PDA

View Full Version : World Showcase Segway tours cancelled?

dlpmikki
02-16-2013, 06:38 PM
Just seen a rumour that World Showcase segway tours are cancelled and folks with bookings being given their money back.

They were still going strong when we there last month (actually earlier this month too). Not sure if true or not or why it's happened if it has.

BrerGnat
02-16-2013, 07:01 PM
I heard a lady recently fell and suffered injuries. Not sure if that is the reason for this or just a coincidence. That's too bad. Hopefully it's only temporary.

Melanie
02-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Didn't they just start offering a new option? That's too bad if they're cancelled. It's been a staple in the WS for years.

Strmchsr
02-16-2013, 07:26 PM
Yeah, it's officially canceled, though it seems the one at Ft Wilderness is still available. It seems a little strange that if it were a safety concern that they would only cancel Epcot.

DizneyRox
02-16-2013, 07:27 PM
And I'd say one of the better tours offered...

VWL Mom
02-16-2013, 07:52 PM
Not sure how much truth there is to this but I read that the Tour is being cancelled because with the bakery is open at 9AM there is too much foot traffic in WS in the morning to have Segways zipping around. DH loved this tour and was going to take DS16 in June, I hope they reconsider.

disneydeb
02-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Oh, this really stinks! I LOVED this tour and I was looking forward to doing it again in October!!

Hammer
02-17-2013, 12:38 AM
Yeah, it's officially canceled, though it seems the one at Ft Wilderness is still available. It seems a little strange that if it were a safety concern that they would only cancel Epcot.

Not sure how much truth there is to this but I read that the Tour is being cancelled because with the bakery is open at 9AM there is too much foot traffic in WS in the morning to have Segways zipping around. DH loved this tour and was going to take DS16 in June, I hope they reconsider.

If the rumor Lynn read is true, I can see where Disney is coming from. From all reports, the early hours for the bakery in France are a huge success, so there are many people to deal with for the Segway tour participants in World Showcase. No such issue with Fort Wilderness Segway tour.

How long was the tour? Maybe they could start it at 7:00 and have the tour end in time for the 9AM opening of the bakery?

VWL Mom
02-17-2013, 08:36 AM
How long was the tour? Maybe they could start it at 7:00 and have the tour end in time for the 9AM opening of the bakery?

I think it was three hours including instruction, paperwork, and breakfast.

FLKatie912
02-17-2013, 11:08 AM
The tour was just recently updated so I am super bummed to hear this as I wanted to try to new one. I haven't heard of the woman falling, but I imagine if that's true that's why since Disney has such a huge focus on safety. There were multiple time opinions for the tours, so I imagine that that is why they could not switch the times. I am also wondering if they are making more at the bakery than they were on the Segway tours that it warranted not finding a better solution to allow the tour to continue. OR maybe they are just checking all safety procedures and we will all be able to try again soon. :)

Caroleh
02-17-2013, 11:42 AM
This stinks because I wanted to try it in Oct. I hope they find a solution by then.

DreamFinder2
02-17-2013, 02:44 PM
We were booked for March 18. After reading this thread, I called this morning and yep...cancelled. I was offered a refund, but nothing else by the tour reservations CM. I was given an Epcot Guest Relations phone number to call for additional information. No reason for cancelling them was given.

beksy
02-21-2013, 10:28 PM
This stinks! I was hoping to try it in November for a little "me" time away from the family :(

MargaretMessler
02-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Bummer! :( I was looking forward to trying this with a friend in September, hoping they fin a way to re-implement it, though I totally get safety concerns. Since the bakery is the only thing in WS open that early, maybe they could figure out a way to "rope off" a route separate from where the Segway tour would pass.

Dixie Springs
03-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Though it isn't public knowledge, Disney is cancelling this activity due to heckling guests (including senior citizens and children), who claim the Segway pilots "look dorky" and "ruin the Epcot experience". ;)