwich, and the Mediterranean Pasta Salad) will reportedly be available through April 14th. As noted on the INTERCOT (https://twitter.com/intercot) twitter feed (https://twitter.com/intercot), the Disneyland location confirmed the permanent offering of the Holiday sandwich earlier this month.

LeLight

2/25/13 Le Cellier has made an interesting addition to its dining experience. Guests and Cast have reported that the popular Epcot dining location has introduced backlit menus. The new menus are aimed to be easier to read in the restaurant’s ambiance lighting. Disney currently offers a similar feature on the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy cruise ships.

DisneyDINK
03-01-2013, 12:32 AM
2/25/13 Le Cellier has made an interesting addition to its dining experience. Guests and Cast have reported that the popular Epcot dining location has introduced backlit menus. The new menus are aimed to be easier to read in the restaurant’s ambiance lighting. Disney currently offers a similar feature on the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy cruise ships.

I like backlit menus, but they do tend to be really BIG. I look forward to seeing Disney's spin on them.

Melanie
03-01-2013, 06:28 AM
Didn't the Contemporary just get a refurb?

VWL Mom
03-01-2013, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the updates :thumbsup:

Didn't the Contemporary just get a refurb?

I thought so too Mel but the last refurb date was 2006, doesn't seem that long ago. This sounds more like a soft goods refurb similar to the ones being done on all DVC properties.

cer
03-01-2013, 10:58 AM
So excited to get to try the Holiday Sandwich!

Thank you Earl! :thumbsup:

Melanie
03-01-2013, 11:03 AM
I thought so too Mel but the last refurb date was 2006, doesn't seem that long ago. This sounds more like a soft goods refurb similar to the ones being done on all DVC properties.

Do all the resorts get refurbed in a 7 year span? Seems like some of the mods and values go much longer that that. Of course, I don't know for sure.

PopPhan
03-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Do all the resorts get refurbed in a 7 year span? Seems like some of the mods and values go much longer that that. Of course, I don't know for sure.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the different level resorts had different refurb schedules == Deluxe/DVC Resorts having the shortest (7 years?); Moderates a bit longer (10 years?); and Values bringing up the rear (12 - 15 years?)

You get what you pay for....:D

Melanie
03-01-2013, 12:05 PM
You get what you pay for....:D

Very true! :yes:

vizsla
03-02-2013, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the updates.

pdrlkr
03-05-2013, 01:01 PM
Thanks Jason! :thumbsup: :mickey:

pdrlkr
03-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks Jason! :thumbsup: :mickey:

Figment!
03-24-2013, 11:26 AM
**Update**

TinkerbellT421
03-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the update! so with the chameleon thing, is it like the brushes at Tom Sawyer island? You bring it to a cm for a "prize"?

Figment!
03-24-2013, 12:15 PM
so with the chameleon thing, is it like the brushes at Tom Sawyer island? You bring it to a cm for a "prize"?

It appears to be more like finding Hidden Mickey's ... but you do get bragging rights :D

Imalismom
03-24-2013, 12:23 PM

This is a needed addition indeed! I could never really see the menu....

TinkerbellT421
03-24-2013, 01:20 PM
It appears to be more like finding Hidden Mickey's ... but you do get bragging rights :D

Ahhh! I saw pics of them, they are adorable!

vizsla
03-26-2013, 05:29 AM
Thanks for the updates.