PDA

View Full Version : Southwest

cer
02-05-2013, 08:43 AM
I found my flight at a lower rate - how do I cancel and rebook? Is it that simple?

I have never done this and don't want to mess it up....

BrerGnat
02-05-2013, 08:59 AM
I found my flight at a lower rate - how do I cancel and rebook? Is it that simple?

I have never done this and don't want to mess it up....

Sign into your account. Find the "My Upcoming Travel" page. Next to where you see your flight listed, there should be two options: "Change" and "Cancel". Choose "Change." When you go in and re-book the flight, the credit will automatically appear in your SW account. Keep in mind, you won't actually get money back now. The difference will be put into your SW account as a credit towards future travel, BUT that travel will have to happen before the date you originally booked the tickets, plus one year. So, if you booked this flight on January 1, 2013 (for example), you will have to complete travel using the "credits" by January 1, 2014.

cer
02-05-2013, 09:48 AM
Thank you! I was able to get it done! :thumbsup:

BigRedDad
02-05-2013, 02:50 PM
The only disadvantage to this now is that the credits are only usable for the name on the ticket. If you are going to fly again, it is a great deal. My flights just went lower by $35 total. Not worth my time to make changes.

cer
02-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Our total savings ended up being 104. It is a bummer that it is only for the person whose name is on the ticket, but for sure DH and I will be travelling next January, so we will have a $52 credit waiting for us then.

Also, if our return flight rate goes down, we might get another opportunity to save.

I will let you know that I will be doing everything to get as much back on these flights as I can. I kind of got ripped. These flights were one price in the morning, then, they went up 2 more times in the same day! I ended up paying waay more than I had hoped for. The only thing that made me feel a little better, was that the price went up one more time after I had purchased the tickets... and now I see that it is back down (well, at least the flight to MCO). So now just to watch on those return flights.... Oh and just so you know, I ended up booking my flights one way each way, so that if they came down, I could jump on the flight that changed and not risk the whole package.

Genie1953
02-07-2013, 09:41 PM
FYI...your credit is only good for one year from the date you originally purchased your tickets. Several years ago we lost close to $200 because we weren't aware of that stipulation. We thought it was one year from the date we received the credit. That said....when we had to reschedule a vacation a couple of years ago due to my father in laws sudden decline and subsequent death we were given a full refund for our tickets when we faxed a copy of his obituary to Southwest. We rescheduled our vacation for last August and did choose to fly with Southwest again. I think they are one of the best airlines in my opinion.

BrerGnat
02-08-2013, 08:28 AM
FYI...your credit is only good for one year from the date you originally purchased your tickets. Several years ago we lost close to $200 because we weren't aware of that stipulation. We thought it was one year from the date we received the credit. That said....when we had to reschedule a vacation a couple of years ago due to my father in laws sudden decline and subsequent death we were given a full refund for our tickets when we faxed a copy of his obituary to Southwest. We rescheduled our vacation for last August and did choose to fly with Southwest again. I think they are one of the best airlines in my opinion.

That was nice of them to do that. I love Southwest mostly for their customer service.

This is also a good reason to NOT book your tickets too early. I book as close as possible to my travel date because if I end up rebooking and getting a credit, chances are, I won't be traveling again until about a year has passed anyway.

It is worth noting that if you book using RR points, your points simply get re-deposited into your account. No stipulation on when you have to use them or anything like that.