Disney Family Fun Run 5K
$60 per participant

Dopey Challenge
$495 by June 18, 2013
$525 between June 19, 2013 and August 13, 2013
$555 on or after August 14, 2013

runDisney Kids Races
$15 per child

Click here (http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/ewwos/pdf/rundisney/marathons/signup.html) for reminder email notification for runDisney events.

Official Page here (http://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/)

Join us (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=197164) for the 2014 WDW Marathon Weekend INTERCOT meet!

Carol
02-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Hey Miss Mel. What time does registration usually open up ??

Melanie
02-24-2013, 06:46 PM
Hey Miss Mel. What time does registration usually open up ??

Since this particular race weekend has really never been an issue for getting signed up day of, we've never paid attention. I'll poke around and see what I can find out.

Carol
03-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Thanks, Mel. Was hoping to be able to call before work. :cool:

Melanie
03-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks, Mel. Was hoping to be able to call before work. :cool:

You can just do it online. I'd go ahead and get accounts set up for the runners on active.com and then you'll be ready to go. :)

cer
03-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Resgistration opens in less than a month (April 9). I wish they would release the registration fees already.

For those of you who run these races regularly, do the fees usually go up? - Who am I kidding - this is Disney - of course the registration fees will go up....:blush:

BriarRose0708
03-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Active.com posted some interesting pricing yesterday, although not official from runDisney. It includes a 10K that's the same price as the half, but no date for that race. Based on last year's prices it looks like registration went up $5. These are still rumors, but with registration opening up in 3 weeks I'd hope to see this officially announced any time now.

cer
03-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Active.com posted some interesting pricing yesterday, although not official from runDisney. It includes a 10K that's the same price as the half, but no date for that race. Based on last year's prices it looks like registration went up $5. These are still rumors, but with registration opening up in 3 weeks I'd hope to see this officially announced any time now.

That is interesting, a 10K as far as I know has never been a part of the WDW Marathon weekend...and then for it to be priced the same as the half... of course this is unofficial like you said. If they were going to change the race offerings, you would think it would get more press from Disney. I guess we will see soon enough....

Waiting anxiously.....

BriarRose0708
03-21-2013, 03:09 PM
That is interesting, a 10K as far as I know has never been a part of the WDW Marathon weekend...and then for it to be priced the same as the half... of course this is unofficial like you said. If they were going to change the race offerings, you would think it would get more press from Disney. I guess we will see soon enough....

Waiting anxiously.....
The Active.com page was updated with the correct 10k price, it's now $70 or so cheaper than the full. I don't want to post the prices here since they aren't confirmed yet, but anyone can go on the Active.com site and look.

cer
03-21-2013, 03:59 PM
The Active.com page was updated with the correct 10k price, it's now $70 or so cheaper than the full. I don't want to post the prices here since they aren't confirmed yet, but anyone can go on the Active.com site and look.

Is it possible they have the distance incorrect? I thought it was supposed to be a Family 5K. Never heard of them doing a 10K on Marathon Weekend.

BriarRose0708
03-21-2013, 04:02 PM
Is it possible they have the distance incorrect? I thought it was supposed to be a Family 5K. Never heard of them doing a 10K on Marathon Weekend.

They still are doing the 5k. Pricing is posted for "Official Dopey" which is the 5k, half, and full. In previous years only the Goofy Challenge was official and runners would tack on the 5k and call it Dopey. There are no details about a 10k, just registration cost.

For the record, runDisney tweeted today there have been no official announcements about marathon weekend yet.

Melanie
03-21-2013, 05:02 PM
They still are doing the 5k. Pricing is posted for "Official Dopey" which is the 5k, half, and full. In previous years only the Goofy Challenge was official and runners would tack on the 5k and call it Dopey. There are no details about a 10k, just registration cost.

For the record, runDisney tweeted today there have been no official announcements about marathon weekend yet.

Interesting. It's been hinted by our 'in the know' gal that 10Ks are coming. Maybe sooner than we think. ;)

badkitty
03-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Hmmm, a new 10K? Sounds like must-have bling to me! I don't think I'm ready yet for the Dopey. I still need to tackle the marathon!

Melanie
03-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Oh boy...if this whole Dopey things pans out to be true, our plans for January just changed drastically. My hubby WILL be along, as he can't resist a 'challenge'. But holy moly - $495? Yikes!

BriarRose0708
03-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Oh boy...if this whole Dopey things pans out to be true, our plans for January just changed drastically. My hubby WILL be along, as he can't resist a 'challenge'. But holy moly - $495? Yikes!

I know, the sticker shock is big. Someone on a blog did a breakdown of cost per mile and compared to other races like these it came out to cheaper than if you were to register for a color run 5k, a half marathon in a mid-size city and a marathon in a major city. :confused:

PirateLover
03-21-2013, 10:37 PM
Hmmm... Hubby has finally gotten on board with running and we were just discussing this. If they do add a 10K, I think that will be the race we will do since we are already training so hard. A half marathon just seems too crazy to us right now. ;)

Melanie
03-22-2013, 02:05 PM
An annoucement from runDisney is coming today at 3pm!

cer
03-22-2013, 02:12 PM
An annoucement from runDisney is coming today at 3pm!

