PDA

View Full Version : Training Check-in/Encouragement Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

badkitty
07-09-2014, 06:27 PM
I know just feeling the woe is me right now. I'll be better soon. I hope. Lol

Hang in there! Take the time to recover and you will bounce back in no time. Your muscles will remember your previous training. :thumbsup:

JMTStone
10-15-2014, 09:00 AM
How is everyone's training?

Mine is going real well. Did my first 10K race with PR a few weeks ago. I'm signed up for a 10 miler for 11/9 and the training for that is good. I'm up to 8 miles now.

I am pretty sure I'll be ready for the 5K, the 10K, then the 1/2 (what was I thinking?). Then #cheerICOT for the whole (apparently there is a snicker requirement from our fearless #runICOT Christine who is doing the whole).

Is anyone else doing the whole have special requests? I have to work on my signs!

JMTStone
12-19-2014, 03:41 PM
How is everyone's training going? I'm doing good. I think I'll be good for the 5 (walking with hubby) 10 (walk/run) and 1/2 (struggle but doing it).

Saw all the merchandise on the runDisney boards. I have my runICOT T shirts ordered.

But even after all the illness and hospital stay, I'm IN. Less than a month away, my friends!

Yungbuck73
12-19-2014, 04:06 PM
Glad ur training is going good. See YA and everyone real soon.
Enjoy the holiday season everyone.

AgentC
12-19-2014, 08:20 PM
How is everyone's training going? I'm doing good. I think I'll be good for the 5 (walking with hubby) 10 (walk/run) and 1/2 (struggle but doing it).

Saw all the merchandise on the runDisney boards. I have my runICOT T shirts ordered.

But even after all the illness and hospital stay, I'm IN. Less than a month away, my friends!

Glad you have recovered. I am good for the 5K and we'll see what happens for the 10k. I'm pretty sure I can finish but I'm not going to be fast. I just have not been training enough. Definitely planning a run /walk at a moderate/slow pace.

Yungbuck73
06-08-2015, 06:16 PM
So this thread needed to be woken up.
Today is June 8th, 2015, 7 months away from the WDW Marathon weekend 10K.
Since I have been dealing with shin splints,I have been taking it easy, but today started a new program. It's a real easy slow program to begin and i'm basically starting from scratch. Below is the program i will be following .
7 MONTHS FROM TODAY!!!!

from Jeff Galloway's web site:

Jeff Galloway 8 Week Conditioning Program (for those who need a little more fitness before the half or full marathon training program begins) Note: if you need several weeks at each run/walk ratio level, take it. This pre-conditioning training should not be stressful or painful. When in doubt, ease off

Week 1 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 5 seconds/walk for 55 seconds on the run/walk days)
Mon: 10 min run/walk
Tues: 15 min walk
Wed: 13 min run/walk
Thurs: 18 min walk
Fri: off
Sat: 1 mile run/walk
Sun: off/walk
Week 2 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 5 seconds/walk for 55 seconds on the run/walk days)
Mon: 15 min run/walk
Tues: 20 min walk
Wed: 17 min run/walk
Thurs: 22 min walk
Sat: 1.25 mi run/walk
Week 3 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 10 seconds/walk for 50 seconds on the run/walk days)
Mon: 19 min run/walk
Tues: 24 min walk
Wed: 21 min run/walk
Thurs: 26 min walk
Sat: 1.5 mi run/walk
Week 4 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for10 seconds/walk for 50 seconds on the run/walk days)
Mon: 23 min run/walk
Tues: Walk 28 min
Wed: 25 min run/walk
Thurs: Walk 30 min
Sat: 1.75 mi run/walk
Week 5 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 10 seconds/walk for 50 seconds on the run/walk days)
Mon: 27 min run/walk
Tues: Walk 30 min
Wed: 29 min run/walk
Sat: 2 mi run/walk
Week 6 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 15 seconds/walk for 45 seconds on the run/walk days)
Mon: 30 min run/walk
Tues: Walk 30 min
Wed: 30 min run/walk
Sat: 2.25 mi run/walk
Week 7 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 15 seconds/walk for 45 seconds on the run/walk days)
Tues: walk 30 min
Sat: 2.5 mi run/walk
Week 8 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 15 seconds/walk for 45 seconds on the run/walk days)
Tues: walk 30 min
Sat: 2.75 mi run/walk

