PDA

View Full Version : International drivers license for Florida

Caroleh
02-14-2013, 07:54 AM
I can't believe what I just heard on the news...the State of Florida is requiring Canadians to get an International drivers license to be able to drive in Florida. I can drive in every other state except Florida:shake: Funny thing is that I am from the US, I learned to drive in the US and now that I live in Canada I need to buy a special license to drive in just one state. I think when we are on vacation, we spend enough money to help out a state that needs the money without needing a drivers license for that state. End of rant.:blush:

kbean
02-14-2013, 08:39 AM
That's to help cut back on the slow Canadian drivers that get in our way.

Melanie
02-14-2013, 08:46 AM

:confused:

I lived in Tampa for 3 years and never once recall thinking "Boy, that car with the Ontario plates sure is slow. Wish he'd get out of my way." :shrug:

This is interesting though. What were the official reasons given?

ETA: I see now that officials are trying to get Canadians exempt. So this is for all international drivers?

DizneyRox
02-14-2013, 09:32 AM
I'm sure Disney is behind this as a way to get and keep people on property, just like ME.

Seriously, having done my share of driving in Florida, the large portion of tourist drivers really is a problem. People just don't know where they are going. If this cuts down on some of the dangerous behavior I've seen, good for them. There shouldn't be any exceptions though, if that's the case. In fact, targeting out of state drivers wouldn't be so bad, especially those Vermont drivers.. You know what I'm talking about if you've ever been behind one.

Mickey'sGirl
02-14-2013, 09:48 AM
It isn't a license, it's a permit. All you need to do it go to CAA and purchase one for about $25. You will not need to be retested etc. It's more of a translation of your legal driver's license into many languages, so that it can be read and understood by international authorities if needed. It is not a training related document.

Cheshire_Girl
02-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Seriously, having done my share of driving in Florida, the large portion of tourist drivers really is a problem. People just don't know where they are going. If this cuts down on some of the dangerous behavior I've seen, good for them. There shouldn't be any exceptions though, if that's the case. In fact, targeting out of state drivers wouldn't be so bad, especially those Vermont drivers.. You know what I'm talking about if you've ever been behind one.

As someone who lives in and so drives in FL everyday..the amount of tourist drivers is a real problem here. I understand that I live in a state that depends on tourist dollars, however I don't think that asking them to have a DL that is easier for law enforcement to read/track/get info from if needed is unreasonable. No matter where they are from.

Mickey'sGirl
02-14-2013, 10:45 AM
As someone who lives in and so drives in FL everyday..the amount of tourist drivers is a real problem here. I understand that I live in a state that depends on tourist dollars, however I don't think that asking them to have a DL that is easier for law enforcement to read/track/get info from if needed is unreasonable. No matter where they are from.
I agree ... AND it's not like the fee is going to Florida, it is paid to the juristiction of issue.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-14-2013, 11:24 AM
I hope they get the exception sorted out ASAP.

Although I agree with it for non-english liscenses, it seems like a crazy extra step for an english drivers liscence that is "good enough" for every other state!

Oh well, another jurisdiction can do what they want, and we have to follow their rules.

CanadianWDWFan
02-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Just talking to my parents who winter in Florida, they and everyone the know knew nothing about this. After a bit of digging they found that there is a grace period until the State looks into exceptions some time in March. It is definitely something to do with non-English language permits.

You obviously haven't seen them drive back home! :D

MNNHFLTX
02-14-2013, 01:44 PM
Is this the same International Driver's permit that is accepted in other countries? My husband just had to get one to be able to drive in France for our vacation. I think it's becoming the standard in other countries, but it's interesting that Florida is the first individual state to say they are going to require it. Could be the high number of tourists and snowbirds (from Canada, in particular) prompting the issue.

Melanie
02-14-2013, 01:52 PM
There are bad drivers everywhere. Trust me, it's much worse here where I live now as opposed to Florida. Much.

Dopey's Girl
02-14-2013, 03:41 PM
There are bad drivers everywhere. Trust me, it's much worse here where I live now as opposed to Florida. Much.

I have driven in the DC area Mel...NEVER AGAIN! I have never wanted to close my eyes while driving until I was there.

Caroleh
02-14-2013, 07:20 PM
This year is the first year we have decided to drive, it's funny how many states I can drive through, but I need I permit for Florida. The $25 for the permit isn't an issue, but is it just the $25 per car or per driver? That could mean $50 for my DH And I, which I could use on my vacation, since we're going other places besides WDW. If Florida doesn't want me driving in their state, I can take my money someplace else. I think California would be more then happy to take it.

Like I said before, I am an American, but because my drivers license is Canadian I need a permit...what is wrong with this picture?

The DH has been studying this and it may be against not only the US Federal law, but also the Geneva convention on international traffic.

Cheshire_Girl
02-14-2013, 07:41 PM
Like I said before, I am an American, but because my drivers license is Canadian I need a permit...what is wrong with this picture?

The DH has been studying this and it may be against not only the US Federal law, but also the Geneva convention on international traffic.

