PDA

View Full Version : Cat hairball help

caryrae
02-12-2013, 11:02 AM
One of our cats seems to have problems with hairballs and has trouble getting them out. She has longer hair and we do brush her. I am trying some chewable tablets right now called Vet's Best Hairball Relief Digestive aid. Been trying for a few days but doesn't seem to be helping. She hacked up a good sized hairball yesterday but still keeps trying to hack more but not much comes out. I think we may have to just take her to the vet.

Does anyone know of any other things/tricks that works pretty good. I have heard giving them canned pumpkin works pretty good. We also have hairball control dry food but she likes wet food.

Dulcee
02-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Laxatone may be helpful. You can buy it at petsmart. Its a tuna flavored gel that acts as an internal lubricant. We found giving ours a teaspoon a day for two weeks helped immensely. Now we give it to him every three days or so and we don't have anymore problems.

caryrae
02-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Thanks, I'll have to look into that one.

ChipDale2708
02-12-2013, 12:51 PM
I second laxatone. It has always worked wonders on our cats. Your vet should also carry it if it's closer than a Petsmart or Petco.

caryrae
02-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Is it possible to give to many hairball control products, like if I give hairball food, hairball treats, and the laxatone?

wellsm
02-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Our cat got drastically better when we started adding the contents of one fiber capsule to her wet food. The vet had originally sold us Vetasyl, but after some research we found that psyllium capsules were the same thing.

She gets almost no hairballs now.

kakn7294
02-21-2013, 10:49 AM
I'd check with your vet to see what they recommend. The Laxatone is a great product if your cat will take it. Ours would not and rubbing it on her paws (so she would lick it off) only lead to a huge mess as she would just walk around the house with it stuck all over her fur because she refused to lick it off. Bathing cats is NOT fun! Good grooming by us human parents helps too - daily brushing greatly reduces hairballs by reducing the amount of hair that they swallow.