ACK! I have mixed feelings about what they might be announcing. :blush:

I guess we will wait and see!!!!!!!!

cer
03-22-2013, 03:01 PM
3 o'clock right now Florida time!

cer
03-22-2013, 03:14 PM
Wow. The "Official" Dopey.

Four races- not three.

5K, 10K, Half Marathon, Marathon

48.6 miles

BriarRose0708
03-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Just saw it on Twitter, there's a link to a little YouTube spot on the runDisney account. I haven't looked but does it indicate when/where the 10K will be?

cer
03-22-2013, 03:45 PM
So the 5k is on Thurs, 10K on Friday, Half on Saturday, Full on Sunday.

BriarRose0708
03-22-2013, 03:48 PM
So the 5k is on Thurs, 10K on Friday, Half on Saturday, Full on Sunday.

Ugh, so much for a 2-day vacation request so soon after the holidays. I may have to miss the 5k since I likely won't get to WDW until Thursday late afternoon or early evening. I'll ask if I can take another day, or I may just have to get sick, recover miraculously on the plane ride down.:ill:

cer
03-22-2013, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I am not too happy either.

In order to get to the expo and it NOT be picked over you have to show up on WED????

In order to do the DOPEY - you have to run four days all the while saving your legs so you can't really do any park time until after, which puts you into Monday. Let's just make a whole week out of it. :confused:

PirateLover
03-22-2013, 04:51 PM
In order to do the DOPEY - you have to run four days all the while saving your legs so you can't really do any park time until after, which puts you into Monday. Let's just make a whole week out of it. :confused:

Rent a wheelchair and get someone to push you around! ;) But seriously, this is a big wrench for a lot of people. I am excited about the 10K, but I would really like to be there to cheer on the 5K people, especially since I got some other friends and family interested.

Melanie
03-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Events update, and new dates and pricing are all now added to the original post.

Christine
03-22-2013, 05:46 PM
WooHoo!! 10K here I come! That's the perfect distance for me! Can't wait!!

Christine
03-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Interesting. It's been hinted by our 'in the know' gal that 10Ks are coming. Maybe sooner than we think. ;)

:D I remember when they had the meeting and I wanted to say it SOOOO badly but couldn't !

Mel, your travel plans may change drastically if the next proves true as well- a birdie tells me runDisney is heading to DLP! Your hubby would maybe like some inaugural European Disney bling?!

Melanie
03-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Mel, your travel plans may change drastically if the next proves true as well- a birdie tells me runDisney is heading to DLP! Your hubby would maybe like some inaugural European Disney bling?!

Oh no. No. NO. Seriously? He may not be able to resist. And I would have to go, you know since it's the only Disney park I've yet to visit. What a great reason to finally get over there. :D

Christine
03-24-2013, 09:21 AM
Oh no. No. NO. Seriously? He may not be able to resist. And I would have to go, you know since it's the only Disney park I've yet to visit. What a great reason to finally get over there. :D

That'd be some serious bucket-list-crossing-offing right there!!!

Melanie
03-24-2013, 10:42 AM
That'd be some serious bucket-list-crossing-offing right there!!!

Ha! We'll see. That's a big, blue ocean out there to fly over. ;) Seriously though, I will not die without going to Europe. This sounds like a good excuse as any.

Tri Minnie
03-25-2013, 01:19 PM
I think it is nice to have a variety of distances, but I also can't imagine adding another race to what already seems a bit overwhelming and crazy.

Christine
03-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Things are getting interesting!

With the crowds already swelling by each passing year and the anticipated growth with the addition of a 10K at marathon weekend at WDW, the town of Celebration had announced an inaugural 1/2 and full marathon January 26 complete with shirts, a more affordable entry fee, finish line refreshments c/o local restaurants, and of course bling!

Even more interesting---and it's definitely not a final or official announcement, just in talking phase:

A little birdie tells me not to be surprised if a SECOND 5k is added to the wdw marathon weekend on Friday, same day as the 10k.
The anticipated dopey challenge participants are enough to lock out the entire family fun run, plus local runners are upset about a Thursday (work and schoolday) run. $50 5Ks don't bring in as many lodgers/vacationers as it does locals. They can't afford to lose that demographic.

So the word is the logistics are being looked into to offer a second day 5K to allow for demand. Also, folks who have already booked their air and lodging for the Dopey would be able to keep their plans of Fri-Sun, without having to add Thursday.
That would make a 10,13,26 weekend for them , running the 5&10ks back to back same day.

We shall see...again, this info is in then VERY early stages and may not come to pass so you'd be wise to plan for the event "as-is"

Melanie
03-25-2013, 06:35 PM
Things are getting interesting!

With the crowds already swelling by each passing year and the anticipated growth with the addition of a 10K at marathon weekend at WDW, the town of Celebration had announced an inaugural 1/2 and full marathon January 26 complete with shirts, a more affordable entry fee, finish line refreshments c/o local restaurants, and of course bling!

Even more interesting---and it's definitely not a final or official announcement, just in talking phase:

A little birdie tells me not to be surprised if a SECOND 5k is added to the wdw marathon weekend on Friday, same day as the 10k.
The anticipated dopey challenge participants are enough to lock out the entire family fun run, plus local runners are upset about a Thursday (work and schoolday) run. $50 5Ks don't bring in as many lodgers/vacationers as it does locals. They can't afford to lose that demographic.

So the word is the logistics are being looked into to offer a second day 5K to allow for demand. Also, folks who have already booked their air and lodging for the Dopey would be able to keep their plans of Fri-Sun, without having to add Thursday.
That would make a 10,13,26 weekend for them , running the 5&10ks back to back same day.

We shall see...again, this info is in then VERY early stages and may not come to pass so you'd be wise to plan for the event "as-is"

Very interesting stuff, Christine. Thanks for sharing! Will be interesting to see what actually shakes out. You know though, they just need to put a cap on these races and be done with it. They are way crowded as it is.

I've heard about the Celebration Marathon and can definitely see that having local appeal. Are you going to do any of the races?

Christine
03-25-2013, 07:29 PM
Very interesting stuff, Christine. Thanks for sharing! Will be interesting to see what actually shakes out. You know though, they just need to put a cap on these races and be done with it. They are way crowded as it is.

I've heard about the Celebration Marathon and can definitely see that having local appeal. Are you going to do any of the races?

SO agree on the caps- it's insane to be body to body with ppl at a full run! :crowd:

Don't know if I'll do the Celebration or not- need to see the bling first! ;)

jonahbear2006
03-26-2013, 03:16 AM
The resorts are sold out already for this weekend????? This is going to be an insane weekend. I ususally run but I think I will NOT run this year. I will spectate and just show up. THere is no way I want to participate in this madness. $495?!?!??!?!?! I am more interested in having the free t-shirt...isn't that odd of me? I will only be sad that I am not picking up my racing gear and bag prior to the race. :-(

BriarRose0708
03-26-2013, 09:15 AM
The resorts are sold out already for this weekend????? This is going to be an insane weekend. I ususally run but I think I will NOT run this year. I will spectate and just show up. THere is no way I want to participate in this madness. $495?!?!??!?!?! I am more interested in having the free t-shirt...isn't that odd of me? I will only be sad that I am not picking up my racing gear and bag prior to the race. :-(
Sorry, but I don't see in any of the previous posts where anyone shares news that resorts are sold out for this weekend. The WDW website shows no availability for this weekend yet, but that's not indicative of a sell out. Just call or better yet contact Magical Journeys to book your trip. Yes this will be crazy crowded but I'm not letting that deter me from running or enjoying the experience. Sorry you aren't going to participate.

Melanie
03-26-2013, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I don't think the resorts are sold out yet. I had no problem adding on a day at Shades of Green for 3 rooms. Yes, the marathon swells the crowds and activity around the resort for the weekend, but in no way do I think it's the biggest crowd of people ever at WDW, like you stated in another post jonahbear.

BrerGnat
03-26-2013, 12:16 PM
The resorts are sold out already for this weekend?????(

No, it's just the lovely new My Disney Experience website being super awesome again.

It apparently is not yet properly showing resort availability beyond 12/31/13. If you input ANY dates in 2014, you will get "no availability" at every resort, so don't despair. The entire WDW resort is NOT already sold out for Marathon Weekend.

Even if all the WDW resorts were full, though, there are plenty of alternatives:
Hilton/Waldorf Astoria Bonnet Creek, Downtown Disney area resorts, Swan/Dolphin, Shades of Green (if you're eligible), etc.

I think I will book Shades of Green for now, as a safety, but DH and I really want to stay at an Epcot resort if possible.

BrerGnat
03-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Aaaand, Shades of Green is booked. They have availability on Sat and Sun nights, but not the surrounding days prior or after. Hmm.

Swan and Dolphin have lots of availability, though.

Hilton/Waldorf Bonnet Creek only go out to 12/31/13 for reservations at this point.

Well, I guess we'll get what we get. I won't stress too much about it until we actually know we can go. ;)

BriarRose0708
03-26-2013, 12:48 PM
Don't worry about hotels quite yet. I was a little nervous from the WDW site so I e-mailed Wendy at MJ. She said no one can book 2014 yet, except on a non-guaranteed reservation. Meaning, since the 2014 rates haven't been released yet you can book room-only at the peak 2013 rate and then have it adjusted when 2014 rates are out. Since I don't have the $ to put down a deposit on the peak rate price at a deluxe hotel, I'm waiting until 2014 is out and take my chances.

So breathe a little easier about availability.

AgentC
03-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Don't worry about hotels quite yet. I was a little nervous from the WDW site so I e-mailed Wendy at MJ. She said no one can book 2014 yet, except on a non-guaranteed reservation. Meaning, since the 2014 rates haven't been released yet you can book room-only at the peak 2013 rate and then have it adjusted when 2014 rates are out. Since I don't have the $ to put down a deposit on the peak rate price at a deluxe hotel, I'm waiting until 2014 is out and take my chances.

Thanks for investigating Nikki! :thumbsup:

badkitty
03-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the info all. I'm in no shape financially to book for this race yet. I still have DL half and W&D to pay for. I will also have to wait and take my chances.

Dopey's Girl
03-26-2013, 01:22 PM

Thanks Nikki! Good to know.

Melanie
03-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Aaaand, Shades of Green is booked. They have availability on Sat and Sun nights, but not the surrounding days prior or after. Hmm.

Did you call or go through the website? That just doesn't make sense, although I'm glad I called first thing that afternoon after the announcement and added the Wednesday prior on.

BrerGnat
03-26-2013, 04:28 PM
Did you call or go through the website? That just doesn't make sense, although I'm glad I called first thing that afternoon after the announcement and added the Wednesday prior on.

Website. The calendar came up and there were only a handful of "green" days left in Jan. 11th and 12th were green, but all surrounding dates were tan "X", and I got a message that my dates were not available. I was trying for 9-12. I blame you Mel, you probably took the last room. :razz:

Melanie
03-26-2013, 05:01 PM
I'd call them if you're really wanting a room. I know when we were living in Florida, more than once I'd try to book on the website and it showed full and I'd call and get a room with no problem.

Maybe I did take the last rooms....we've got 3. ;)

PirateLover
03-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Ditto to what Nikki said. We also contacted our MJ agent (Deb) when we couldnt access anything on the website and she told us the same exact info. We are also waiting for now.

Melanie
03-27-2013, 01:36 PM
I'm reading the posts right now on FB regarding the Marine Corps Marathon registration which opened 1.5 hours ago, and everyone is blasting active.com. Pages are freezing, people are getting all the way through the credit card screen and then being dropped, etc. This race sells out quickly every year, but wow are people upset.

I'm going to hope it's not really an active.com issue, and try to not let it worry me about getting DH signed up for the Dopey, but I am a worrier after all. ;)

J9
03-27-2013, 11:28 PM
My friends and I really want to try Dopey and push ourselves to prove we can. Here's hoping we all get in (and get rooms apparently!) I know it was really tough to get a room for The Dumbo Dare - luckily we booked a few days before the official race registration actually opened!

Anyone else think they should have called it the Grumpy? I can't imagine being anything but that sitting on the plane ride home after all those runs!

Melanie
03-28-2013, 08:48 AM
Anyone else think they should have called it the Grumpy? I can't imagine being anything but that sitting on the plane ride home after all those runs!

Try driving 14 hours. LOL! Yep, we're most likely driving (unless we can find awesome plane fares) and we may leave Sunday afternoon.

I'm seeing some grumbles now that Dopey may open early to AP and Disney Visa card holders. Fingers crossed! :fingers:

cer
03-28-2013, 11:04 AM
I'm seeing some grumbles now that Dopey may open early to AP and Disney Visa card holders. Fingers crossed! :fingers:

GIRL! Where do you get your news?

One can only hope....

J9
03-28-2013, 06:06 PM
I hope that's true! Keep us posted!!

Melanie
03-28-2013, 06:22 PM
Just grumblings in a FB group, that who knows if they have any inside info or not.

Of course, we could just all fork out the $999 and register early through the Runner's World Challenge. :shake:

J9
03-28-2013, 07:23 PM
I'm poor so the runners world challenge isn't an option for me, but I was reading about it out of curiosity. Really the price isn't bad for everything extra they get - it would cost pretty close to that if they got it all a la cart.

I would spring for it if it was $150. More, but for the double the price of the dopey? That much to rich for my blood!

Bummer. Would have liked the peace of mind.

Melanie
03-29-2013, 11:00 AM
DVC members will get early registration starting 4/3, and a slight discount. Apparently if you log into your member page, details are there. Can anyone confirm?

Christine
03-29-2013, 12:18 PM
DVC members will get early registration starting 4/3, and a slight discount. Apparently if you log into your member page, details are there. Can anyone confirm?

All I found under special offers was this verbiage:

"runDisney offers Member discounts PLUS early registration!

runDisney is a series of half marathon and marathon events that provide runners unique opportunities to run through Disney theme parks. Race participants earn Disney-themed medals, experience legendary Disney entertainment and Guest service and ultimately celebrate their accomplishments with a Disney vacation. Disney Vacation Club Members now get a $10 discount off first-tier registration prices for all runDisney half- and full-marathon races, plus limited early registration* in advance of the general public!"

However this is from my mobile version- will check desktop when I get a chance!

J9
04-02-2013, 07:08 AM
I can confirm. I emailed runDisney and they said 4/3 for DVC, Visa, and AP. that's about all I know, but it's straight from them.

Melanie
04-02-2013, 07:26 AM
I can confirm. I emailed runDisney and they said 4/3 for DVC, Visa, and AP. that's about all I know, but it's straight from them.

