PDA

View Full Version : Dinking 'Round the World - Day 4

DisneyDINK
02-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Day 4 – Tuesday, 2/12/2013 – DHS Day and MK Night

We did breakfast in the room (see days 2 & 3) and then walked to DHS for rope drop. The CM at the gate tried to fill us in about our paper APs. He said we would be notified through the mail about exchanging them for whatever the permanent solution would be. He said we would eventually wind up with either a wristband or something akin to the KTTW cards. Obviously either would comply with the RF (or whatever) technology they are in the process of switching to at the gates, gift shops and QS restaurants. Right now, some of the gates have the new glowing Mickey balls others don’t. No worries, I’ll just deal.

We went straight for TSM, got the FPs and then went to RnR. This was going to be the truest test for my Coaster Convert wife. Would she buckle under the pressure? Could she handle it! Well, yes. She did it and said she was ready to go again; this time she would even open her eyes. “Why did you close your eyes?” “Because you said it was in the dark!” “It’s not pitch black, it is just dark. You can see stuff!” “Oh, I’ll open my eyes next time.” And she did, and she STILL liked it. It is now her favorite ride at WDW! Then we did ToT and… well… that just freaked her out. She didn’t like, relapse, or anything like that, but she said the falling sensation was a bit off-putting. I chronicled most of these rides with my camera the best I could. Me, DW and her parents are going to sit down at my favorite German tavern and watch them on my laptop this weekend. Good times! Anyhow…

We did some stuff: Muppets 3D, Star Tours (first time on the new one; I like it a LOT better than the old one which gave me motion sickness a bit.), Great Movie Ride (maybe they should just call that one the Movie Ride?).

Lunch was yet another new experience, the 50’s Prime Time Café. I really liked the entrance/bar area as it really looked very 50’s loungey. The food was pretty good. The service was fine except DW took the server’s act a bit too seriously; she felt pressured by the waitress saying “Hurry up, I haven’t got all day!” and wound up ordering something she didn’t want before she had read the menu. Oh well. The glowing drinks and the S’mores for desert made up for it.

I made an effort to get out of the park reasonably early. At about 1:30 we took an nice easy boat ride back to the YC and again had some easy pool time. (aaaaaah! (OK – one or two rides on the waterslide, but otherwise, aaaaaah!)

After maybe an hour at the pool we went back to the room (, did some prefunctioning) and then took a cab to Citrico’s for dinner. After bidding our Filipino cabbie “Magandang gabi!” we walked over to Citrico’s. From previous trips I have learned to take a cab once or twice each trip. It is especially a good idea when going from one resort to another; the ride can take 20 minutes or about an hour and 15 minutes. For me the choice is obvious and the $20 (tip included) I gave the drive was money well spent.

Citrico’s was a very pleasant dining experience. I had the pork 2 ways and DW had one of the better vegetarian offerings in any of the parks, kind of a tofu and veggie cut to be pasta sort of affair with a nice sauce. I’m not a vegetarian or vegan, but I do some cooking like this at home just to be a bit more healthy. I had a couple of bites and it was really good. Again, TIW card – diggin’ it!

The DVC thingy is coming along pretty well at the GF. The quiet pool in the middle there is under construction; if you know when either will be done, please comment. I would like to stay here this December, but I’d really like it if at least the pool was complete.

We then took our only Monorail ride of the trip and then we spent some time in the MK. We took in Wishes together and bought some flip-flops for my niece back in SD (The state, not the city). After a couple of Dole Whips we did the Tiki Room. I’m glad I did because I realized I had never seen the original MK preshow. I know the Disneyland one by heart, but I think the only time I ever saw the Tropical Serenade show back in the 80’s was when the doors were open and I just walked right past the preshow. I liked it. I’m surprised I hadn’t ever heard it on internet radio somewhere.

At about 9:30pm we took a bus ride back to the YC to rest up for our last day.

January-2007
02-16-2013, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the trip report.

faline
02-19-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm impressed - your wife likes Rock and Roller Coaster?!! I can do it but once per trip is good for me!! On the other hand, I can do multiple go-rounds on Tower of Terror!!

hauntedmansiongirl
02-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Pat on the back for your DW! Everything is much more fun if you can share the experience!

:smickey:

DisneyDINK
02-21-2013, 11:35 AM
I'm impressed - your wife likes Rock and Roller Coaster?!! I can do it but once per trip is good for me!! On the other hand, I can do multiple go-rounds on Tower of Terror!!

She has a fear of heights, so any traditional coaster is really more of a problem for her; you know, when you go up the long chain. Plus RnR happens in the dark, so that helped her out too.

I told her she didn't have to do ToT; I knew it would not be an easy one for her but she wanted to try it. I'm super-proud that she did. I took a video, not of the ride per se, but I just aimed the camera at her to get her reaction to the drops. (Yes, it sounds odd and cruel, but it really wasn't.) We watched it when we got home and had a really good laugh. She loves that video!

Pat on the back for your DW! Everything is much more fun if you can share the experience!

Absolutely. WDW is a LOT more fun for her now.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-21-2013, 01:51 PM
I'm not a coaster person either, your wife is doing great.

Dopey's Girl
02-22-2013, 02:39 PM
Congrats to your DW for overcoming so many of her fears and learning to love so many of the more thrilling rides! That's awesome! :thumbsup:

emerzmom
02-22-2013, 04:43 PM
I remember when I was so scared to ride RnR and now this is my favorite ride too. I am not thrilled about the drop on ToT either but I ride it for my DD.
What a great trip you guys had!
:tink:
Julie

vizsla
02-24-2013, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the report.

pdrlkr
02-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

buzznwoodysmom
02-26-2013, 03:36 PM
So glad your wife is loving all these new (for her) rides.

tinksmom02
04-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Great trip reports! I'm loving the term "pre-functioning" much better than mine: "saving money" LOL