PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to Braves Spring Training Game at Disney's Wide World of Sports

jillluvsdisney
02-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Just curious.

We will be going to a game on March 1rst.
Just wondering if anyone has done this and can tell me what the place is like. How's the parking and concessions? Has anyone tried the All Star Cafe?

Melanie
02-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Yes, and yes, and yes. ;)

Living in Florida the last three years and being huge baseball fans, we went to many a spring training game....Yankees, Tigers, Astros, Pirates and Braves. I'm not just saying this because I'm a Braves fan, but Champion Stadium was by far my favorite. Maybe it's the combo of Disney and the Braves, but it's a great little park to see a game. It's compact and intimate. I'm going to miss not going this year. :(

Anyway, parking at Wide World of Sports is usually easy. If there are other events going on (cheer, soccer, etc), be sure to get there early. There is plenty of parking out there though.

We've eaten at All Star Cafe many times. Although the food is not earth shattering, it's good and the cafe itself is a cute little place to eat and burn some time. Actually, this is where the whole Be Our Guest concept of ordering your meal, getting a tracker and sitting down to wait for your meal to be delivered, was first used. It would be smart to get there early, eat, then make your way into the stadium for the game.

Enjoy! :bball:

green ranger
02-12-2013, 09:49 PM
You made me think of a question. We are looking at purchasing theme park tickets with "water park fun and more option" which includes Wide World of Sports. Do you know if this includes seeing the Spring Training games or is that something different?

MargaretMessler
02-13-2013, 03:02 AM
You made me think of a question. We are looking at purchasing theme park tickets with "water park fun and more option" which includes Wide World of Sports. Do you know if this includes seeing the Spring Training games or is that something different?

That would only include admission to the complex. Game ticket is a separate ticketed event.

Melanie
02-13-2013, 06:21 AM
That would only include admission to the complex. Game ticket is a separate ticketed event.

And I've honestly never understood why someone would just want a ticket to the complex. :shrug:

green ranger
02-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Thank you!

And I've honestly never understood why someone would just want a ticket to the complex. :shrug:
That's exactly what I was trying to figure out. Then I thought, oh maybe it includes the events! Silly me to think that.

emerzmom
02-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Spring Training games ROCK! If you are a baseball fan this is a MUST DO. The smaller venue makes the experience much more intimate and fun. This is the best way to enjoy MLB. I am going to the Astros/Braves game March 1st. My poor Astros are not likely to do well but I will be there to cheer them on.
You should be able to get tickets for the game on the team's website or Stub Hub or Ticketmaster.
Go Astros!
:bball:
Julie

jillluvsdisney
02-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I did get my tickets thru the Braves web sight.

MargaretMessler
02-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Thank you!

That's exactly what I was trying to figure out. Then I thought, oh maybe it includes the events! Silly me to think that.

Although, I went years ago, before the era of the waterparks & more add on. We had tickets to a baseball game, and I don't remember having to pay or do anything extra besides present my ticket. So maybe the reverse is true. While admission doesn't include ticket, ticket does include admission?

ThanxForNoticin
02-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Although, I went years ago, before the era of the waterparks & more add on. We had tickets to a baseball game, and I don't remember having to pay or do anything extra besides present my ticket. So maybe the reverse is true. While admission doesn't include ticket, ticket does include admission?

Yea, a ticket does include admission to WWoS. The reason they sell admission just to WWoS is that they run so many other events there. The place is very large, and Braves baseball is only part of it. They also have college and high school spring training games going on. At times they'll have the NFL Experience, soccer activities, softball, etc. There are times of the year the place is pretty busy.

As for the original post, Braves games are a lot of fun. Spring training baseball is more fun than the real season in some ways (less formal, closer to the players, etc). Enjoy your game. From our experience, though, give yourself some extra time to drive and park there. Depending on the team they are playing, we've already been backed up in traffic for 30+ minutes getting in. Go a bit earlier and enjoy the whole experience to miss some of that traffic!

jillluvsdisney
02-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up about the traffic!!:number1:

joanna71985
02-19-2013, 08:45 PM
I thought of a question, if that's ok. I have a ticket to the 3/15 game. My first question is- which dugout side do the Braves use (1st or 3rd)? Also, is it possible to get to the stadium early to see the players? Reason I ask is because I'm a Mets fan, and would LOVE to see my favorite player (and my ticket is on the 1st base side).