Thanks for relaying what you were told. I'm getting so nervous though. While info has been put on the DVC page, nothing has been officially announced for Disney Visa or AP. It's supposedly tomorrow???

J9
04-02-2013, 07:38 AM
Thanks for relaying what you were told. I'm getting so nervous though. While info has been put on the DVC page, nothing has been officially announced for Disney Visa or AP. It's supposedly tomorrow???

Yeah, that's the weird thing. Unless an email is going to go out in the morning. I emailed visa right after I heard from rundisney, but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Rundisney didn't give me any details on the AP except the date, and they said to contact visa for information on how to sign up through that. The only one with any concrete info is DVC.

BriarRose0708
04-02-2013, 08:56 AM
I haven't gotten anything from Visa either but hopefully something will come out ASAP!

badkitty
04-02-2013, 02:15 PM
The Runner's World registration link is available now without notice. The 10K and 5K are not available with their package.

Maybe the pre-registration for DVC/AP/Visa will be the same? I'm AP and Visa holder but not sure how this will work. I'm just signing up for the 10K though so maybe this won't be available until the 9th.

I'll be checking the runDisney site first thing in the morning!

Christine
04-03-2013, 08:57 AM
I am on the DVC member site now. It clearly states :

ON SALE NOW!

Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend
•Date: Jan 8-12, 2014
•Member Early Registration*: April 3, 2013
•General Public Registration: April 9, 2013
•Discount: $10 off per person for the Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K, Goofy Challenge or the Dopey Challenge •DVC Member Code:xxxxx
•Code Expiration: June 18, 2013

However, when you click the link to register, all you see are these three options to register for:

2014 Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend

Please Select:
- Deferral to 2014 Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge
-Deferral to 2014 Walt Disney World® Marathon
-Deferral to 2014 Walt Disney World® Half Marathon

Nothing about the 10K or Dopey? (I'm trying to sign up for the 10K)

Melanie
04-03-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm seeing on the runDisney FB page that you aren't the only one having issues, Christine. Maybe at noon they will open up? I am seeing folks saying something about getting through when they click on a 'deferred' tab? :shrug:

Carol
04-03-2013, 09:20 AM
I'm getting through but can only register Shayne for the 1/2.

Christine
04-03-2013, 09:23 AM
When I clicked on the deferral just now, I got this:

Attention! Category is full!

DEFERRED to Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge
Age must be at least 18 as of 1/11/2014.
FULL Price: $340.00

Attetion! Category is full on all three options :(
And still no option to register for the 10K

Carol
04-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Oy. It's telling me the race is FULL.

Carol
04-03-2013, 09:26 AM
You cannot register for the 5 either. Everything worked until I left the DVC page to the active.com site. I tried calling and they do not open until 7PST. Looks like I'll try after work this afternoon.

Christine
04-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Grrrrr! This is frustrating!

Now it shows this:

Please Select:
Runner's World Challenge
Dopey Challenge
Thursday, January 9, 2014 - runDisney Kids Races
Friday, January 10, 2014 - runDisney Kids Races
Saturday, January 11, 2014 - runDisney Kids Races

Now no half, full, or 5 or 10K? What on earth???

Christine
04-03-2013, 09:37 AM
WOOHOO! It's up and working now! I'm in for the 10K and going to register 5K as well!
#runICOT!!! :number1:

AgentC
04-03-2013, 09:56 AM
There is also a link on the pass holder page to register today. It seems to be working.

If I am going to have my kids do the kid's races, what day does everyone think is the best- Thurs, Fri or Sat? I am only doing the 5k.

Carol
04-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Done! Got Shayne registered for the half, 10K & 5K races.

This will be me : :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Christine
04-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Yay!!! Cindy if it were me, I'd do the kids race on the day that is NOT your 5K

AgentC
04-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Yay!!! Cindy if it were me, I'd do the kids race on the day that is NOT your 5K

Good idea Christine. Maybe I'll have them do the Saturday one. That will let me do the 5K, then I can cheer for all of you doing the 10K. If my mom can bring them over, it would also let them not miss school on the Thursday and Friday.

Melanie
04-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Of course we aren't passholders anymore. :bang:

If they don't open the Visa registration tomorrow, I'm going to scream. That is all. :D

J9
04-03-2013, 10:20 AM
I just registered for Dopey. What did I do?!?!?

Christine
04-03-2013, 10:25 AM

:faint:
Hahahaha! No, you'll be great! Think of all that bling!

badkitty
04-03-2013, 10:45 AM
I just got in through the AP site and registered for the 10K. The confirmation says it is on Saturday. WHAT?!? The runDisney site says Friday for the 10K. Ugh.

Christine and Carol, what date does your confirmation say for the 10K?

Christine
04-03-2013, 10:57 AM
I just got in through the AP site and registered for the 10K. The confirmation says it is on Saturday. WHAT?!? The runDisney site says Friday for the 10K. Ugh.

It says event date January 8 at 5:30 at the top

Then 10k Saturday January 11 mid page

Clear as mud!

badkitty
04-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Ugh. I emailed Active.com. I'm also restricted from viewing my complete registration.

badkitty
04-03-2013, 11:02 AM

Good for you! We will be there cheering you on!!

