PDA

View Full Version : Big Thunder Mountain Queue Details Revealed

Figment!
02-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Despite the obvious additions and months of rampant Guest/Cast speculation, The Walt Disney World resort has finally confirmed details of the new interactive elements in the Big Thunder Mountain Queue.

In addition to many new props and new scenes inside the queue to tell the new back story of a greedy mining Barron, three main interactive sections have been added. The new interactive sections are scheduled to be operational "Late March 2013".

**Mild Spoiler Alert**

If you wish to be completely surprised by the new effects, do not proceed below:

First, Guests will be able to help blast a new mine shaft in the mountain from plungers located in the queue. Next, Guests will be able to look down through scopes at the foreman's post and observe happenings in the mine shafts below. Finally, Guests will be able to help the miners test the air quality with the latest 1860's technology.

Walt Disney Imagineering has released the following YouTube video giving a sneak peek at the construction and also a preview of the new effects:

Official Preview Video of the New Big Thunder Mountain Queue (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=oNfl19gKA2Y).

January-2007
02-21-2013, 10:19 PM
Cool video, thanks!

hoop de do
02-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks Jason.
I'm anxious to see it .
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Stu29573
02-22-2013, 10:42 AM
I thought Big Thunder Mine was supposed to be abandoned, with haunted mine trains.... This kinda ruins that story, doesn't it?

Figment!
02-22-2013, 06:29 PM
I thought Big Thunder Mine was supposed to be abandoned, with haunted mine trains.... This kinda ruins that story, doesn't it? Imagineering has re-written the storyline of the attraction.

The new storyline involves supernatural forces inside the mountain protecting its gold from the unscrupulous Barnabas T. Bullion with mysterious happenings-- including runaway trains.

In addition to the interactive sets, several props have been added through-out the queue for Guests to uncover Mr. Bullion's unscrupulous actions.

The Barnabas T. Bullion character's likeness was modeled after Mr. Baxter as an homage to his original work on the attraction.

The new storyline and a painting of the new Barnabas T. Bullion character can be found here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=196073).

CuteAsMinnie
02-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks, Figment!

Aurora
02-23-2013, 01:00 PM
You know, I've visited WDW many times since before Big Thunder was built <insert old-lady voice and creaking-joints sound here>, and I never even knew the backstory of BTM.

It's my 9-year-old nephew's favorite attraction of all four parks. You know what he said when I asked him about the story? That it was about a runaway train.

I think the changes look and sound interesting and fun. I might actually ride it again.

BTW, if you want to know the evolution of queues in theme parks, just look at Disney's. Peter Pan and Snow White were the first examples of solutions to long lines -- queues that wound back and forth so there would be movement. Then there were the atmospheric, immersive queues, from Pirates of the Caribbean to Expedition Everest.

Interactive queues are the next step in the evolution. Just because they exist doesn't make them bad. I wonder if people who first saw the immersive queues said, "You know, these kids today aren't happy with just moving back and forth -- they always need something to look at!"

roses
02-23-2013, 05:23 PM
:thumbsup: Love interactive queues - gives the public something to do while they wait in line. And by public, I mean my 3 year old! Not that she'll ride this, but I still think it's a great idea!

JRocker
02-24-2013, 07:27 AM
You know, I've visited WDW many times since before Big Thunder was built <insert old-lady voice and creaking-joints sound here>, and I never even knew the backstory of BTM.

I was actually surprised to hear that people knew the back story.

And really, I think maybe the <insert old-lady voice and creaking-joints sound> belongs with all of the "I don't like change!" comments.

I don't get the hate for the interactive. It doesn't interfere with my experience and it enhances other peoples experience. Sure, there is a bunch of added sounds and visuals, but it is a theme park, not a library.

TheVBs
02-24-2013, 08:08 AM
You know, interactive queues are take it or leave it for us. If the line is moving we usually just keep moving. If it's stopped and there's something for us to try out, great. This is another thing that I don't really get the gloom and doom surrounding it. I just can't imagine an interactive queue ruining the actual ride for us. I will add that we really like being able to bypass the HM one when we feel like it. We let the girls decide which one to take and after doing the interactive stuff a couple of times they usually opt to get on the ride faster. But, still, I've got to say that I just don't see this as a big deal.

John
02-26-2013, 09:54 AM
I just had to do a lot of editing to this thread and some posts had to be deleted because they no longer made sense without context. Please discuss without attacking, be civil without pounding your point over and over and over again.

It's not all about you - it's about the community of INTERCOT. It's ok for people to have different opinions and winning the post war in a thread doesn't make you the victor - it only makes you look dumb.

Keep it friendly. Thanks.

Dulcee
02-26-2013, 12:16 PM
I think this is fun! BTM's line can be long hot and boring.

Nascfan
02-26-2013, 12:23 PM
I think this is fun! BTM's line can be long hot and boring.
I was thinking very similar. The queue was very much like an amusement park queue vs. a theme park in my view. This should hopefully add something to that. Looking forward to seeing it in May.

NJGIRL
02-27-2013, 07:39 AM
While we usually skip the interactive stuff after the first time around, I love that it is there to visually help keep the story alive before boarding the ride. This ride had a very long boring line, so any improvements will help IMO. I actually can't wait to look into the shaft!

Goofster
03-11-2013, 01:29 PM
This was up and running on our last day at MK this past Thursday (March 7th). The kids thought the blasting was pretty cool (we were there at night) and it had some neat special lighting effects. The mine shafts were kind of dumb, we looked through all of them and there wasn't really much to see...instantly...unless you stood there for a few minutes, but the line was moving so you really couldn't do that.