PDA

View Full Version : The Great Birthday Bash

Janmac
02-25-2013, 03:17 PM
So . . . I'm doing a bit different trip report. Mostly because I'm just too busy to do the regular.

Backstory: we had thought we'd do a couple of days at WDW during a "winter trip" with the 8 year old granddaughter of my sister, so DH could see MSEP one last time and coinciding with a landmark birthday of mine. My sister exchanged into a 2 bedroom villa at the Boardwalk - check in on the day of my birthday, so our 2 nights morphed into a week, with my sister and her daughter joining the 3 of us for a couple of nights at the beginning of the week and my newbie cousin (in her 50s and never been to WDW!) and her DH joining us for 3 nights at the end of the week. As our budget is smaller than usual, we are using 4 day Armed Forces Salute tickets and having several resort days. We have 7 TS ADRs - with my birthday noted.

The Boardwalk: wonderful resort. We were in a second story villa overlooking the marshmallow roast and the closed Luna Pool. Great location. In minutes we were at the Boardwalk, for ice cream, pizza slices, or watching magic shows. We could have used Stormalong Bay - and thought we might - but never got over there. The quiet pool was just fine for my grandniece. We strolled for less than 20 minutes one morning and arrived at DHS. Epcot was less than 15 minutes through the back door. We loved the color scheme in our 2 bedroom - nice cheery pastel colors. As much as we love VWL, the Boardwalk might be a close tie for favorite.

Birthday Celebrations: usually I'm extremely low key about my birthdays - don't mind 'em, as they're better than the alternative - but a big fuss is not my style. For this birthday, I intended to go all out, and Disney sure helped, as did my sister, niece, cousin and her DH. And my DH. I made a huge haul: autographed placemat and cupcake at supper at 1900 Park Fare; autographed card at breakfast at Hollywood & Vine; autographed card and cupcake with candle at breakfast at Cape May; autographed card at Crystal Palace; cupcake at Flametree; candle in my dessert bastilla and "song" from the servers at supper at Marrakesh where even the belly dancer came up to say happy birthday; autographed postcard and cupcake with candle at breakfast at Tusker House; and an Origami crane and gingercake with "song" from the servers at Tokyo Dining. Whew! And everywhere, CMs and guests wishing me Happy Birthday - even a couple of suits. It's amazing how adept the CMs are at sighting BD pins. I loved it. We're making plans now to go to WDW in 2017 for my sister's landmark birthday.

I realize we could do this every year, even some time during the month of but I couldn't. It needs to be special.

MSEP - we had to wait awhile for this because we got to MK earlier (coming in from AK) than we expected and the attraction waits were longer than we liked. But the wait was worth it, tho it was chilly that night at MK. DH was tired and thought maybe he'd rather be back at the ranch but when we started to hear the music, he forgot all about being tired. We were in Frontierland, near the Shooting Arcade, with only one row of folks at the rope, so we had a great view. Being able to experience MSEP one more time really made the trip for him. Probably the best time at Disney this immune-to-Pixie dust guy ever had!

My cousin and her DH had a great time at MK, AK and Epcot (they were there 2 1/2 days). My cousin says she likes Disney but she really enjoyed being with family. She's hoping she can get away during one of our next trips.

We had only room keys with the RFID (not park tickets) and they always got our door open, just fine. Worked great to pay at the resort. Not so good at park counter service locations. I'm actually looking forward to other roll outs of this technology.

One day we toured all day, opening DHS, AK mid day and MK in the evening. Probably be a cold day in a warm place when we do this again. UGH. We even felt that our usual morning park, resort afternoon and Epcot evenings were over stimulation with the crowds that we experienced. And we were at a low crowd level time, reportedly. We think in future trips we're up for maybe 3 hours at a park, either very early or very late, and lots and lots of non park relaxing time. :D

I highly recommend birthday celebrations, the Boardwalk and 4 day Armed Forces Salute tickets for a 7 day stay - we had such a great time even outside the parks.

So that's my trip report. Thanks for reading! :thumbsup:

Jan

faline
02-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Happy belated birthday, Jan!! :party:

What a wonderful way to celebrate - surrounded by family and in the midst of Disney World! :mickey:

I thought Stormalong Bay was not an option for vacation club pool hopping??

January-2007
02-25-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm guessing from the report that the pool at the Boardwalk was closed for refurb, and that's why they were given the option to use Stormalong Bay.

I'm so glad you had such a wonderful birthday trip! We have never been before for any of our birthdays so I am super excited to hear your celebrations were so top-notch. We're taking DS for his 4th birthday and have lots to look forward to.

Thanks for the trip report!

emerzmom
02-26-2013, 12:50 AM
Happy Birthday! I know from past experience just how special WDW birthday celebrations can be. So glad you had a good one!
:tink:
Julie

vizsla
02-26-2013, 05:00 AM
Happy Birthday and thanks for the report.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Sounds great, happy birthday

pdrlkr
02-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: :birthday:

buzznwoodysmom
02-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Happy "late" Birthday Jan!!! I am wondering if you share a birthday with my son, Collin? His birthday was Feb. 11th, and we were also in WDW celebrating!

Your trip sounds like so much fun. Every Disney fan should try to spend at least one birthday in WDW!

Janmac
02-26-2013, 04:56 PM
Denise, my birthday is 3 February. Happy belated birthday to Collin!

Linda, the Luna Pool was closed, so the Boardwalk guests could use Stormalong Bay. There was one of those multi-row of seats golf carts waiting frequently by the pool to take folks to the Beach Club.

I kinda thought at first we might have gotten an upgrade, when I saw the Luna Pool. Until the jackhammers started up. :D Though they weren't a bother, not starting til maybe 9 am and generally done by 3:30. It was interesting to look out the window and watch the work.

And my sister couldn't remember what she had reserved, view wise. So if we did get an upgrade, it's lost on us. :blush:

Thanks so much to everyone here who wished me Happy Birthday. And to those whose birthdays are upcoming, birthday wishes to you, and for sure, you can't beat a birthday at Disney! It's so special . . .

Really, I don't mind the little kids with the birthday buttons, but I don't see how they could appreciate it as much as an adult. :thumbsup: Can hardly wait to help my sister celebrate! She'll be such fun. ;)

Jan

faline
02-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Linda, the Luna Pool was closed, so the Boardwalk guests could use Stormalong Bay. There was one of those multi-row of seats golf carts waiting frequently by the pool to take folks to the Beach Club. Jan

Ahhhh!!! Makes perfect sense!!