AgentC
04-03-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm registered for the 5k. I'm holding off on the kids until they decide if they want the dashes or the Mickey Mile.

Carol
04-03-2013, 03:51 PM

Mine says that too.

BUT -- The 1/2 is on Saturday. The 10k is on Friday. They moved the 5k to Thursday. The schedule better be like that. My kid will have a hard time running 2 races at once.

BrerGnat
04-03-2013, 07:12 PM
The 10K and Half have to be on different days, because there is a different medal for each race. Although, I suppose they could have people who are running the 10k "stop here" at the 6.2 mile mark, and then have those who are doing the full 1/2 just continue on.

Melanie
04-03-2013, 07:18 PM
The Dopey Challenge is 4 days. Therefore, the 5K and 10K have to be on different days. It's not surprising that something involving a Disney website is messed up.

Melanie
04-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Disney Visa registration with $15 discount is now up!

Okay, got my hubby signed up for Dopey and my son signed up for the 10K. YAY! Those were the 2 we were worried about. I'm going to hold off on the 5K registrations for my son and I, as I doubt it will sell out quickly (especially being on Thursday now).

badkitty
04-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Excellent! I should have waited a day for the $15 discount but I didn't trust I would be able to get in.

Christine
04-04-2013, 01:59 PM
Excellent! I should have waited a day for the $15 discount but I didn't trust I would be able to get in.

That was me too! I wanted it NOW! Especially being the first 10K and and how quickly the DLR one went!

Melanie
04-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Now that I can relax (seriously, my hubby was threatening to divorce me if I didn't get him signed up for Dopey ;) ), I am very interested to see how quickly it all sells out. Or are we all just overestimating the popularity of runDisney? :D

Christine
04-04-2013, 02:12 PM
Now that I can relax (seriously, my hubby was threatening to divorce me if I didn't get him signed up for Dopey ;) ), I am very interested to see how quickly it all sells out. Or are we all just overestimating the popularity of runDisney? :D

I dunno, Mel- I can easily see a "run" on the 10K! It's a huge leap from 3.1 miles to 13.1 miles and this is the middle ground so many folks have been waiting for!
"My sources" expect a HUGE rush on the 10K and more 10Ks to come.

It will definitely be something to watch

disneygoofball
04-04-2013, 02:26 PM
I just registered for the Dopey Challenge! Not sure if I should be :joy:, :eek:, or :sick:

Melanie
04-04-2013, 03:19 PM
I dunno, Mel- I can easily see a "run" on the 10K! It's a huge leap from 3.1 miles to 13.1 miles and this is the middle ground so many folks have been waiting for!
"My sources" expect a HUGE rush on the 10K and more 10Ks to come.

It will definitely be something to watch

No, I think you're right, Christine. Actually, I hope they introduce more 10Ks at Disneyland. Seems perfect for out there.

I just registered for the Dopey Challenge! Not sure if I should be :joy:, :eek:, or :sick:

Congrats Beth! Can't wait to cheer :cheer: all you Dopey folks on!

PirateLover
04-04-2013, 08:02 PM
DH got the visa email and I didn't! Good thing! He was able to register us both for the 10k!!! Ahhhhh!! Now it's starting to get real.

Melanie
04-04-2013, 08:12 PM
DH got the visa email and I didn't! Good thing! He was able to register us both for the 10k!!! Ahhhhh!! Now it's starting to get real.

:thumbsup:

mickeyd
04-05-2013, 12:30 AM
I'm all signed up for the Dopey!! :mickey:

PirateLover
04-07-2013, 04:08 PM
I'm all signed up for the Dopey!! :mickey:
Awesome! :notworth:

badkitty
04-07-2013, 07:19 PM
Congratulations to all on their challenges.

Just an update: I received a response today from Active.com in regards to my confirmation email saying Saturday as the day for the 10K. They said it was runDisney's responsibility/error and I need to contact them.

BriarRose0708
04-08-2013, 02:47 PM
I read on another running site that Minnie 10K pre-sales have sold out. So if you want to get into the 10K better register tomorrow when it opens up to everyone.

Melanie
04-08-2013, 03:03 PM
I read on another running site that Minnie 10K pre-sales have sold out. So if you want to get into the 10K better register tomorrow when it opens up to everyone.

Thanks for the heads up, Nikki! I'm glad they capped the pre-sales. With more thought about this, I'm betting it sells out within a few hours.

Melanie
04-08-2013, 07:37 PM
This is a great little short video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5DrvCpm8WCA) from the Director of Marketing at runDisney explaining some changes in store for this years Marathon Weekend.

Confirmation of Minnie Mouse medal for the 10K
A couple thousand less runners
Proof of Time (to ensure correct corral placement)
More corrals
Men and Women cut tech shirts (in the past there has been only men's cut)

PirateLover
04-09-2013, 12:17 AM
Sounds like they really listened to feedback from the runners. Hopefully it all goes a little more smoothly. I need to say again that I am so ridiculously excited about the 10K being Minnie Mouse. I love polka dots (and Minnie, of course) and you betcha I'll be in a tutu and Minnie ears for that race! So glad hubby got us in the Visa pre-sale. Can't wait! :minnie:

Melanie
04-09-2013, 10:51 AM
I agree, Maryanne. The Minnie medal should be adorable. I'll be wearing my ears that morning to cheer!

