PDA

View Full Version : Don Cesar Hotel at St. Pete FL

DVC2004
02-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Has anyone stayed here? I know Loews owns and operates it now and I just wanted to see if anyone can tell me about it. Any info welcome. Thank you!

Dopey's Girl
02-13-2013, 02:42 PM
I haven't stayed there, but have stayed in the area many times. We call it the Pink Nightmare...it's an interesting shade of pink.

My parents once booked a stay there, but ended up canceling it. When mom got the confirmation, it was covered in added expenses that weren't in the quote. From newspaper delivery to parking (which are more common) to a fee for using the beach, or other hotel amenities. It added a lot to an already expensive room.

They opted to rent privately owned condos. We have stayed in some very nice places, for far less money!

Melanie
02-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Haven't stayed there, but my hubby and I went a few years ago just to walk around and check it out and we weren't impressed. We couldn't even find a restaurant on property that we felt comfortable stopping and having a meal. The pool area looked nice, but not that large. And when I think of hotels like that, I think of grand lobbies. Nope, not this one. The check in area was basically just a couple small desks in a regular size room.

Not at all what we expected, but again, we didn't stay there so it could be a wonderful experience.

DVC2004
02-13-2013, 03:12 PM
Ugh! Hate the hidden charges. A fee to use the beach? That's terrible. At the price of the rooms that should be given. I mean really, you go to a oceanfront resort to presumably use the beach!

I have not seen it with my own eyes- lol- only on the internet and I agree the pink was not attractive. I liked the location and some of the amenities Loews offers but may but not so much with this one.

Thanks for the info all!

Dopey's Girl
02-13-2013, 04:11 PM
Ugh! Hate the hidden charges. A fee to use the beach? That's terrible. At the price of the rooms that should be given. I mean really, you go to a oceanfront resort to presumably use the beach!

I have not seen it with my own eyes- lol- only on the internet and I agree the pink was not attractive. I liked the location and some of the amenities Loews offers but may but not so much with this one.

Thanks for the info all!

I just booked a really cute little place further up the beach in Indian Shores (it's north of St Pete, but south of Clearwater). It's a town I really love staying in...great beaches, wonderful food and lots to see and do. If you don't mind not being in St Pete, I can send you a link to their website!

DVC2004
02-13-2013, 04:18 PM
I just booked a really cute little place further up the beach in Indian Shores (it's north of St Pete, but south of Clearwater). It's a town I really love staying in...great beaches, wonderful food and lots to see and do. If you don't mind not being in St Pete, I can send you a link to their website!

Thanks, I will take a look! I would love if you could send the link. We aren't sure yet the plan but thinking of going in April sometime. Husband wanted to spend a couple days away from Orlando relaxing on the gulf side so I was just looking at options. I looked at Don because it's Loews and we really enjoy their resorts at Universal, so I thought it might be good but I don't like what I am hearing/reading so far.

Thanks!

Dopey's Girl
02-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks, I will take a look! I would love if you could send the link. We aren't sure yet the plan but thinking of going in April sometime. Husband wanted to spend a couple days away from Orlando relaxing on the gulf side so I was just looking at options. I looked at Don because it's Loews and we really enjoy their resorts at Universal, so I thought it might be good but I don't like what I am hearing/reading so far.

Thanks!

I sent you a PM!

disney obsessed
02-14-2013, 12:06 PM
If you are going to St Pete Beach, go to Verduccis for supper.

Mmmmmmmmm verducciiiiiissss.....

Cheshire_Girl
02-14-2013, 02:50 PM
I work on St Pete beach, about a mile from the Don..yes it is a pink nightmare...I live about 5 miles up the beach in Reddington (Close to Indian Shores, someone here mentioned it.)
I have never stayed at the Don, however I love this area. I would probably opt to stay at the other end of the beach-toward Indian Shores, however I will say-this is the place I call home and I love it.It's touristy, and filled with bars and beach food...but it's still awesome!
The Don will give you easy access to the highway if you are headed out on adventures. The stretch of beach it sits on is nice and well groomed. And I think there are some good food options. Agave's is awesome! Best authentic civeache style fish tacos around!

Dopey's Girl
02-14-2013, 03:39 PM
I work on St Pete beach, about a mile from the Don..yes it is a pink nightmare...I live about 5 miles up the beach in Reddington (Close to Indian Shores, someone here mentioned it.)
I have never stayed at the Don, however I love this area. I would probably opt to stay at the other end of the beach-toward Indian Shores, however I will say-this is the place I call home and I love it.It's touristy, and filled with bars and beach food...but it's still awesome!
The Don will give you easy access to the highway if you are headed out on adventures. The stretch of beach it sits on is nice and well groomed. And I think there are some good food options. Agave's is awesome! Best authentic civeache style fish tacos around!

I'm so jealous! Reddington is Awesome!!! Agave's is yummy. I'm also partial to Kenny's for breakfast...Can't wait for April to come visit your little slice of Heaven!

Hammer
02-18-2013, 12:32 PM
Sorry, just saw this post. I'm originally from the area and I've had many relatives stay there attending functions being held there. No one was that impressed. It used to be much nicer prior to being sold. I have great memories from childhood going to the ice cream place that used to be there (I think it was called Hillary's). The rooms are small!

If you want to stay at a hotel on St. Pete Beach, I recommend either Tradewinds resort. Yes, there is a resort fee (I think it is $25 a night) but that fee includes daily use of your own cabana on the beach, which has 2 chaise lounges with nice cushions which the attendants get for you. All the other resorts charge you a seperate fee for cabana rental and still charge a resort fee on top of that.

If you want to rent a place, I agree Indian Shores is nice, but I prefer Indian Rocks (right next door). We rent a place right on the Gulf, across from Guppy's restaurant.

SAH
03-28-2013, 02:45 PM
The place as I remember it was always called "the Pink Palace". Used to go down there 3 - 4 times a year (on business trips) A beautiful grand place to see . Yes the rooms are small but back in its hey day it was the place to stay at, It was the place of stars and celebrities...(babe ruth era) Its still beautiful but very $$$$..Plenty of other hotels along the strip to stay at.....:mickey: