PDA

View Full Version : Marvel Superhero Land Announced for Hong Kong Disneyland in 2017

Figment!
02-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Plans for an expansion to Hong Kong Disneyland containing a Marvel Superhero themed land have been announced to local media:

Hong Kong's Disneyland to Host Marvel Superheroes

by Clarence Tsui
The Hollywood Reporter
February 27, 2013

HONG KONG – It might be the smallest Disneyland in the world, but Hong Kong’s site will soon boast something unique, as the city’s financial chief unveils plans for the theme park to host an area dedicated to Marvel’s superheroes.

Introducing his annual financial budget at the city’s legislature Wednesday, John Tsang Chun-wah said Disneyland Hong Kong’s Marvel section will be “the first of its kind in the world” when it is launched within “the coming few years.” The park, which is 52 percent owned by the city’s government, will pay for the project with its operating surpluses, Tsang said.

According to local press accounts, the Marvel-themed area will be completed by 2017. Decisions will be made within the next few months about the one or two characters that will be introduced as the core of that extension.

The plan is in line with Disney’s earlier announcement that it planned to introduce more elements from Marvel Entertainment into its theme parks, with the corporation having acquired the latter in 2009 for $4 billion. And Hong Kong’s theme park -- which has proved to be a big pull for tourists coming in from mainland China -- could be seen as a good entry point for such an approach, given the success of films featuring Marvel’s superheroes in Chinese-speaking markets.

The Avengers and The Amazing Spider-Man were the fourth and 10th highest-grossing international releases on mainland China in 2012, respectively, taking a total of $141 million during their runs. One of the most anticipated blockbusters among the country’s younger audience is Iron Man 3, a collaboration between Marvel and DMG Entertainment which was partly shot in Beijing and features Chinese actors Wang Xueqi and Fan Bingbing.

DisneyDawgette
02-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Very cool! But I thought Universal had the park rights to the Avengers? :/

DizneyFreak2002
02-28-2013, 09:20 PM
Very cool! But I thought Universal had the park rights to the Avengers? :/

East of the Mississippi... Disney can use Marvel in any other Disney park but WDW...

Christine
02-28-2013, 10:48 PM
Jason I wish you coulda seen my DH John's eyes light up when I read him the title of this thread!

Thank you for always keeping us up on the very latest info! :mickey:

Melanie
03-01-2013, 06:33 AM
Nice to hear of HK Disneyland expanding, and with something unique to other Disney parks. They've got so much land there, the possibilities are endless. I'll be interested to watch this progress.

PopPhan
03-01-2013, 07:46 AM
East of the Mississippi... Disney can use Marvel in any other Disney park but WDW...

Well, technically, you could say Hong Kong is east of the Mississippi...The Far East!! LOL

But, your point is taken...Universal has the rights to the Marvel characters, already in use, in the Continental United States East of the Mississippi River.

TheVBs
03-01-2013, 08:20 AM
I think that's really exciting! I'm looking forward to seeing what they can introduce in WDW. Since they can't use characters already represented at Universal, (which I think are Spiderman, Wolverine, Hulk, Capt. America and a couple of villians?) I hope they bring what characters they can use to Hollywood Studios. Iron Man would be great! Plus there are a lot of other X-Men, although Wolverine is the best. They could do Thor too.

DizneyFreak2002
03-01-2013, 12:49 PM
I think that's really exciting! I'm looking forward to seeing what they can introduce in WDW. Since they can't use characters already represented at Universal, (which I think are Spiderman, Wolverine, Hulk, Capt. America and a couple of villians?) I hope they bring what characters they can use to Hollywood Studios. Iron Man would be great! Plus there are a lot of other X-Men, although Wolverine is the best. They could do Thor too.

They can't... Characters in use AND the families, which means no X-Men, no Avengers, basically none of the popular Marvel characters... Even if the image is used, that eliminates that character and the "family/group" and villains...

Iron Man is represented... So is Thor, Captain America does meet and greets, so does Wolverine and Cyclops, Storm, and Rogue... The Fantastic Four is out as well since they are represented...

Basically, any Marvel character anyone cares about, Disney cannot use in WDW...

TheVBs
03-01-2013, 04:09 PM
Too bad. :( Didn't know that, so thanks for the info!

Lindsey
03-02-2013, 05:02 PM
They have been making a lot of nice additions to this park. Last time I was there Toy Story Land had opened, but the other two lands were still under construction. Grizzly Gulch is open now, but I will have to wait until 2014 to experience that, (had to skip my trip to China this year due to a destination wedding). I've been reading Marvel comics since I was a kid, so a Marvel area in HKDL sounds pretty cool to me! :thumbsup:

Jared
03-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Basically, any Marvel character anyone cares about, Disney cannot use in WDW...
Let's not forget that this is a choice Disney is making. They could buy Universal out of the deal in 10 seconds if they wanted to. The reality is that Disney makes more money having Universal essentially pay them for their property than they would with a Marvel-themed land in Hollywood Studios.