badkitty
06-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Good for you Justin and Dawn! Slow and steady is the best way. You don't need to add a lot of miles right away. The 10K training plan for the WDW weekend is an 18 week plan that would start sometime in September. On the program, you wouldn't start hitting 4 and 5 miles until November. Happy training!

tcam326
06-17-2015, 10:47 AM
any tips for running back to back races? I'm running the 10k & half in Jan. Then the next week doing the rebel challenge. What training plans are good?

cer
06-17-2015, 03:24 PM
any tips for running back to back races? I'm running the 10k & half in Jan. Then the next week doing the rebel challenge. What training plans are good?

The Jeff Galloway plans on the runDisney site are good ones to follow. He will likely have one set for the Rebel Challenge and just start it a week early. If not, pull the Dumbo Dare one and adjust the dates for your event time. Do your best to save steps during the days leading up to the runs. That is the hardest part for me.

The run/walk/run Galloway method is also a great way to train and make sure you complete the event upright and injury free. Lately, I have been using this to reset my form which tends to break down the more tired I become. I use very short intervals (you would need to figure out what works for you if you choose to do this). For me, I currently run 45 sec/walk 22 sec. I know it sounds short, but it works for me. They sell timers that you can set to keep track of your intervals, you can set it to beep or vibrate or both. Mine is the Gym Boss.

Make sure you are taking in your nutrition (what every you prefer gummies/gels) at approx. 45 minute intervals and that you also replace electrolytes as you go, by sipping both water and Powerade or Gatorade. This is also very important during training as well.

I would foam roll if not my whole legs at least my calf muscles before the event, I'd roll out my whole legs after. If ice baths help you recover, do those, too. Stretch out if that works for you, but do not over stretch. Treat the 10K's the day before the half marathons as easy training runs.

For me, the hardest part would be that interim week - do your best to not wear out your legs and feet too much. So hard to do b/c I know you will want to enjoy the parks.

These are things that have worked for me. I do not see any reason to train any differently for the 10K and Half one weekend and then the same the following weekend. I think that is reasonable to do, the hard part will be making sure you are healthy for the next weekend because of what you do during the week. What I mean is, your run set up is fine, it is what you do when you are not racing that will make the Rebel Challenge, well, challenging.

Pay attention to the areas prone to chafing and those hot spots on your feet while training. I use body glide on my toes and that helps keep those blisters away. Another thing, compression leg sleeves. I've used them on longer runs and have worn them after for recovery, I have also worn them on long plane rides. They seem to help. You may want to give them a try.

Let me end by saying that these suggestions are what have worked for me. Everyone has to figure out what works best for them. Your training time is a great time to try out what works for you. You are going to have a great time!

Another mental thing I did to help me in training for Dopey- on my runs, I would think, "THIS is the Dopey". The event is not just the few hours you run from the start to the finish line. This event is all of it, beginning from your first training run.

Thrilled for you!

tcam326
06-17-2015, 03:50 PM
Thank you for the help. I didn't think about park time. I'm currently doing intervals. It does work. I had a knee injury in the fall of 2014. I don't want to injure it again. So I'm taking things slow.

brownie
06-17-2015, 08:15 PM
I used the Galloway Rebel Challenge training plan to run this past January's Rebel Challenge. It worked for me. The only thing I would've done different is not spend all day Saturday after the 10K in the park. All the walking and standing on Saturday impacted my run on Sunday some.

badkitty
06-17-2015, 10:42 PM
I agree with all cer and brownie's advice. My biggest downfall is spending too much time in the parks on Friday before the 10K and Saturday before the half. I've done several challenges and you would I would have figured this out by now! Stay off your legs as much as possible is the best advice. Since this is your trip to DL, the temptations will be great to spend long hours in the parks. If you can, do your park days after the races.

tcam326
06-18-2015, 08:11 AM
I'll try and remember to take it easy. Thanks.

brownie
06-21-2015, 03:39 PM
The Galloway training plans for the 2016 Marathon Weekend are posted on the runDisney site.

