PDA

View Full Version : Any other military families?

ANG
02-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Any other military families having a hard time deciding which park tickets to buy?

We've been to DW twice while they have continued to offer the $156 4 day salute. They extended it a few times so I'm hoping they extend it for our trip next January.

But 4 days isn't enough for our family to see everything. I am so thankful for the salute price because even paying a discounted MWR price for 5-6 days is pretty much doubled that. We can't just add a day or two, the price is insane.

ACK :confused:

DizMagic
02-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Yes, I know what you mean!! I don't think I've quite figured it all out yet to make it work to our benefit.

The four day ticket price is great and I so very much appreciate Disney doing that for military families. I'm like you, though, that we only get to go once a year (and some years not at all) so we try to go for a whole week. In the past it seemed like booking a free dining package in the fall was our better deal but I'm not sure. I'm wondering if purchasing a discounted room is better, and then purchasing a week's worth of park tickets through Shades of Green might be better. I, too, would love to hear what others have done.

buzznwoodysmom
02-07-2013, 05:26 PM
I agree that we often feel the 4 days isn't enough. When we visit in the summer we get the water parks and more option. You get an additional 4 days of fun at the water parks that way. Makes the ticket stretch a bit.

We leave tomorrow for WDW and are using the military tickets. We are only in WDW for 5 nights then are moving to universal for 2 nights so the 4 day ticket is enough for this trip.

The very first time we used the military salute ticket it was a 5 day ticket and we felt that was perfect! Even if it were to cost a bit more I really wish they would go back to the 5 day salute ticket.

BrerGnat
02-07-2013, 06:28 PM
I hear ya, but lately, 4 park days is enough for us. It just gets old quickly, I guess. We find that in a 7 day trip, 4 park days, 1 "Downtown Disney" day, and 2 full resort days enjoying the pool and recreation is perfect for us. I do think that getting the Water Park option added on in the warmer months is a stellar deal and a good way to stretch the ticket out.

You also might want to consider Universal. They are offering active duty military a FREE 3 day ticket, and 50% discounted tix for dependents (up to four, I believe).

buzznwoodysmom
02-07-2013, 06:48 PM
You also might want to consider Universal. They are offering active duty military a FREE 3 day ticket, and 50% discounted tix for dependents (up to four, I believe).

Natalie,
When/where did you hear of a 50% discount on Universal tickets for dependents? I know about the free ticket for the military member, but I was under the impression that there was no discount for dependent tickets. We leave tomorrow so I would love to know if this info is valid.

BrerGnat
02-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Actually, Denise, I was wrong. The offer for military dependents (anyone with base ID card) can take advantage of the promotional 2 days plus one free day. Ticket prices are as follows:

One park per day, total of 3 days access $118 adult/$108-child

Three day Park to Park: $130 adult/$120 child.

buzznwoodysmom
02-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Thanks Natalie. Sounded too good to be true! Lol. I am not complaining tho. We got a great room discount and the one free ticket.

T-Belle
02-07-2013, 10:41 PM
My DD and I had this same dilemma last year. We were going for a week and staying at SOG. We decided to do something we had never really done before~relax! We arrived on Saturday afternoon and explored the resort. Usually we're just running from room to the buses. Then on Sunday we had a wonderful day at DTD. We also casually shopped at the Poly and CR. Got back to the room and even ordered room service. We bit the bullet and bought a one day park ticket plus the 4 day tickets. Spent the rest of the week in the parks and came home the next Saturday. We both agree that this was probably the best WDW trip for us.

Melanie
02-08-2013, 09:00 AM
One park per day, total of 3 days access $118 adult/$108-child

Three day Park to Park: $130 adult/$120 child.

That's decent though. :thumbsup:

I agree that 5 days would be ideal for the military salute, but I could see using the water parks option and having a few days of relaxation time would be ideal as well. With the awesome room discount for military, we'd take advantage and enjoy all the hotel has to offer.

ANG
02-08-2013, 07:22 PM
Yes, I know what you mean!! I don't think I've quite figured it all out yet to make it work to our benefit.

The four day ticket price is great and I so very much appreciate Disney doing that for military families. I'm like you, though, that we only get to go once a year (and some years not at all) so we try to go for a whole week. In the past it seemed like booking a free dining package in the fall was our better deal but I'm not sure. I'm wondering if purchasing a discounted room is better, and then purchasing a week's worth of park tickets through Shades of Green might be better. I, too, would love to hear what others have done.

As a DVC member, we don't use room discounts (or pay out of pocket for them) so we can't get free dining either. I don't feel like we have many options.

ANG
02-08-2013, 07:27 PM
We've also opted out of Universal this trip because our boys will only be 2 and 5. And since we are going in January, we'll be lucky to use the pools at the resort let alone the only open water park.

We do leave a day of rest between 1-2 days at a park. But we find with our kids that if we go to the parks more days, we aren't as stressed about cramming so much into that one day, KWIM?

pixiesmimi
02-15-2013, 10:24 AM
I thought the same thing, that 4 days wasn't long enough for us because we usually go for a week. But we tried it last July, just DH and I, and it was plenty of days. We didn't have a down day like we usually do but as long as I can go to MK a couple of days and Epcot a couple of days, we are fine. We used the park hopper and did a couple of parks in one day. I do wish they would go back to the 5 day ticket though and not block us out of MK on July 4 or any of the parks Christmas week. That really ticked me this year when we went Christmas week but couldn't use the discounted tickets any of that week. That would have saved us considerable money for our large family group if we could have had discounted tickets or discounted room (that wasn't available either that week).