PDA

View Full Version : Nationwide Race at Daytona today

Main Street Jim
02-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Glad to see Tony make it through that mess at the end, but hated the way he ended up winning it.

Drivers aren't content to bring the car home in one piece rather than risk wreckin' the field. I'd rather finish in 6th or 7th than throw a block like that and cause a mess for the whole field.

Was glad to see all the drivers, especially Kyle Larson, climb out of their cars and walk away.

Hope that all the injured fans will be OK.

VWL Mom
02-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Just read about the crash online. Scary. Sounds like all the fans and drivers have been released except for two that still remain hospitalized. My prayers are with them.

SandmanGStefani24
02-23-2013, 11:53 PM
pretty much a result of two items that effect Nascar in a negative way...

1. WIN NOW OR ELSE. With the pressure of sponsors and fans teams want wins now, and don't give time to develop. Knowing this, drivers push harder and are more inclined to wreck someone if they know they can win and get away with it.

2. AGE IS THE KISS OF DEATH. Somewhere down the line Nascar forgot its roots and decided once you get past a certain age you're done. This is in some cases true, but with age and experience comes common sense and restraint. The sport pushes out older more sensible drivers and rushes in kids who have no business being in Cup and is then surprised when they struggle.

The Cup race is going to be a little more sensible, but with a new car and the 500 on the line, the big one is going to happen. Let's just hope the fans stay safe.

Footnote, I am a racer as a side job/money pit, and my heart goes out to the fans who were injured. We as racers understand and accept the risks and what can happen to us, but fans don't and shouldn't.

JanetMegan
02-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Anytime half the car ends up on the wrong side of the fence you start to question some things-glad at this point it looks like everyone will recover.