MushuGrl
06-22-2015, 04:12 PM
Thanks so much for restarting this thread!

First 10K is Saturday and planned to use it for proof of time in the Princess - training was kind of Hulksmashed (wrong race, I know) due to family sickness and a strained muscle last week. But I'm doing it ANYWAY and praying for the best!

Switched my program from the Active training (which was great but I think a little too intense for 10K training for me) to Jeff Galloway, doing a 1:00/1:00 walk run.

Do any of you have long car rides pre-race?

JMTStone
07-01-2015, 01:43 PM
Thanks so much for restarting this thread!

First 10K is Saturday and planned to use it for proof of time in the Princess - training was kind of Hulksmashed (wrong race, I know) due to family sickness and a strained muscle last week. But I'm doing it ANYWAY and praying for the best!

Switched my program from the Active training (which was great but I think a little too intense for 10K training for me) to Jeff Galloway, doing a 1:00/1:00 walk run.

Do any of you have long car rides pre-race?

Sorry about your struggles in your race/training. How did your race go? I am recovering from surgery and can start running on 7/6. I really liked the Jeff Galloway for my first few runs. My plan for my first whole marathon in January is to do my first 10 miles as a regular run then do a 3/3 the rest of the time. I'm able to walk right now and have it under 15 minutes so I think I'll be able to beat the balloon ladies.

No long rides for me but I've heard compression socks work very well during long rides. When we drive to Virginia every Thanksgiving I use them. Also make use of bathroom breaks to quick walk.

brownie
07-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Sorry about your struggles in your race/training. How did your race go? I am recovering from surgery and can start running on 7/6. I really liked the Jeff Galloway for my first few runs. My plan for my first whole marathon in January is to do my first 10 miles as a regular run then do a 3/3 the rest of the time. I'm able to walk right now and have it under 15 minutes so I think I'll be able to beat the balloon ladies.

I'd consider reversing it, run/walk in the beginning and then switch to just running. You might find it'll make the running only part easier.

JMTStone
07-02-2015, 12:06 AM
I've been thinking..... you're right. I may even break down and get Jeff to eCoach me as well. This is my first marathon. I want to finish with a smile on my face. I have a few 1/2's under my belt. I'm not doing the 10 or 1/2 (choosing to #cheerICOT for those races). Being in the north at the end of the training will get me at a disadvantage. Training for the 1/2 last year was difficult because of the weather. Slush, -10 degree wind chill, etc.

On another note, I am allowed to walk so I put 5 miles in a few times this week. My DH Jon went with me tonight. I decided I'm OK with him not being a runner. Love the man, really. But I like to ENJOY the run.

brownie
07-02-2015, 06:26 PM
Read Galloway's Marathon: You Can Do It! book. It was helpful. This will be my first marathon and I'm not running the other races, either. I'm going to cheer the 5K and 10K, but not the half (trying to save my legs the day before the marathon).

JMTStone
07-03-2015, 01:41 AM
Read Galloway's Marathon: You Can Do It! book. It was helpful. This will be my first marathon and I'm not running the other races, either. I'm going to cheer the 5K and 10K, but not the half (trying to save my legs the day before the marathon).