You don't have an American Drivers license, that's what's wrong. Why does everyone who doesn't live in the USA think they should be entitled to all of our rights and privileges when they are here?
If you do not have a drivers license that is in our systems that makes you harder to trace if you commit a crime (not saying you are a criminal Carol, just making a point here) or, God forbid, you are a victim of a crime.
It is not unreasonable in any way and EVERY state should require it if you do not have a US Issued license. Plain and simple...and last I checked, Canada was not a part of the United States, it just borders us...

CanadianWDWFan
02-14-2013, 07:53 PM
From CBC website:

"The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles issued a statement detailing that the new statute may be in violation of the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic and therefore the Florida Highway Patrol (FHP) will defer enforcement of violations of the amended statutory section.

The Florida law was passed so police would not be faced with licence documents in languages they could not understand. "

It is not a question of the validity of foreign license, it is so Florida law enforcement can read the licence.

Caroleh
02-14-2013, 08:09 PM
You don't have an American Drivers license, that's what's wrong. Why does everyone who doesn't live in the USA think they should be entitled to all of our rights and privileges when they are here? .

Just for your information....not everyone that doesn't live in the US thinks that they are entitled to all of your rights and privileges. Personally, I prefer my Canadian rights. BTW, I am an American citizen and I do have all the rights. I lived in the US for most of my life.

Goofy4TheWorld
02-14-2013, 09:28 PM
My instinct is that it violates the Full Faith and Credit clause and probably a treaty or two. States can't regulate driving where every state has to give you permision to drive. I am sure being international complicates the law some but the Constitution expressly restricts the States from limiting commerce using border barriers like this.

Altair
02-14-2013, 09:44 PM
I imagine this was pushed by the rental care industry and the target was not Canadians.:twocents:

Caroleh
02-14-2013, 09:49 PM
I imagine this was pushed by the rental care industry and the target was not Canadians.:twocents:

The car rental agencies didn't know about it...it was somebody that had a rental car that broke down and a police officer asked for his international license. The guy didn't know what the police officer was talking about and neither did the rental car company. The law took effect on Jan 1 and we're just learning about it now.

MNNHFLTX
02-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Just for your information....not everyone that doesn't live in the US thinks that they are entitled to all of your rights and privileges. Personally, I prefer my Canadian rights. BTW, I am an American citizen and I do have all the rights. I lived in the US for most of my life.
I'm sincerely ignorant here, as I have only lived in the U.S. How does this work? If you live in Canada long enough, don't you have to apply for citizenship there? Who do you pay taxes to? Sorry for sounding nosy--I am truly curious about the answer.

And sorry for going :offtopic:

Caroleh
02-15-2013, 06:57 AM
I'm sincerely ignorant here, as I have only lived in the U.S. How does this work? If you live in Canada long enough, don't you have to apply for citizenship there? Who do you pay taxes to? Sorry for sounding nosy--I am truly curious about the answer.

And sorry for going :offtopic:

I have duel citizenship...which means I am both American and Canadian. You have to become a landed immigrant first, but you don't have to become a citizen, for example my boss has been a landed immigrant for 20+ years and after the 5 years required by law I applied for and became a Canadian citizen. The American Embassy up here actually advised me to become a dual citizen..it makes things a lot easier and I keep all my US rights and gain the Canadian rights. Since I do not have a US address I cannot vote in the US, but I can in Canada..that's really the only thing that changes. As for taxes, I pay taxes in Canada and I file taxes in the US, but I don't have to pay because I don't make enough.

Your not being nosy, just curious. If there's anything else, just ask...I love helping people learn new things!!

garymacd
02-21-2013, 03:10 PM
Any Canadian driving in Florida in the next little while should check with their insurance company to see if they would be covered in case of a motor vehicle collision. Since the law is in place, an insurance company could state that you are not covered because you were not in compliance with that law.

I heard that on the radio the other day. Just passing it on. I am going to get one regardless of the outcome of the legislature's findings, just to be on the safe side for our trip this year. It's only $25 (plus the cost of passport pictures) and it will cover me in whatever country I go to.

I just read about getting the IDP in Canada.

It is only available from the CAA either in person or by mail.
It must be used in conjunction with your valid government issued driver's permit.
It will reflect your current driver's certification, restrictions and endorsements (vehicle class, air brakes, prescription lenses etc.)
It is only good for one year from the date of issue.
You cannot get one with a learner's permit, provisional permit or a suspended license.
If you go in person to get it, it can be ready for you in about 15 minutes (minus line-up wait times, of course).

Ed
02-24-2013, 07:49 AM
A recent article in the Orlando Sentinel (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-international-driving-permit-orlando-20130215,0,3666462.story)explains the reasoning behind the law and efforts to modify or overturn it.

The rule originated as a way to help law enforcement officials who encountered driver's licenses from other countries with information on them not written in English. Imagine the difficulty when a Florida police officer is handed a driver's license printed in Arabic, Chinese, Russian or any number of other languages.

Katzateer
02-24-2013, 08:40 AM
I have driven in the DC area Mel...NEVER AGAIN! I have never wanted to close my eyes while driving until I was there.

My husband said we will NEVER drive to DC again. About as close as he will go is BWI!