PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Gras and a Birthday Day 4

buzznwoodysmom
02-26-2013, 02:59 PM
Last night we agreed that we all needed some rest so we decided to sleep in and go to AK in the afternoon. It was so nice to not hear an alarm early in the morning.

We actually got to sleep late, have coffee on our balcony, and take our time getting moving. DH did some work for most of the morning. I think I took the kids to the pool and they also played in the arcade some more. I hate arcades, but my kids could rot away in an arcade. LOL. I'm so glad they are old enough to let them go to the arcade while I went back up to the room.

Around noon we decided to have lunch at AoA. Last time we were there only Nemo and Cars sections of AoA were open. Landon was dieing to see the Lion King area so that's how lunch was decided. I had the surf and surf sandwich. It was really, really good. DH got the shrimp tandori and said it looked and sounded a lot better than it actually was. I thought the same thing back in July when I tried the Mongolian Grilled Beef Stir fry. I think the concept is cool, but in our experience the food just isn't that tasty. I ended up sharing my burger with DH. We took a walk to the Lion King section. Part of it looked really cool, but in a way it just looked like a mess of over grown weeds. I get that that's what it's probably supposed to look like, but it just looked messy to me.

With my toe really bothering me I let Landon show DH around the other sections (DH wasn't with us in July) while Collin and I headed to the arcade to wait for them. We did a bit of shopping in the gift shop then drove to AKL Jambo House.

We explained that we were coming back to Kidani to eat dinner, and that my broken toe was really bothering me and the CM told us to feel free to park at Jambo House and take the bus to AK park. We parked, took some time to enjoy the lobby at Jambo then caught a bus to the park.

Upon entering the park I decided to see if I could get some sort of guest assistance pass just to make doing the attractions quicker so that we could perhaps do what we wanted and be back at the room quicker so I didn't have to be on my foot all day. I explained what happened, showed my ugly, multicolored, swollen toe, and was told "rent a wheelchair". OK! Was hoping for a pass to make doing the parks quicker, but off we went anyway.

We were only at AK for 2 1/2 hours, but managed to do everything we really wanted. It seemed like most guests were already gone for the day. DH ran for FP for Everest. Poor guy, we usually all go as a family to get FP, but with my toe I didn't want to do any extra walking if I didn't have to. The plan was to go to Dinosaur first, but a large....no make that ginormous tour group decended upon Dinosaur and there wasn't even room to walk. They took up every inch of the huge walkway going toward Dinosaur.

So we headed to Primevil Whirl to wait for DH. It was so hot today. No kidding it was as hot today as it was when we were in AK back in July of last year. I was so glad we were only there for a short period of time.

After PW we rode Dinosaur, then arrived at Everest before our FP window. The waittime was only 20 minutes so we got in line. We got off and went right back on using FP. Then we had to decide if we wanted to ride the safari or see the Lion King show. We only had time to do one before we needed to head out to the bus in order to get to Sanaa in time for our dinner ADR. Safari won the vote so that's where we headed. Most of the animals must have been gone for the day so it wasn't the greatest Safari ride we've had, but we still love this attraction.

We didn't do much at AK, but we enjoyed having such a low key, relaxing day. The bus stopped at Kidani first so the boys and I got off while DH stayed on to get the car at Jambo House. Walking into the lobby at Kidani after just going to Jambo House earlier today really makes you realize how much grander Jambo is. The Kidani lobby really isn't much. The boys and I found some rockers overlooking the savannah and waited there for the rest of our group to arrive.

We were seated quickly at Sanaa. This was our first time there and I loved how cozy it felt in the restaurant. We ordered the bread service and it was a hit with the whole table. Each bread and every dip was enjoyed by everyone. I don't remember what everyone ordered, but both DSs and myself ordered the New York Strip. They were all way too fatty. I had to cut most of Landon's steak off because it was tough chewy fat. I guess I could have asked for another one, but it ended up being enough to fill him up. The parts that weren't full of fat were very good, there was just way too much of it that was fat. Collin got a birthday dessert here, it wasnt' the usual cupcake, but I couldn't tell exactly what it was (he was all the way at the other end of our table of 11), and they sang to him. I also don't remember what desserts we had, but they were all good. All in all a good new place for us. Not sure we'd rush back, but we did LOVE the bread and dip.

The plan was to perhaps all go take a spin on the monorail, or go to DTD. In the end everyone was tired and we all just headed back to our resorts. It was great for us, as we got to spend more time at our lodge that we love so much. I think DH and I got drinks and enjoyed them in "our living room" that night. Not sure, it's all kind of fuzzy now that I'm back home. But anytime we have to enjoy WL is a good time in our book!

Up Next: DHS

Dopey's Girl
02-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Sorry the CM in AK wasn't more helpful with your toe! Not fun!

I love WL...it's such an amazing place. I think when I have stayed there, I have spent more time at the resort, just drinking it all in.

Another good day!

faline
02-26-2013, 06:43 PM
We haven't stayed at Kidani but, when we visited, we found the lobby there to be cozy. We, too, like the breads at Sanaa. Did you have a view of the savannah from your table?

Glad you got to rest up at bit - particularly for that sore toe!!

DisneyDINK
02-26-2013, 11:22 PM
I liked the food we had at Saana: I really like Indian food which is a good part of the menu. I guess it's not much of a steakhouse though.

I feel bad for your toe! I have gout and your posts are really reminding me of how painful those flair-ups were. I hope your toe is better now.

Janmac
02-27-2013, 12:02 AM
It's so funny when the kids graduate from the pool to the arcade. I remember the trip that our youngest grandson did that at the Poly. But it's nice when they can get out on their own.

Almost as nice as no alarm clock!

Speaking of rest, I was thinking of you just a couple of days ago. My sister had a one bedroom reserved for us for a quiet weekend at your (and hers) favorite resort: Big Cedar Lodge. And then Missouri got a bunch of sleet, snow, and ice. So we cancelled. Big Cedar coupled with snow reminded me of your Thanksgiving trip.

Back to WDW, you guys packed a lot into your rest day! I hope to remember for our next trip that AK crowds were fewer later in the day. My niece is thinking that we want to spend more time at AK and we could do early one day for animals and later another day for non-animal attractions.

Thanks again for reporting - I love reading about your day.

Jan

buzznwoodysmom
02-27-2013, 10:41 AM
We haven't stayed at Kidani but, when we visited, we found the lobby there to be cozy. We, too, like the breads at Sanaa. Did you have a view of the savannah from your table?

No, our table wasn't by a window, but it was already dark so not sure how much we would have been able to see anyway. And I agree the lobby is very cozy, just not grand like at Jambo!

buzznwoodysmom
02-27-2013, 10:47 AM
I hope to remember for our next trip that AK crowds were fewer later in the day. My niece is thinking that we want to spend more time at AK and we could do early one day for animals and later another day for non-animal attractions.

We have done AK in the afternoon/evening a few times now and it's always been great. Just don't do the safari at the very end of the day. Last time we did it earlier in the afternoon, right after a light rain and the animals were everywhere. This time we just did safari too late and they were pretty much all gone.

Ahh, Big Cedar. My second fave place in the world!! I saw the Branson area was getting snow (or I guess sleet) the other day and I told DH "lets get in the car and go". LOL

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Sounds good except for the toe:(

DizNee143
02-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Of course another good day!! :mickey:

January-2007
03-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Thanks so much for the trip report!

vizsla
03-05-2013, 05:34 AM
Thanks for the report.