Oh, and I just saw that all the medals will be new and redesigned this year. That's great news, as essentially the Donald (1/2 Marathon) and Goofy Challenge have been the same for many years.

BriarRose0708
04-09-2013, 11:17 AM
I agree, Maryanne. The Minnie medal should be adorable. I'll be wearing my ears that morning to cheer!

Oh, and I just saw that all the medals will be new and redesigned this year. That's great news, as essentially the Donald (1/2 Marathon) and Goofy Challenge have been the same for many years.
Bling it on!

Sounds like they really listened to feedback from the runners. Hopefully it all goes a little more smoothly. I need to say again that I am so ridiculously excited about the 10K being Minnie Mouse. I love polka dots (and Minnie, of course) and you betcha I'll be in a tutu and Minnie ears for that race! So glad hubby got us in the Visa pre-sale. Can't wait! :minnie:

I'm happy about this too, especially the male and female cut shirts. They use Champion brand, which Target carries, and I tried on the male cut long sleeve shirt the other night and the fit was crummy.

Only 45 more minutes until open registration! Hope everyone gets to register for the races they want. I have to be in a meeting at noon but I'm not worried about getting into the half at 1 p.m.

Melanie
04-09-2013, 12:09 PM
REGISTRATION IS OPEN! GET GOING FOLKS!!!

:mickey3::donald::minnie::goofy:

Melanie
04-09-2013, 12:11 PM
AND not surprised to see folks already complaining about the system crashing, etc. <sigh> Apparently no lessons learned from active.com on the Marine Corps Marathon registration last week.

jennsky
04-09-2013, 12:51 PM
All signed up for the 5K! Guess that means I can start planning my next Disney trip now! :party:

BriarRose0708
04-09-2013, 01:15 PM
My sister and I are all in for the half!

Dopey's Girl
04-09-2013, 01:30 PM
Just finished my registration for the 5k...I wanted to do the 10, but just can't see it right now. Baby steps right?!

Buttercup
04-09-2013, 01:46 PM
All signed up for the Family 5K! :thumbsup:

JUST AN FYI: The Family 5K is already 51% booked up as of 1:45pm today!

Melanie
04-09-2013, 04:26 PM
Just updated my original post. Capacity now sits at :

WDW 10K - 87%
Family Fun 5K - 61%
Dopey Challenge - 73%

I'd suggest registering quickly for the 10K if you want to get it. It will surely sell out in the next few hours.

Melanie
04-09-2013, 08:08 PM
10K sold out!

Christine
04-09-2013, 08:38 PM
10K sold out!

Pretty amazing! This will result in more 10Ks, so I'm thrilled!! Hope all our runICOT folks got signed up for what they wanted today!

Melanie
04-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Wowsa - $700+ later, we are now officially all signed up. James is Dopey, Ryan is doing 10K and 5K and I'm in for the 5K. We're paying more in race registration than we are for our hotel. ;)

Folks, don't hesitate signing up for the 5K. I predict it will be full by later today, as it's sitting at 84% now. I'm actually shocked this one is going so fast.

#runICOT

badkitty
04-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Shocked about the 5K. I signed up for it last year in October.

Melanie
04-10-2013, 07:52 PM
97% for the 5K! It will be gone tonight for sure.

Yes, my hubby was just saying today that he was contemplating signing up for the 5K last year in October and let it fill up before he could. I can't believe we're looking at a sell out on day 2. Crazy, especially since they moved it to Thursday.

Melanie
04-10-2013, 09:17 PM
5K is SOLD OUT!

Wow.

BrerGnat
04-11-2013, 09:15 AM
5K is SOLD OUT!

Wow.

I anticipate a lot of anger over this.

Honestly, I almost forgot to register on opening day, and I would have been MAD if I had missed it.

Seems like it's become sort of a "cult" thing, and only those in the know have a shot.

Melanie
04-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Seems like it's become sort of a "cult" thing, and only those in the know have a shot.

It's definitely the IT thing Disney has going right now. What prompted the 5K sellout though, I have no idea. I thought if anything, it would be less popular being that it was moved to Thursday. Weird.

Dopey is at 96% right now. Like last night, I anticipate it being full probably by tomorrow morning. Crazy!

Dsnygirl
04-11-2013, 09:26 PM
5K is SOLD OUT!

Wow.

5K & 10K were both sold out when I logged on yesterday morning... :( ... I was thinking of the 10K, and have to admit I'm pretty disappointed. I never dreamed there wouldn't be plenty of time to think about it and decide... last year, the 5K was open still into the summer. :( :(

Melanie
04-11-2013, 11:30 PM
last year, the 5K was open still into the summer. :( :(

The 5K didn't fill until October last year.

I don't get it. I really don't.

Carol
04-12-2013, 07:40 AM
If they 5k is part of the Dopey Challenge I'd assume that would bring the numbers up even more - as all of the long distance runners are doing it now as well.

AgentC
04-12-2013, 07:57 AM
If they 5k is part of the Dopey Challenge I'd assume that would bring the numbers up even more - as all of the long distance runners are doing it now as well.

I was thinking that too Carol. They said they were lowering the number of runners and they had to reserve space for the Dopey runners. I wonder how many straight 5K spaces there were and how many Dopey.

BrerGnat
04-12-2013, 08:58 AM

Yes, this definitely factors in. And, they reduced the sizes of the races this year AND they still have a lot of spots held for charity teams, so it does make sense that it would fill up more quickly this year.

Melanie
04-12-2013, 08:58 AM

Yeah, and I did mention that last night as we taped the podcast as a possibility.

I think if that's the case, they possibly do need to add another one, maybe? Not sure what the solution should be.

Melanie
04-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Last chance for all you Dopey folks out there. It's at 99%!

Melanie
05-15-2013, 07:15 AM
Half Marathon is now sold out as well.

Melanie
07-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Just FYI - Marathon capacity has now reached 95%. I'd look for it to sell out in the next week or so. Goofy Challenge is sitting at 85%.

Melanie
12-12-2013, 08:17 AM
Courses and waivers (with bib numbers and corral placements) are out! Check the runDisney website for the info!

BriarRose0708
12-12-2013, 02:26 PM
Uh oh. I just entered my last name and birth date to look up my bib number about 3 times and each time it's coming up "Not Found." I entered my sister's information and she comes up right away. I have my confirmation email and the email I received from runDisney when I sent in proof of time. I just emailed runDisney and hope to get a response ASAP. Hope this is just a system glitch!:fingers:

Melanie
12-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Oh no, Nikki. Hopefully it's a very easy fix. Let us know!

BriarRose0708
12-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Wow they got right back to me and we've been emailing back and forth trying to figure out the problem. Turns out my birth date was wrong in the system. I won't be able to view my updated waiver until next week so no idea what corral I'm in yet! But my sister is in the last corral, and I may just change corrals at packet pick up if we're not in the same one so I can be with her. Relieved that this glitch was figured out though!

Melanie
12-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Wow they got right back to me and we've been emailing back and forth trying to figure out the problem. Turns out my birth date was wrong in the system. I won't be able to view my updated waiver until next week so no idea what corral I'm in yet! But my sister is in the last corral, and I may just change corrals at packet pick up if we're not in the same one so I can be with her. Relieved that this glitch was figured out though!

I thought maybe it was a birth date issue. Too bad you can't look it up just by last name. But that brings me to how easy it is for anyone to access your information on your waiver. All you need to know is a birth date.

My hubby is in J.

whymsycalwitch
12-17-2013, 09:17 AM
Could someone tell me what hard-to-find characters and other interesting things have been on the half marathon route in past years? I'm trying to think ahead to photo ops. I already plan on not stopping for the "everyday" characters. I'm not running for a PR however, I do want to be sure that I don't get swept up in having a good time and get swept. My thoughts were that if there was a line of 10 people or more that more equall to about a 8-10 min wait. I want to be sure I use my extra minutes wisely.

Christine
01-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Everybody neat and pretty!? Cause we are just a week away!!! :mjump::mjump::mjump:

Whymsycal, I don't stop for meets for that very reason. I need to keep chugging. I often grab a photo while passing by. :blush:

Melanie
01-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Could someone tell me what hard-to-find characters and other interesting things have been on the half marathon route in past years? I'm trying to think ahead to photo ops. I already plan on not stopping for the "everyday" characters. I'm not running for a PR however, I do want to be sure that I don't get swept up in having a good time and get swept. My thoughts were that if there was a line of 10 people or more that more equall to about a 8-10 min wait. I want to be sure I use my extra minutes wisely.

It honestly does vary. Scrooge McDuck comes to mind as a really rare one. My hubby always stops (for me, bless him) and hasn't been swept yet, so don't worry. There aren't enough 'rare' characters for it to be a problem, I don't think.

whymsycalwitch
01-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Thank you. I've met Scrooge McDuck at a Christmas party a few years back so I'd probably skip him. I will most likely follow Christine's advice and just snap as I run past.

BriarRose0708
01-06-2014, 03:44 PM
It honestly does vary. Scrooge McDuck comes to mind as a really rare one. My hubby always stops (for me, bless him) and hasn't been swept yet, so don't worry. There aren't enough 'rare' characters for it to be a problem, I don't think.

I'm stopping for any 90's Disney Channel cartoon series characters, including but not limited to Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers, Goof Troop, and Tale Spin!

badkitty
01-07-2014, 01:12 AM
I'm stopping for any 90's Disney Channel cartoon series characters, including but not limited to Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers, Goof Troop, and Tale Spin!

I saw Duck Tales Launchpad McQuack in 2012 during the half. He was in the MK parking lot near the raceway. So fun!