PDA

View Full Version : Train,drive , or fly???

tink03
02-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Ok I am sure you all have been asked this a dozen or so times but here goes. We are thinking of taking the train this Aug for Disney. It will be 3 adults and 3 kids. Any ideas on cleanliness and leg room. We will be on board for 21 hours. We will not be getting a room either. Flying is so much this year. Driving we would have to cramp in a Jeep Commander for 20 hours. Are we nuts? Has anyone else done this? :confused:

mechanic
02-14-2013, 07:53 PM
I think train would be very comfortable and relaxing. For 20 hours I might want a compartment though. It might not be much cheaper than flying.

CanadianWDWFan
02-14-2013, 08:04 PM
Ever think about the Autotrain? Put your car on the train and sit and relax for the 17 hour ride down. We did this last summer and enjoyed the experience. Here is our report (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=193774) of our trip down.

We had to get two rooms to fit us all four of us in. It was an added cost for the sleeper rooms, but it is also doable in coach seating. The seats are bigger than aircraft business class seating with more leg room.

DizneyRox
02-14-2013, 08:22 PM
Whatever takes less time for me; time is money and my time is expensive...

I've thought about driving, but then it hits me. 20+ hours in a car, or three hours on a plane. Train never even occurred to me. I'm sure there's a train station around here somewhere, but it's not an appealing mode of transportation to me...

MargaretMessler
02-14-2013, 08:28 PM
I've only ridden the train for trips of 3-4 hours, it was very comfortable, but I think for a 21 hour trip I would definitely want a cabin/room. However, with so many people, it might still be financially an advantage versus flying.

chefmickey3
02-14-2013, 08:40 PM
We prefer to drive from PA. Have looked at the train but same cost for us as flying. We save so much money driving with three kids. Pay for a hotel room in the money we save in water alone. We have time so the longer travel time is part of the adventure. My kids have learned geography first hand. We do stay for two weeks when we drive incuding some beach time. I think it is personal preference but we have driven 9 years in a row and wouldn't do it any other way!

BigRedDad
02-15-2013, 08:04 AM
Train: No need to worry about driving, cost is favorable, but for it to be comfortable, you must have a room which is 2-3x of flying. There is the added cost to get to the resort.

Flying: Still expensive, fast, and free transfer to the resort. If I can get round trip tickets for ~$200 each, I consider flying.

Driving: Only costs about $200 tops round trip. I have to do all the driving. I can bring anything I want/need. It is about 10 hours each way. This will be our mode of transportation most visits after this one.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-15-2013, 08:42 AM
We're train people. We always take the AutoTrain to Disney, and have taken the train on many smaller trips.

For us it is the compromise between a long drive (which is more stressful, and we show up fairly wiped out) and flying (which I hate, and it is expensive).

We do get rooms, so we get a proper sleep, but many, many people report that coach seats are just fine, and that they've done the coach trip many times.

So, I would say that the train is a super option.

c&d
02-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Like others we have done the auto train in a room and really enjoyed it. DH and I have also done the train RT across country without a room and it was comfortable.

If I had the time I would take the train.

Donald Duck
02-15-2013, 09:48 AM
I've done all three. I prefer driving. I'm on Long Island so it's a little closer to WDW for you being in South Jersey.

We have taken the Auto Train many times. It leaves from Lorton, VA (just south of DC) and arrives in Sanford, FL about 30 mins North of WDW.
We have always gotten a family room on the Auto train which is expensive. We are a family of 4 not 6. 6 people can't fit in 1 room on the Auto train. You would have to get a family room (sleeps 4) and a small room (sleeps 2). That's going to be very expensive. The Auto train isn't cheap. It save you a lot of driving and is relaxing.

If you drove from Jersey, you could drive half way down and stay at a hotel overnight then drive straight to Disney the next day.
I prefer driving because it's a lot cheaper than flying and the train and you have your own car in WDW and you are in control of you trip the whole time. You don't have to worry about delays at the airport or on the Auto train.

Donal Duck

PETE FROM NYC
02-15-2013, 05:15 PM
DW and I have flown over a dozen times. Last 3 trips I did the driving. We are both retired so our time is our time. We are both handicapped using ECVs. I transport both ECVs. We take 2 1/2 days to drive without killing ourselves. We carry a fully stocked cooler with us. We stop for gas, to eat, toilet stops and to overnight.

vamaggie
02-16-2013, 09:55 AM
We priced out the auto train and it was a lot more than flying for us-and flying is usually not cheap since we have to go on school holidays. We usually fly to FLA since we are time limited too (again school holidays). I would look at the cost to drive if you have the time to break it into 2 days, especially if you have 3 drivers. I have not done a train ride longer than 4 hours so not sure how I 9or my kids for that mater) would be with being on a train for 21 hours and if they would be able to sleep well w/o a room. Good luck with your decision and have a great trip however you get there!!!

Janmac
02-16-2013, 10:47 AM
It is quite possible to be comfortable on the train in coach. There are threads about this but I'm not techno enough to link 'em. You could search for the threads. One family with 2 teen boys recently (last fall?) had a positive experience. They wrote a trip report.

The train seats recline some - but not as much as a recliner - and have a lot of leg room.

Train travel is not for type A folks who have to be there now. Delays are possible.

We like to think of it as a land cruise. I always bring plenty of books and wind up looking out the window more than reading.

Bring snacks. Bring sandwiches. The dining car is likely to be difficult to get into, and many folks feel the prices are high. The snack car is where we recently (April 2012) got most of our food from. It'll fill a hole. We also bring water.

Bring a blanket. While sleeping (fitfully? :D) you can get chilly. My niece brings an eye mask and my sister brings ear plugs. Some folks bring full size pillows. I bring the neck pillow (shaped like a C.)

You may want to bring some slip on shoes for moving about the train. Some folks bring disposable booties to cover their shoes while in the bathroom. Sometimes the floor of the bathroom can become wet. :(

Practically everyone brings electronics and watches movies. There should be a couple of electrical outlets at every pair of seats.

Recommend getting off in Kissimmee. The station is just as close to Disney as Orlando and not as creepy seeming.

You will need a car service to get to Disney. The Intercot sponsor will not come and get you in Kissimmee.

My 8 year old grandniece just recommended I put this :cloud9: as her opinion of taking the train to Disney.

Jan

barnaby
02-16-2013, 08:01 PM
We drive from South Jersey, about an 18 hour trip for us. But it is 2 adults, 2 kids, one "kid" is 18 though.
I think 4 is about the max though. I don't fly unless completely necessarry, and we priced out the Autotrain and was a bit expensive. Never looked in just a regular train trip.

DisneyDINK
02-16-2013, 09:01 PM
I worked for Amtrak for 12 years, but I left about 7 years ago. Granted it was on the west coast, but the equipment is pretty much the same.

The long distance equipment (AmFleet, Horizon, SuperLiner, etc.) has good legroom in coach. The seats are roomy and reasonably comfortable, but I don't think you'll sleep that well. Getting a good night sleep in a Standard Bedroom is not even a guarentee; trains move, make noises, start, stop, etc. Some people can sleep on planes, on trains, in cars or anywhere. What kind of people are you?

If time is not an issue, by all means, travel coach down to ORL. If you get there in the evening it is probably fine; you'll spend a night in a hotel and then be fresh for the parks the next morning. If the train arrives in the morning and you want to hit the parks right away... maybe not such a good idea.

Honestly, I wish I could take the train more. Rox is right - who has the time?