PDA

View Full Version : First trip with a 2 1/2 yr old

Brooklynos
02-28-2013, 04:02 PM
Any tips for a first trip with a 2 and half year old? My DH and I have been many times but this will be the first trip with our daughter. She is for the most part a laid back little girl but not sure what to expect her to be able to do. Any advise is very welcome! :)

If you've taken your toddlers, what was their favorite things to see, do, look at, etc....

What was the things that took you by surprise?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

faline
02-28-2013, 06:52 PM
A few years ago we went to Disney with my brother's family which included a 2 year old. It was, in many ways, a wonderful trip but it certainly had its challenges - particularly for my brother and his wife.

Remember, though, that every toddler is different so experiences can vary greatly.

Our little guy loved Disney World! He had a great time with the characters (I was concerned about his as he is really a pretty shy kid) but had not use at all for face characters. My brother made sure they kept to my nephew's schedule (i.e. They didn't force anything or overdo anything). Still, there were a few meltdowns.

With a toddler, you never know what will be a favorite - it could be a flower, a water feature - whatever. Our nephew loved the seagulls outside the Living Seas - we stood out there for quite a long time so he could see them chant "Mine...mine" over and over. He was also a huge fan of the car stunt show in Disney Studios (but he loves cars anyway). Other shows got mixed results.

His favorite ride at that time was the Carousel. He was very upset when we needed to get off.

He also loved the resort pools "Watta" was the word whenever he spied any body of water!!

Itchy
02-28-2013, 07:02 PM
I have taken one of my grand
daughters when she was 1 yr. old, 18 mo's, and 4 yrs.

When she was 1 she really did not give a darn, but when we took her at 18 months we had dinner at Crystal Palace and she had a ball there and most everywhere else we took her. When I took her for her 4th bday, well we don't have enough computer space to tell all. Basically she had a ball.

She is pretty laid back as well. Have fun.

Hope this helps..:mickey:

Brooklynos
03-01-2013, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the tips! We will have her Grammie (DH Mom) and my SIL and family with us as well. The more the better in this case.

I think we will be booking CRT breakfast, Akershus princess breakfast, Crystal Palace and Donalds Safari Breakfast.

We are talking about Disney, she loves anything Disney already (From Mickey/Minnie to Rapunzel and anything Disney jr.). We are also showing her our vacation pictures and videos.

How did you prepare your lil family members for the trip? Were they ok riding dark rides like Pirates or Haunted Mansion (my fave)? Thanks again for the input, love us some Disney people. Always so helpful!

minnie04
03-01-2013, 03:15 PM
You didn't mention when you are going. I would try to make it a time of the year when kids are in school and the parks aren't that busy. I know it's getting harder to do that, but I would try not to go in the summer with a little one. Try to go when the weather is on your side. :mickey:

Brooklynos
03-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Minnie - We are going the second week in November. We normally go that week and it has low crowds. Just a little nervous about her first trip. :)

ANG
03-02-2013, 01:45 PM
We've taken DS1 at 5 months, 1.5 yr, and 3. And it was different every single time.

Make sure you know where each baby center is and use them!

Chose seating wisely during shows. I always made sure I knew where the exit was in case I had to dart out if he got upset.

Like a previous poster, make sure you take the time for her to decide what she likes. DS seemed to like most of the street performers and that forced us to slow down (which was great).

Don't be surprised if the characters scare her. Some kids love them, some don't. DS was fascinated with them but then freaked at Donald at Chef Mickey's because he thought Donald was going to take his mickey waffles!

Not sure if she's potty trained or in diapers but always bring a change of clothes for her in the parks. Diaper blowouts or pee pants happen just when you don't want them to.

Auroring Good Time
03-02-2013, 03:27 PM
We took my son the first time at 9 months and the second time at 2 1/2. Both times were wonderful and a challenge. Definitely bring a change of clothes everyday and a bathing suit everyday. The water play areas are a big hit. I suggest a back pack vs. a diaper bag as it makes it easier to grab and throw on you when dealing with a fussy child. Being snacks and a favorite toy as distractions. My son was easy and would fall asleep often in the stroller. Go at the child's pace. It helps prevent meltdowns. My son loved the characters at 9 months and didn't like them at 2. Have fun and take lots of pictures. Some of my favorites pictures of my son at those ages at Disney.

wdwcarrie
03-08-2013, 12:14 PM
We took my son when he was a month shy of three. He had the time of his life! He loved all the characters--ran up to everyone for great big hugs--and we really enjoyed breakfast at the Crystal Palace.

The Disney Junior show was a huge hit for him, and he loved Philharmagic as well. Rides he enjoyed included Peter Pan, Pooh, Dumbo, the Barnstormer (the Goofy rollercoaster!), Nemo, the Gran Fiesta Tour...he liked Turtle Talk with Crush and the tanks at the Seas too.