PDA

View Full Version : Military discount

disney obsessed
02-25-2013, 07:59 AM
Hi.

I don't have a clue if this is possible or not. Please let me know.

My daughters boyfriends parents are both in the navy. If we go to disney with him can he get the military discount tickets for us?

Zoe
02-25-2013, 08:17 AM
Only if they go with you on the first day to activate the tickets.

ANG
02-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Only if they go with you on the first day to activate the tickets.

Correct

Melanie
02-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Yes, the active duty member has to be with you to purchase and activate the tickets at the gate.

disney obsessed
02-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Thank you all.

ddcrna
05-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Hi, sorry, but I have to ask -

"Why do you feel entitled to a military discount if you are not now or have not been in the military?"

Seems similar to a healthy person parking themselves in a wheelchair so they can bypass a line.

Military discounts are for members of the military and their family members. Like anything else, if Disney senses abuse this will go away and they will not have it.

2MuchWDFun
05-19-2013, 09:46 AM

"Why do you feel entitled to a military discount if you are not now or have not been in the military?"

Seems similar to a healthy person parking themselves in a wheelchair so they can bypass a line.

Military discounts are for members of the military and their family members. Like anything else, if Disney senses abuse this will go away and they will not have it.

My husband and I are both retired Navy. The military member can bring friends and other family members as guests on their Disney vacation. The military tickets, Disney hotel discounts, and Shades of Green pricing programs allows a military member to bring guests (who are non-military)--as long as the service member (or spouse) is with them.
The military member is free to bring best friends and relatives with them on their vacation and use the military discounts.

2MuchWDFun
05-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Hi.

I don't have a clue if this is possible or not. Please let me know.

My daughters boyfriends parents are both in the navy. If we go to disney with him can he get the military discount tickets for us?

Just want to clarify...You will have to have the active duty member (currently active or retired) or their dependent spouse (in this case both parents are active duty) there on the first day to activate the military tickets. The dependent son cannot activate the tickets.

ddcrna
05-19-2013, 01:52 PM
I am also retired military, and at risk of being a jerk, I still find a major difference between "friends and family" and "my daughters boyfriends parents". Maybe they are friends, who knows? I just tire of people finding ways to get "bennies" intended for others or beat the system, whether it's at WDW or elsewhere. None of my business anyway I guess. Should have just left it alone.

DisneyPookie
05-19-2013, 02:33 PM
My husband was an Army Reservist for about 3 years and was honorably discharged and has his paper work to prove it. Does this count because he is not considered active? We have never taken advantage of any Military discounts because we didn't think that he is eligible.

Melanie
05-19-2013, 03:33 PM
My husband was an Army Reservist for about 3 years and was honorably discharged and has his paper work to prove it. Does this count because he is not considered active? We have never taken advantage of any Military discounts because we didn't think that he is eligible.

In this instance, no he is not eligible. This offer is for active duty military and 20+ year retirees.

Janmac
05-19-2013, 08:15 PM
I am also retired military, and at risk of being a jerk, I still find a major difference between "friends and family" and "my daughters boyfriends parents". Maybe they are friends, who knows? I just tire of people finding ways to get "bennies" intended for others or beat the system, whether it's at WDW or elsewhere. None of my business anyway I guess. Should have just left it alone.

DH is retired Navy and I am a Navy veteran and yes, people looking for ways to beat the system can be tiring.

It may be in this instance, that the boyfriend's family mentioned the discounts themselves, not realizing they had to be there, too.

Our neighbor's daughter-in-law is eligible to stay at SOG (DOD employee) and made suggestions about discounts to other family members before she got more info and realized she couldn't deliver.

Some times people are just wanting to be helpful.

Jan

Tngirl
05-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Could you tell me what information Disney takes when you activate the Armed Forces Salute tickets. Just been reading it take an hour to activate ??? wow.. Want to make sure what else I need to bring instead of just my military ID.

Melanie
05-20-2013, 05:20 PM
Could you tell me what information Disney takes when you activate the Armed Forces Salute tickets. Just been reading it take an hour to activate ??? wow.. Want to make sure what else I need to bring instead of just my military ID.

An hour? No way. I got mine at Epcot (International Gateway entrance) in January and it took all of 5 minutes. I was just getting one ticket, but still, purchasing 10 shouldn't take anywhere near an hour. All I had with me was my military ID.

T-Belle
05-20-2013, 05:56 PM

Like Melanie said..no way! I activated mine at guest services at DTD. It took all of 5 minutes.

Tngirl
05-21-2013, 12:34 PM

Thank you...I knew an Hr sounded crazy !!! What other info do they need. Husband and I have 2 sets of twins :cloud9: and I want to have all information written down and ready haha..

#1donaldfan
05-22-2013, 12:45 PM

Maybe the poster didn't feel entitled, that's why they asked a simple question on this very friendly board. As mentioned, maybe the boyfriend suggested he could do it for them and the poster was asking "if legal".....:confused:

BrerGnat
05-22-2013, 01:12 PM
Thank you...I knew an Hr sounded crazy !!! What other info do they need. Husband and I have 2 sets of twins :cloud9: and I want to have all information written down and ready haha..

You don't really need to have any information written down. You will just need a military ID which you will hand over. You will need to provide the sponsor's SSN. You will need to give the names of your children, and everyone's names will be written down on the back of the ticket in the signature line.

They may ask for your contact info as well (home address, telephone number) and they will ask which base you are currently stationed at.

disney obsessed
05-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Thank you tomuchwdfun for the answer I was looking for.

I must say I am suprised by the reaction to my question. While I do not feel the need to address my reasons for asking a question, I do feel that I need to defend my integrity. Please do not assume thay my intentions are not of value. Just because there is no personal interaction on the computer, I am a person. It hurt my feelings that someone would automatically assume I had 'bad' intentions.

I have been a member of this board since 1999. It is my favorite disney site and the people here feel like friends in my neighborhood that I see at the park and have a great conversation with. I believe that others feel the same. :mickey:

T-Belle
05-23-2013, 07:06 PM

I must say I am suprised by the reaction to my question. While I do not feel the need to address my reasons for asking a question, I do feel that I need to defend my integrity. Please do not assume thay my intentions are not of value. Just because there is no personal interaction on the computer, I am a person. It hurt my feelings that someone would automatically assume I had 'bad' intentions.

I have been a member of this board since 1999. It is my favorite disney site and the people here feel like friends in my neighborhood that I see at the park and have a great conversation with. I believe that others feel the same. :mickey:

There was absolutely nothing wrong with your question and I'm so sorry your feelings were hurt. :hug:

#1donaldfan
05-24-2013, 02:05 PM

I am glad you spoke up !! :thumbsup: