PDA

View Full Version : How much WEIGHT did you gain?

Mendelson
02-24-2013, 01:54 PM
I have no impulse control. I hear the food is good and of course it's available essentially 24 hours. We are doing seven days and on vacation calories don't count in the moment (only at the end).

I'm afraid. I'm very afraid.

Further, we're spending a day at WDW before the cruise and a few days at WDW after. I figure if I come home having gained anything less than 10 pounds I'm lucky.

Anyone want to weigh in about pounding on the pounds?

retiredfigment
02-24-2013, 03:23 PM
I actually have never gained weight at DW and I eat VERY well. We do so much walking, I burn it off, (or in some cases, sweat it off).

Mendelson
02-24-2013, 05:27 PM
But specifically I mean on the cruise, where there is much less walking.

BrerGnat
02-24-2013, 05:42 PM
I don't know, pound wise, but by day 4, both my husband and I were constantly laughing because at one point, he said "I'm so full, my underwear is tight." It was SO true. The food is SO good, and there is so much of it, everywhere.

Honestly, pace yourself. There is a gym on the ship. Use it. And, also use the stairs rather than the elevators. You will use the stairs a LOT, so might as well make it count!

Have a great cruise!

susie & perla's mom
02-25-2013, 10:25 AM
There is a jogging trail on deck 4 (I think). It's .33mile/lap. I was able to do 4laps for four days out of seven. Nope, I never skipped breakfast, lunch, dinner and we even had brunch at PALO- not to be missed by the way. The best thing, I did not gain a single ounce :cloud9:

DizneyRox
02-25-2013, 11:39 AM
I'll be honest, while you can surely eat yourself into oblivion, it's not as easy as it once was IMHO.

Portions are not as big as they used to be, so if you can control yourself and NOT order three entrees at dinner, you're doing good.

There are times that food is unavailable, moreso than in years past where you are right, there was something open 24/7. Yes, room service is available, but how much fun is that.

You'd be surprised at how much walking can be done, take the stairs, not the elevators (they are small and somewhat inconvenient anyway)..

The hardest part will be Castaway Cay. That's a really yummy buffet. You can always walk back to the ship to help work it off.

I don't think we've gained anything onboard in recent years, been cruising for three years now, probably gained more at WDW when we went.

Mendelson
02-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Thanks all.

I already told my wife I'm going to the gym every day and I'm a stairs-over-elevator guy in general, so that may help. But I'm afraid it will be like putting out a forest fire with a squirt gun!

Good to know on the portion sizes. I think if I eat a light breakfast (I mean, eggs and pork products and muffins are generally the same anywhere, so i don't need to gorge on that) and not stuff myself at dinner or indulge after dinner, I might be okay. And chasing around a 2.5yo keeps one active, of course.

DizneyRox
02-26-2013, 01:57 PM
Gone is the midnight buffet, the dessert buffet, the midnight dessert buffet, etc. The only thing is the Pirate Night buffet, and honestly, it was so soon after dinner, I didn't grab much.

I'd grab an ice cream walking around on deck, or maybe a slice of pizza at a on a whim, but I didn't find myself walking around with a shovel and a bottle of pepto.

Ed
02-27-2013, 08:19 AM
We just got back from a 7-night cruise on Fantasy. Yes, food was plentiful and delicious. We used the elevators at all times, thanks to cranky knees and hips (the price of being :old: ), and I only gained two pounds. DW wouldn't tell me how much, but she said she was pleasantly pleased that she hadn't gained more.

BrerGnat
02-27-2013, 09:14 AM
Gone is the midnight buffet, the dessert buffet, the midnight dessert buffet, etc. The only thing is the Pirate Night buffet, and honestly, it was so soon after dinner, I didn't grab much.

I'd grab an ice cream walking around on deck, or maybe a slice of pizza at a on a whim, but I didn't find myself walking around with a shovel and a bottle of pepto.

No, there aren't buffets at all hours. That's not what did me in. It wasn't even the poolside grab and go.

It was those evil, delicious little desserts at the Vista Cafe on the level above the atrium. I couldn't get enough of those cookie/brownie bars, chocolate torts, cheesecake bars, cookies, key lime tarts...it was all SO good. I bet each of those little desserts was like 200 calories. I admit to having SEVERAL a day. :blush: Also, breakfast really did us in. At home, I eat a TINY breakfast each day. Cup of coffee/bowl of cereal or a Greek yogurt cup. That's it. On the cruise, I was eating huge plates of eggs, sausage, bacon, fruit, pastries, juice, etc. It was all so good that I couldn't resist it!

To say that I ate WAY over and above how I normally eat would be an understatement. I was glad that the cruise was over after 5 days. I might have literally exploded if it had been 2 more. ;)

Auroring Good Time
02-27-2013, 06:54 PM
Just returned from the Fantasy last week. 3 lbs gained with no regrets. The food was delicious. I'll just work harder at the gym this week.

NJGIRL
03-16-2013, 12:02 PM
My last two Disney Cruises I didn't gain any weight, We did a three day cruise and then 7 days between Disney & Universal so I think all that walking after the cruise helped out alot. Also after 3 days of non stop eating, once we were in Disney we didn't eat as much as usual.

This time we are doing Disney/Universal first and the cruise last, so I am a little worried.:(

NJGIRL
03-16-2013, 12:05 PM
also use the stairs rather than the elevators. You will use the stairs a LOT, so might as well make it count!

This is a great tip. Not only for the exercise, but for the time it will save you. :thumbsup:

NJGIRL
03-16-2013, 12:09 PM
The only thing is the Pirate Night buffet, and honestly, it was so soon after dinner, I didn't grab much.

I noticed that too. I wish they had the buffet a little later because it was pretty good.

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-07-2013, 02:04 PM
I noticed that too. I wish they had the buffet a little later because it was pretty good.

A later buffet would be nice, especially if you have the early dinner seating.:blush:

MNNHFLTX
04-07-2013, 02:37 PM
I haven't been on a Disney Cruise, but several other cruises, the last one being about a year ago. I didn't gain any weight either, mainly for two reasons (I believe). One is that I'm really not a dessert/sweets/chocolate person, so avoiding the calories in those was easy. And two, I'm also not a big fan of buffets or cafeteria-style food and tend to take really small samples of food items at those. Dinner was always more of a splurge and I often got two entrees or appetizers (they weren't that big) and veggies/salad, but stayed away from fillers, like bread. Also, there are so many ways to work out on a cruise ship. My sisters and nieces (who I went with) would go to the gym, I went to the track early every morning for a brisk walk. It really was a great way to start the day! And yes, we always took the stairs. :)

Christine
05-03-2013, 09:33 AM
We just got back yesterday from the Wonder and I am up 3 pounds! Could have been SO much worse but I ran on deck 4 Monday and ran the Castaway Cay 5K Wednesday. Also got the Rainforest spa pass which includes a KILLER steam room so I was able to sweat out some of that salt retention!

If I hadn't done that, oy, the humanity! It would have been horrid! I ate myself stupid all week! :)

TracyL
05-07-2013, 09:14 PM
If you're on the Dream or the Fantasy, do the Midship Detective Agency game. GREAT way to get in a lot of walking and stairs. And do the Castaway Cay 5K -- you can walk it if you're not a runner (that's what I did).

On a 3-night cruise, I gained two pounds, mostly water weight I suspect, because it took less than a week of sane eating to take it back off.

But I'd been watching my diet and exercise from January 2 until the day the cruise sailed, so I was already in a "self-control" mode. I didn't hold myself back on the cruise -- I ate what I wanted -- but what I wanted wasn't really all that ridiculous. If anything, I left food on my plate. Yes, it was delish, but I didn't need to eat every bite to know that.

catasaid
05-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Just got back from doing 4 days at PO French Quarter and the 3 night cruise on the Disney dream....and YIKES :jaw:, I gained 5 lbs! But I enjoyed every minute & mouthful of this trip! Now it's back to reality and counting my Weight Watchers points.

Mendelson
05-22-2013, 06:46 PM
As the OP I feel the responsibility to report....I'm happy to say that I lost half a pound! I am certain I gained five or six pounds on the cruise, but five days in the parks spread out before and after the boat took it off.

It helped that the chocolate chip cookies at Cabanas are baked twice as long as they should be and that the nearly 24-hour soft serve ice cream is just horrible. I'm a sucker for cookies and ice cream, but not bad cookies and ice cream.

I did have a version of a Dole Whip float every night at dinner with my app. Every night.

BuddyL4
05-22-2013, 07:47 PM
That's the scary part about going on a cruise, you go on as guests and come off as cargo! :D

Christine
05-24-2013, 01:30 PM
That's the scary part about going on a cruise, you go on as guests and come off as cargo! :D

That is hilarious AND true! :)