PDA

View Full Version : Yachtsman or Flying Fish

southerngirl
02-18-2013, 10:20 AM
If you had to choose between the two, which one would you pick? I realize that the cuisines are totally different, but there is something on the menus of both that will appeal to everyone in my party. I just want to know which one is consistently better than the other.

SBETigg
02-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Flying Fish without a doubt. I'm not a fan of Yachtsman Steakhouse. The atmosphere at Yachtsman is nothing special. I've had terrible service. They've substituted cheaper ingredients for what was listed on the menu, or left things off entirely. I've had more consistently great food and service at Flying Fish.

Hammer
02-18-2013, 12:13 PM
I've eaten at Yachtsman twice and Flying Fish once. Unlike Sherri, I actually had better service at Yachtsman. On our second visit, the lobster bisque was way too salty and when our waiter came to ask about our appetizers we told him we really could not eat the soup. He immediately took the soups away and brought us a repalcement appetizer (wedge salads) at no cost. Other than the soup problem, our food has always be good and no unwanted substitutions.

When we ate at Flying Fish, our waiter basically ignored us in favor of the table of businessmen next to us. I realize those gentlemen had expense accounts, but we ordered a full meal for 2 (no sharing) and alcohol, so we were annoyed at how we were treated. The food was good, but I still prefer Narcoossee's for seafood.

KAT1811
02-18-2013, 12:25 PM
We love the Yachtsman Steakhouse. It is DH's favorite restaurant on property and we visit at least once a trip. We have always had excellent service and fabulous food. I like to make changes to the menu items and substitute the sides that they pair with the filet. Each and every time my changes are met with a smile and executed perfectly. On one trip we ate there on three separate evenings and loved it every time. Good luck choosing!

PlutoPlanet
02-18-2013, 09:25 PM
We ate at Yachtsman Steakhouse once and thought it was over priced and the service was below Disney standards. I'd go back to Flying Fish before Yachtsman Steakhouse again.

crazygoalie39
02-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Our experience at Yachtsman Steakhouse was fantastic, but I've heard mixed reviews. So, I would choose Flying Fish if you're worried about consistency.

WDWParrothead
02-19-2013, 08:00 PM
I've eaten at Yachtsman twice and Flying Fish once. Unlike Sherri, I actually had better service at Yachtsman. On our second visit, the lobster bisque was way too salty and when our waiter came to ask about our appetizers we told him we really could not eat the soup. He immediately took the soups away and brought us a repalcement appetizer (wedge salads) at no cost. Other than the soup problem, our food has always be good and no unwanted substitutions.

When we ate at Flying Fish, our waiter basically ignored us in favor of the table of businessmen next to us. I realize those gentlemen had expense accounts, but we ordered a full meal for 2 (no sharing) and alcohol, so we were annoyed at how we were treated. The food was good, but I still prefer Narcoossee's for seafood.

We had an identical experience at Flying Fish a few trips back. We ordered appetizers, entrees and drinks, so it wasn't like we popped in for a dessert to split. However, our waiter gave the royal treatment to a table of about 5 businessmen who were ordering quite a few rounds of drinks. Granted, a group with expense accounts are fairly commonplace in upscale restaurants during conventions, but the service we received was horrible by comparison. We were ignored, had to flag down other waiters to clear our dishes and refill our water glasses, and our waiter almost threw our bill on the table. Normally, I'd chalk it up to a bad night for our waiter, but he was all smiles and laughs for the table right next to us and must have checked on them over a dozen times. To top it all off, friends of ours had the same experience at FF very recently. I wonder if it was the same waiter?

Sorry for the venting, it just reminded me of a very frustrating experience. Never encountered this anywhere else in WDW. Suffice to say, we have been hesitant to go back to FF and instead have found we greatly enjoy Yachtsman.

Checkers
02-21-2013, 08:30 PM
We have eaten at both and prefer Yachtsman. Both times we ate at FF the service was just so-so and we were not impressed with our entrees either. We have never had a bad meal at Yachtsman and although we haven't been there for a few years we still prefer it over FF. However, our favorite is Narcoossee's at the GF.

Kairi_7378
02-21-2013, 10:44 PM
Of your two options, I'd give an edge to Flying Fish. But like Christine, I'd consider one of the other Signature locations such as Narcoossee or Artist's Point.

slottedpig
02-22-2013, 12:21 AM
My vote is Flying Fish. I thought it had a more interesting and varied menu. All of the big national steak chains ( Ruth Chris, Mortons, Capital Grille, Del Frisco, etc) are as good and probably better than Yachtsman and I can get them anywhere. If I wanted a high dollar steak at WDW I would go to Shulas.

southerngirl
02-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks for all of the replies! I think I'm going to go with Yachtsman. We already have reservations at Citricos for the first night, which I think is one of the best Signatures on property, so I think Yachtsman will be a nice addition.

beksy
02-24-2013, 04:48 PM
Good choice! I've never eaten at Flying Fish but we had some of the best steak I've ever eaten and wonderful service at Yachtsman. I would go early and take a walk around the water outside the resort (we found a photopass photographer and had one of the best pics from our trip taken there). We walk over from the International Gateway at Epcot and make it into a nice, relaxing evening.