PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for special things to do

Jen1984
02-15-2013, 02:24 PM
I'm looking for ideas for things to do to make the last two days of my August trip extra special. We are travelling for 2 weeks, 12 nights of which we are staying on International Drive, but as mentioned on a previous thread as a surprise (and with a very kind DVC member's help) I've booked our last 2 nights in a 2 bedroom Villa at AKL.

I'm sure that will be exciting enough, but looking for a couple of extras! I'm thinking of booking Boma for breakfast the day we check in to show the hotel off, but what else would you recommend?

We will probably have spent at least 1 or 2 days at each park by then, so making sure we see everything isn't a huge issue. I guess the question is what would you do to make your trip extra special?

So far I've just booked Ohana for our second night in Orlando, and am on the cusp of 180 days now, so need to get my thinking cap on!

beksy
02-15-2013, 03:01 PM
On the last two trips we've rented a pontoon boat (once at DTD and once at Poly) for an hour. We had a great time! I loved the Poly experience since we got to see the MK resort area from a new point of view. It was also very relaxing. We are making it a tradition to do this each trip.

eeyoremom
02-16-2013, 10:09 AM
We love renting boats!!!! If you rent near MK, you can see much of the castle, etc. from your boat. If you rent on the river, or Downtown, you can feel very alone in the middle of disney. We rent most trips, and the family thing now is to call it a captain (whoever drove last) boat. We argue at home who's boat it is. Have fun whatever you do and take some time to relax.

Jen1984
02-16-2013, 10:34 AM
That sounds like a great idea! Thank you both, I wouldn't have thought of that! Any idea of a rough cost for 4 people to do that?

eeyoremom
02-16-2013, 12:01 PM
If you are renting a pontoon, it is by the boat, not the person. I think $40-$50 per half hour. There are also water mice, which only fit 2 at most. and canopy boats. Everything is priced differently. We like the canopy boats -not a lot of difference in money than a pontoon. Most of the people working the marinas are very generous with the check out times Have fun!

hauntedmansiongirl
02-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Another fun thing is to do the mini golfing. Winter Summerland is really fun and great for all ages!

If you have more adults, checking out Jellyrolls dueling piano bar at the Boardwalk is fun. If you have kids with you,Yehaa Bob at Port Orleans Riverside is a great night out. He gets everyone in the bar going! He is there Wed-Sat 8pm-11pm.

Oh, and don't forget to check out the animals in the AKL Savannah with the night vision goggles. S much fun! Get there at least 10 minutes before the posted time or you'll end up waiting a long time.

There is also campfires and outside movies every night. :mickey:

epceddie
02-19-2013, 05:06 PM
We love doing the Pirates and Pals Fireworks Voyage from the Contemporary. It's about $60 a person and you get a drink/snack reception and photo opps with Captain Hook and Mr. Smee before you leave. They take you out onto Seven Seas Lagoon and park with a view of the Castle for Wishes, with the music piped onto the boat. The tour is led by a pirate guide who makes everyone feel welcome and when you get back to the dock, Peter Pan is waiting for more photos.
We did this one night in January when it was 37 degrees out and they gave everyone blankets and hot chocolate. It was a little chilly, but we still had a great time.
It's a great way to get out on the water and take in Wishes from a different perspective.
Have a great trip!

vamaggie
02-19-2013, 06:05 PM
We love doing the Pirates and Pals Fireworks Voyage from the Contemporary.

WHere can I find out more information about this? Sounds like a lot of fun and a different way to see the fireworks.

faline
02-19-2013, 07:12 PM
WHere can I find out more information about this? Sounds like a lot of fun and a different way to see the fireworks.

You can find more information here (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/contemporary-resort/pirates-and-pals-fireworks-voyage/).

disneygoofball
02-22-2013, 05:34 AM
If you have the money, Sammy Duvall's has some fun activities on Bay Lake. We've done the parasailing and wakeboarding there.

Another fun idea is seeing what the different resorts have to offer. My personal favorite is taking a boat from PO to DD at night - it's beautiful and relaxing. The geyser at WL is also kind of a fun thing to do, especially if you have kids that would be into that sort of thing.

vamaggie
02-22-2013, 07:52 AM
You can find more information here (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/contemporary-resort/pirates-and-pals-fireworks-voyage/).

Perfect! THANKS!! :thumbsup: I'm assuming that you can reserve in advance?

faline
02-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Perfect! THANKS!! :thumbsup: I'm assuming that you can reserve in advance?

I would recommend making an advance reservation if this something you want to do.