#cheerICOT is just as much fun, will you cheer with us at Boardwalk/EPCOT? I got to talk about my running journey for a video for the national Fleet Feet conference held here in Pittsburgh a few weeks back. Check it out. I'm referring to Christine https://youtu.be/Fn0hDS9Z26A I showed it to Christine and she was saying training in the snow must be miserable. That's the problem with living in the northeast and training for a January race in Florida. We get snow, sleet, slush, ice. And our city is full of bridges that we run across for our training. Bridges over freezing rivers with the wind taking your breath away. But I wouldn't trade it.

Some day, I may Dopey. But first I have to Coast to Coast. Hopefully 2016 is the year I do it.

Disoriented
07-03-2015, 06:14 PM
My plan for my first whole marathon in January is to do my first 10 miles as a regular run then do a 3/3 the rest of the time. I'm able to walk right now and have it under 15 minutes so I think I'll be able to beat the balloon ladies.

I'd consider reversing it, run/walk in the beginning and then switch to just running. You might find it'll make the running only part easier.

What ever you decide your race strategy is going to be. Whether you run the first ten or the last ten or do all intervals, the important thing is to run your long training runs with the same strategy. This will be a great way to find out what works and what doesn’t.

FYI 10 miles is very close to 38% of 26.2 miles

Being that this is your first full marathon you will undoubtedly hear two things more than anything else. Never do anything new on race day and don’t start your race to fast. The second one is a lot harder to do than it sounds.

We get snow, sleet, slush, ice. And our city is full of bridges that we run across for our training. Bridges over freezing rivers with the wind taking your breath away. But I wouldn't trade it.

Running in the snow or at least hard packed snow is actually pretty easy, I’ve been doing it for a few years now. Sleet, slush and ice on the other hand not so much. I have a couple of friends that use yak traks or something like that in icy conditions and they felt that they did a good job of keeping their footing.

Have a great race and we will see you in January.

brownie
07-03-2015, 09:28 PM
[QUOTE=JMTStone;2462804]I'm referring to Christine https://youtu.be/Fn0hDS9Z26A I showed it to Christine and she was saying training in the snow must be miserable. That's the problem with living in the northeast and training for a January race in Florida. We get snow, sleet, slush, ice. And our city is full of bridges that we run across for our training. Bridges over freezing rivers with the wind taking your breath away. But I wouldn't trade it./QUOTE]

Training in the snow and ice makes it easier to run in the sun! There were a lot of days this past winter that it was so cold I had to run indoors on a treadmill, which I try to avoid as much as possible.

I'll be cheering with #cheerICOT for the 5K and 10K!

MushuGrl
07-05-2015, 12:17 PM

No long rides for me but I've heard compression socks work very well during long rides. When we drive to Virginia every Thanksgiving I use them. Also make use of bathroom breaks to quick walk.

I was shooting for 1:15-1:20 but made it in 1:24. A BIT disappointed but considering I was nowhere near ready I'll take it! May try one more time before proof to time submission. (And other than a water stop that wasn't ready for us, my worst pace was 15:20. My best was 10:28 which NEVER HAPPENS...and is why I was dragging butt the last half. Finished with an average pace of 13:30).

JMTStone
07-13-2015, 10:04 AM
I was shooting for 1:15-1:20 but made it in 1:24. A BIT disappointed but considering I was nowhere near ready I'll take it! May try one more time before proof to time submission. (And other than a water stop that wasn't ready for us, my worst pace was 15:20. My best was 10:28 which NEVER HAPPENS...and is why I was dragging butt the last half. Finished with an average pace of 13:30).

Don't be discouraged. We always have that one race that nags us. You'll be fantastic.

I'm not worried about PR at WDW marathon. It will be my first whole so I'll PR! I started running at 43. I was 100 pounds heavier most of my life. If I cross the finish line before balloon ladies I'll be happy. That being said, I did pick up a training club "Essentials of long distance running" to work on my speed as well as my form. Its a 10 week program. I hope it improves my 12:30 average time.

That being said I did my first 5 miles post 2 months of for abdominal surgery and I'm hurting today.

AgentC
07-13-2015, 11:40 PM
Don't be discouraged. We always have that one race that nags us. You'll be fantastic.

I'm not worried about PR at WDW marathon. It will be my first whole so I'll PR! I started running at 43. I was 100 pounds heavier most of my life. If I cross the finish line before balloon ladies I'll be happy. That being said, I did pick up a training club "Essentials of long distance running" to work on my speed as well as my form. Its a 10 week program. I hope it improves my 12:30 average time.

That being said I did my first 5 miles post 2 months of for abdominal surgery and I'm hurting today.

You'll do great! I, however , am getting nervous about being ready for my first 1/2 at Cocoa Beach. I just can't get into a training rhythm. I'm also sad that my time for the 10K in Jan was so lousy because it really won't help me for the 2016 corral placement in the 1/2. Then again I'll probably be so slow it won't matter.

After the two 1/2s I think I'm going to stick to lower distances. The longer ones stress me too much.

JMTStone
07-15-2015, 10:30 AM
You'll do great! I, however , am getting nervous about being ready for my first 1/2 at Cocoa Beach. I just can't get into a training rhythm. I'm also sad that my time for the 10K in Jan was so lousy because it really won't help me for the 2016 corral placement in the 1/2. Then again I'll probably be so slow it won't matter.

After the two 1/2s I think I'm going to stick to lower distances. The longer ones stress me too much.

Training for my first whole

AgentC
07-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Training for my first whole

I totally have faith in you. You rocked your 1/2 last year. You will be great!

JMTStone
07-16-2015, 02:59 PM
I totally have faith in you. You rocked your 1/2 last year. You will be great!

Just back on my feet Sunday after the surgery. I'm a week behind in training. But I will catch up. I'm using the Galloway training guide and sticking to kickboxing for X Training.

JMTStone
07-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Posted today on Facebook for my better half:
Dear Husband Jon Stone);
I'm putting this out on Facebook so everyone understands what pressure you're under right now, and you may need an alibi in the future. There are horrendous months are ahead of you. There are times where you'll feel like a single parent. There are times when you see your wife and/or won't recognize her. There are times where she will babble about things like "PR, negative splits, speed training, hill work" and even discuss bodily functions in a way you've never heard. There will be products in the house that just appear. Gu and hydration systems, and compression socks. She'll tell stories about Fleet Feet Sports - Pittsburgh runners she's gotten to know as close friends and you'll know at some point, she may likely have them wait for her while she either pees in the woods or finds a church to pee in during the Sunday runs. She'll worship Goddess Karen Harr. There will be cross training at Ilovekickboxing.com - Pittsburgh, PA (where the healthy lifestyle all began). She will be talking about ‪#‎runICOT‬ and ‪#‎cheerICOT‬. Now your wife has been running for some time. You've seen some of this before . But now its all changed. Your wife is training for a marathon. That's 26.2 miles. Until January, she won't be the same woman. Good luck. And remember I love you.

Yungbuck73
11-24-2015, 10:22 PM
So to kick start this thread, I may be out for the 10K AGAIN. I reinjured my stupid calf AGAIN. I called up and was told that since i already deferred the 10k from 2015 to 2016, i may not be able to defer again.
I am really bummed out. I will be there for all the races to cheer on all the other #runICOT friends.

GMRO
11-25-2015, 08:02 AM
So to kick start this thread, I may be out for the 10K AGAIN. I reinjured my stupid calf AGAIN. I called up and was told that since i already deferred the 10k from 2015 to 2016, i may not be able to defer again.
I am really bummed out. I will be there for all the races to cheer on all the other #runICOT friends.

Sorry to hear about your latest injury. Know you looked forward to this event. Hope you heal up well. AND I'm sure you'll still have run in the great company of the intercotteessss!

Take care...

brownie
12-19-2015, 03:13 PM
26 mile training run in today, longest distance I've ever run! Had a brutal headwind but made it through it.