PDA

View Full Version : Interactive queue ettiquette

K8screen
02-21-2013, 11:23 AM
We were at MK recently, and I was never sure whether it was ok to just walk past people who were doing the interactive stuff, or if you were supposed to keep your place in line even if a HUGE gap was developing in front of them. This was a particular problem at HM. I didnt want to annoy the prople in front who I passed, or the ones behind who were waiting. What are you meant to do?

EJS-Houston
02-21-2013, 11:41 AM
While I certainly don't claim to be the ultimate arbiter of etiquette, I've always felt that it's perfectly okay to walk past someone in line who's stopped to enjoy the interactive elements. Similarly, when the line is moving very quickly, there isn't much room to get around people and there are plenty of people behind me, I don't stop to look at the interactive elements myself. I figure I'll be back and can enjoy them another time.

TinkerbellT421
02-21-2013, 11:51 AM
This occurred with us also at HM. It was a walk-on as it was during EMH and there was literally NO WAIT. People about 15 were playing with the interactive queues. We walked past. We walked in the room with only five other people waiting. Now, if it were a "line" due to a long wait that's different. But if people are holding up the line to play and it is a walk on, I find no issue with walking past them. And no one said anything to us about it, and not sure I would have really been bothered by it if they have. I personally would find it rude for people to hold up other people wanting to get on a ride just because they want to play with the queue. There was an option to by pass the queue all together as well and no one was in that line. But it was set up awfully confusing as to what line is which and which one you should get in if you weren't already familiar with the set up.

buzznwoodysmom
02-21-2013, 12:14 PM
If there is no one in line ahead of the group stopping to enjoy the interactive elements then I think it's fine to just pass them by. However, if the line is long I don't usually pass people who stop to enjoy he queue. I mean, if I still have to wait to get on the attraction then it doesn't really bother me to allow those in front of me to "hold up" the line a bit for pictures or whatnot. One that comes to mind is the Buzz and woody meet and greet at DHS. That line gets backed up, but I understand that there are terrific photo ops in this queue and I would not pass another party who were taking photos, unless there was absolutely no one ahead of them.

For those of you who mention haunted mansion, there is a separate queue for those who don't care to go through the interactive one. If you find it rude for other guests to hold up the queue for this particular attraction then perhaps you should go through the non interactive queue. They are clearly marked and not very difficult to tell which is which.

DizneyFreak2002
02-22-2013, 12:01 PM
The HM queue is a disaster... That interactive graveyard is a annoyance... From what I recall there is a sign at the entrance that says "through cemetery" and just "entrance"... But, can you really avoid the graveyard? You may be able to escape the people who get fascinated by playing with toys, and the kids who have to put their hands on everything like kids do, but you cannot escape that headache inducing noise...

What I cannot recall is, do they have a dedicated fastpass line? Is there a third line for the people who think FP is needed for this attraction (it's not)? I cannot recall a third line, but then again, this is an attraction where FP is not needed...

If people become amazed and hypnotized by the HM graveyard, or any of the not needed interactive queues, then walk by... They say something, well, tell them you snooze you lose.. and keep going... I did that on Soarin... And didn't care...

TinkerbellT421
02-22-2013, 12:10 PM
The HM queue is a disaster... That interactive graveyard is a annoyance... From what I recall there is a sign at the entrance that says "through cemetery" and just "entrance"... But, can you really avoid the graveyard? You may be able to escape the people who get fascinated by playing with toys, and the kids who have to put their hands on everything like kids do, but you cannot escape that headache inducing noise...

What I cannot recall is, do they have a dedicated fastpass line? Is there a third line for the people who think FP is needed for this attraction (it's not)? I cannot recall a third line, but then again, this is an attraction where FP is not needed...

If people become amazed and hypnotized by the HM graveyard, or any of the not needed interactive queues, then walk by... They say something, well, tell them you snooze you lose.. and keep going... I did that on Soarin... And didn't care...

Bingo. Also did this on Space Mountain. And not to mention most of those silly button thingy's weren't working anyway.

indytraveler
02-22-2013, 12:11 PM
I'm in the walk right by them camp. If I'm in the interactive part of the queue and I stop and look and play with something and a gap opens up in front of me and people pass me then thats ok. If I look up and see the gap and start walking then don't push me aside to get in front of me.

Best Interactive queue is the one for Winnie the Pooh. If you like little kids banging on things for 30-45 min then this is the place for you.:D

DizneyFreak2002
02-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Bingo. Also did this on Space Mountain. And not to mention most of those silly button thingy's weren't working anyway.

Did it on Space Mountain too... The people playing the games didn't seem to care...

Cheshire_Girl
02-22-2013, 03:07 PM
Last time I had this happen to me was on Space Mtn as well. And the people in front of me did care, and acted like I was the one being rude...Up until about 3 months ago, it seemed that any time the line was less than 20-25minutes for space mtn (which is the only time I will ride it these days) they didn't even have the game turned on. I've seen it off many times and always just assumed that they turned it off when the line was short so that people wouldn't stop and play it and hold everything up-but that last 3/4 times I have ridden the game has been on.
Interactive ques are cool-and we all know that they are there for a reason-ie to kill time in long lines. I think that people should be courtesy to that fact, and if they want to play in the que when the line is short, they shouldn't expect people behind them to wait. No matter how long the line is...If you create a gap longer than 10 people deep-it should be fair game for those waiting to get in front of you.

SBETigg
02-22-2013, 03:19 PM
And this is why I'm not a fan of interactive elements. I say it's fine form to walk on by the people who stop to play, but not sure if they agree. Some might, some might not. I do like that you have a choice in HM. And you're all going to be jumbled together again soon enough, so does it really matter?

MickeysBestPal
02-22-2013, 03:44 PM

HM has not had FP for years.
The FP kiosks were removed a couple of remodels ago (and had not been used for years before that.)

All that said...
HM is SCHEDULED to have new FP+ access when the system comes on line.
(The RFID sensors are now in place, AFAIK.)

Don't know how FP+ will ultimately affect the lines (any of them) at HM, as yet.

MargaretMessler
02-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Personally if there is a LARGE gap or NO gap then I feel like I should be able to walk on by. If there is a huge line anyway then I would hang back for a few.

I do remember another guest getting VERY angry with me - enough so to approach me just inside the building - when at RnRC I passed by him as he stood on the ramp to gaze out over the park.

DizneyFreak2002
02-22-2013, 05:19 PM
HM has not had FP for years.
The FP kiosks were removed a couple of remodels ago (and had not been used for years before that.)

All that said...
HM is SCHEDULED to have new FP+ access when the system comes on line.
(The RFID sensors are now in place, AFAIK.)

Don't know how FP+ will ultimately affect the lines (any of them) at HM, as yet.

Thank you! I didn't remember fast pass lines, I know FP was removed from HM since it is not needed... I don't want to make this into a NextGen thread, but since HM will be getting FP+, expect standby lines to increase..

And the graveyard will be the standby queue while the other entrance will become FP+... So much for having a choice once the FP+ mess rolls out...

disneylovinmom
02-22-2013, 11:51 PM
I actually had a confrontation with a very miserable and unhappy fellow in the line at HM this past October due to stopping to experience these extras. I was called "ignorant at it's finest" for stopping to play with these gadgets. If it is going to cause such problems and make someone that unhappy at WDW, maybe they should just take them out.

DizneyFreak2002
02-23-2013, 12:36 AM
I actually had a confrontation with a very miserable and unhappy fellow in the line at HM this past October due to stopping to experience these extras. I was called "ignorant at it's finest" for stopping to play with these gadgets. If it is going to cause such problems and make someone that unhappy at WDW, maybe they should just take them out.

You were playing with the gadgets... So, if he passed you by, would you have been mad at him? Just curious cause it seems like most of us think it is okay to pass up those playing with the tinker toys instead of moving the line forward...

LVT
02-23-2013, 06:56 AM
I pass by for the interactive players. Not so much for the photos.
Maybe we should do a poll and set an ettiquette standard.

disneylovinmom
02-23-2013, 09:16 AM
No, I wouldn't have cared if he went around. The ride would have still been there when my and my kids were done playing with the gadgets. Is that not what they are there for? Also, isn't there a line that bypasses that area, so if people do not want to see the gadgets they can move on? I don't get upset at Disney if I can avoid it. It is the happiest place on Earth, after all. :mickey:

vamaggie
02-23-2013, 09:36 AM
If it is going to cause such problems and make someone that unhappy at WDW, maybe they should just take them out.

The gadgets or the grump-a-suarus? Some people are going to be angry/mad/upset no matter what they do or where they are. Be thankful you are not one of them and enjoy.

DizneyFreak2002
02-23-2013, 11:17 AM
No, I wouldn't have cared if he went around. The ride would have still been there when my and my kids were done playing with the gadgets. Is that not what they are there for? Also, isn't there a line that bypasses that area, so if people do not want to see the gadgets they can move on? I don't get upset at Disney if I can avoid it. It is the happiest place on Earth, after all. :mickey:

That is the point I think a lot of us were trying to get... That if people play with the gadgets, then expect to be bypassed and don't get mad about it... I'm with you... If I were playing with these toys (and no I won't ever cause I think they are a waste and I don't need to be entertained in a queue), then I wouldn't be upset if people passed me up while I enjoyed testing the gadgets out... :thumbsup:

AmandaChan
02-23-2013, 01:31 PM
I finally got around to looking at the interactive queue on our last trip and I wanted to immerse myself in the beauty that is disney detail and I would not have cared if people walked past me. I don't think the line was too crazy but still.

texas211
02-24-2013, 11:27 AM
I walk right past. Their choice is to sit and play or advance in line. THey seem to be making their choice. Since the purpose of the line is to advance towards the attraction, I keep it going.

Now a few folks have gotten upset and felt i should stand behind. them for 20 minutes. But i'm not afraid of a lil confrontation. I have found the people who hold up the line are the same ones blocking the way to an entrance/exit, escalator/elevator, etc.

BuffaloJason
02-24-2013, 12:58 PM
Interesting thread. I would be tempted to pass people who are stopped in line, but wouldn't for fear that it was a gross violation of line etiquette... but the general consensus on here now has me wondering if I've been restraining myself necessarily. Then again, you are just hurrying up to get to more line ahead, kind of like the person that passes someone in traffic, just so they can get to the red light ahead faster. I'm not so sure being patient isn't the right thing to do. It's still supposed to be a vacation after all :mickey:

MickeysBestPal
02-24-2013, 05:24 PM
It's still supposed to be a vacation after all

And, I'm inclined not to want to waste it.

If I was sitting on a beach reading a book, that's one kind of vacation.

If I've got an upcoming ADR or a FP due in 40 minutes, and I have a chance to ride HM, that's another kind of vacation.

texas211
02-24-2013, 06:36 PM
And, I'm inclined not to want to waste it.

If I was sitting on a beach reading a book, that's one kind of vacation.

If I've got an upcoming ADR or a FP due in 40 minutes, and I have a chance to ride HM, that's another kind of vacation.

Exactly! Plus is 90% humidity and 90+ degrees and i'm not in the ocean with a beer and a cigar. So let's get in and get some AC.

K8screen
02-25-2013, 04:23 AM
It seems Im not the only one with this problem. I DO get upset by confrontations, and, ok, maybe I am pathetic, but I dont like people to criticise my behaviour at all, even politely, so I try VERY HARD not to upset people. It seems in these interactive queues Disney is asking for disagreements and unhappiness among guests. Perhaps a notice at the start of queues saying either "Please dont pass people playing games" or "Please allow others to pass if you choose to play games", whichever way Disney wants it, would let people know where they stood.

BuffaloJason
02-25-2013, 08:13 AM
I agree 100%. Some sort of policy statement from Disney definitely seems in order. I feel like cutting in line is cutting in line, regardless of what the people you're cutting in front of are doing... but we've been going in early February for the last decade or so, when its somewhat easier to be patient. I do remember what it feels like to be there in 90+ degrees / 90%+ humidity, crazy crowd time and nerves tend to fray

borisfam
02-25-2013, 10:54 AM
How about just asking the person playing? They'll either get back in line or tell you to go ahead. Seems simple to me.

Mickey'sIrishPAl
02-25-2013, 03:41 PM
How about just asking the person playing? They'll either get back in line or tell you to go ahead. Seems simple to me.

I think that this is sometimes what leads to the disagreements even tho I agree that this is the most civil approach to the situation. I can control my behavior and temper, but by me asking them if I could move past (as mentioned by others in previous posts) people get their panties in a bunch and get offended at the thought of you trying to get by them even though they may be holding you up. People don't realize that you are on your vacation which is your time. By them holding you up and not allowing you to pass, they are taking time away from YOUR TIME hence I feel that they are being the uncivil ones but again when you are trying to be the responsible adult and not cause a bench clearing brawl over moving up 10 feet in line it becomes an issue of ethics and whether or not you can withstand a possible verbal assault from a person who feels that you should stand behind as they go for the high score while waiting to get on Space Mountain. Me, I walk right by every time and have never gotten yelled at.

I politley walk by every time and say, "Excuse me" and smile and have never had a problem. But I have witnessed some "adults" come unglued and quite verbal at others, to the point where I actually approached the yeller and told them to stick a sock in it and went to bat for the people who did not want to stand behind the yeller's children who were engaged in the activities. I think its great that the kids want to play with the stuff, its Disney....be a kid. Just dont expect me to stand around and enjoy your family's experiences.

stephicakes
02-26-2013, 05:56 AM
I always say, "Excuse me... are you still in line or can I sneak by you?". Sometimes people are so involved in playing the games they don't realize they are holding things up. They usually start moving again after I ask. Or they tell me to pass them. I have never had anyone get irate over me asking. There is no reason for them to get mad - either they stay in line or stay to play the game. Even with a language barrier I just smile and point to the line ahead of them - that seems to work too. hehe!

I like to walk through the interactive queues at times just to check things out. With all the germs out there you couldn't pay me enough to touch those buttons & things anyway! :ack:

steph :)