emerzmom
02-19-2013, 09:31 PM
Hi Joanna,
Yes! Get to the stadium early and plan to stay after the game. This is your best chance to meet your favorite players. Be sure to bring something for them to sign and dont forget a Sharpie pen! Best opportunity is right after the game as they are headed into the locker room. Be nice and just holler out to your favorite player. They will likely stop and talk to you. Spring Training is much more relaxed than regular season games. I hope you have a great time.
I love my baseball!
:tink:
Julie

joanna71985
02-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Thank you for the info! Crossing my fingers I'll be lucky

Also, do you know which side each team's dugout is? I'm REALLY hoping the away team is on the first-base side =/

emerzmom
02-21-2013, 07:56 PM
No, just the opposite. Home team is 1st base side but no worries. Just wear your Mets shirt and I am sure you will find friendly Mets fans in your area. Unless your favorite player is a real Prima Dona type you should be able to at least say hi and get him to sign something for you. They know the dire hard fans are at Spring Training and they are less stressed than regular season. All works in your favor if meeting your fav player is part of your agenda. No matter, if you love baseball Spring Training is IT!
Enjoy
Julie

joanna71985
02-22-2013, 09:32 AM
Rats! Thank you though. One last question- can you go to the opposite side before the game starts, or do you have to stay where your ticket is?

Melanie
02-22-2013, 09:44 AM
You can roam anywhere around the stadium you want before and after the game. We honestly never had much luck at the Braves spring training for getting autographs (had better luck at other stadiums), although my son did get Freddie Freeman two years ago. Oh, and we also got autographs from Dale Murphy and Don Sutton, who were easily accessible after the game in the broadcast booth, and Bobby Cox who was in the stands.

They do a batting practice 'experience' at WWoS where you pay more to stand down behind home plate during warm ups and the players will more likely approach you there, which they should. Actually, I think all the teams/stadiums have that.

Joanna, if possible, you should take a trip down to St. Lucie and see your Mets there. We went last year and had a great time.

emerzmom
02-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Yes, you can walk around, hang out near the fence by the field and watch your favorite players warm up. It is very cool1
Julie

ThanxForNoticin
02-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Hi Joanna,
Yes! Get to the stadium early and plan to stay after the game. This is your best chance to meet your favorite players. Be sure to bring something for them to sign and dont forget a Sharpie pen! Best opportunity is right after the game as they are headed into the locker room. :tink:
Julie

Sorry, but I would respectfully disagree with your "best chance" recommendation for autographs. It is very, very common in spring training games to have the big name players start the game, get 2-3 at-bats, play 4-5 innings in the field, and then get taken out so the manager can get a look at the younger guys. Quite often when these "stars" are taken out, they'll head to the locker room between innings - well before the end of the game. So waiting after a game for autographs is often not the way to meet the regulars - they're probably back at their apartment or hotel by that point!

We have found the best chance for autographs is usually before the games - sometimes players will stop after batting practice or during stretching.

Another hint - players often look to sign for the younger kids first. If there is a youngster in your group, put them in the front with the pen!! Hope you have a great time!

emerzmom
02-22-2013, 04:02 PM
I guess it just depends on the team and the players. I have always seen that peope seem to have had the best luck after the game. I do agree with the statement about players willingness to sign things for younger kids. I know that they really don't want to sign things for people who look like they are just collecting signatures.
I don't really go for the autographs I just love the Spring Training atmoshere and the game.
Julie

Melanie
02-22-2013, 04:24 PM
I guess it just depends on the team and the players. I have always seen that peope seem to have had the best luck after the game.

Come to think of it, I do have to agree with Thanx on that, as all of our encounters have been before games. Makes sense.

joanna71985
02-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Thank you for the info everyone! I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I think it will be fun either way :)

They do a batting practice 'experience' at WWoS where you pay more to stand down behind home plate during warm ups and the players will more likely approach you there, which they should. Actually, I think all the teams/stadiums have that.

Joanna, if possible, you should take a trip down to St. Lucie and see your Mets there. We went last year and had a great time.

For the batting practice thing, do you have to buy it in advance? Or can you get it the day of?

I want to! I'll have to see if time permits

ThanxForNoticin
02-27-2013, 12:35 PM
I don't really go for the autographs I just love the Spring Training atmoshere and the game.
Julie

I absolutely agree with you on that. It's usually a great time to get back into baseball - and warmer weather!! We are looking forward to some games in mid-March.