PDA

View Full Version : marathon or MLK weekend

dtootsie42
02-04-2013, 01:45 AM
we are in the talking phase of our trip planning for 2014 (lol) we are trying to figure out a trip to the world before our daughter will return to college for the spring semester. We have gone in December but that won't work so we are pushing it back to Jan and are trying to figure out if it is better to go the week that the marathon falls or the week that MLK King falls. We would actually leave on Friday or Saturday of the MLK weekend and now that I think of it we would also be leaving either Friday or Saturday of the Marathon weekend. (We are prepared for the Brazilians)

Can anybody who has gone during those times please give me their points of view.

THANKS!

Dec 1997-Contemporary
Dec 1999-Poly
Dec 2001-Poly concierge
June 2002-Disneyland (off site)
Dec 2003-Poly concierge
Dec 2005-Poly concierge
Dec 2007-Poly concierge
Oct 2008-Disneyland (off site)
Dec 2009-Poly concierge
Nov 2010-Disneyland Hotel
Feb. 2012- Grand Floridian concierge celebrating 25 years of marriage just hubby and I
September 2012- DisneyLand Paradise Pier

sisterslovindisney
02-04-2013, 06:54 AM
We have went three times at the beginning of January (usually arriving on the 4th or 5th). The longest waits we've ever had were during our last trip in 2010 and that was about 25 minutes. We did see a lot of tour groups. But no problems at all. We stayed at the Poly all three times so that may have helped with maneuvering things a bit. This year we have to go mid-December and won't be at the Poly so I'm a bit worried about that. It was freezing when we were there in January 2010 so that also probably kept away a lot of the locals. All in all we love early January, it just doesn't work out for us this time.

Melanie
02-04-2013, 07:06 AM
It was freezing when we were there in January 2010 so that also probably kept away a lot of the locals.

Yes, January 2010 was the year there was freezing rain at the start of the marathon. Yikes! :freeze:

If I had to choose between the two weekends, I'd likely choose marathon weekend. A lot of folks come in just for the race. We've always had good experiences (including last month) with park crowd levels during this time, but it ramps up as you head into MLK weekend.

Dopey's Girl
02-04-2013, 08:03 AM
I was there for MLK weekend this year, and will never go on a school holiday again. Wednesday wasn't so busy, but you could see crowds getting bigger as the weekend approached.

I've been there for Marathon weekend as well, and have never noticed much as far as larger crowds.

ANG
02-04-2013, 08:20 AM
We just finally nailed down our trip dates for next January as well. I wanted to avoid marathon week AND MLK day. We'll be going the next weekend and leaving shortly into February.

I realize that's not an option with her going back to school. I would think going MLK weekend would be less crowded.

TinkerbellT421
02-04-2013, 08:23 AM
Yes, January 2010 was the year there was freezing rain at the start of the marathon. Yikes! :freeze:

If I had to choose between the two weekends, I'd likely choose marathon weekend. A lot of folks come in just for the race. We've always had good experiences (including last month) with park crowd levels during this time, but it ramps up as you head into MLK weekend.

Agreed.

We have "experimented" with many of the weeks in January. Marathon weekend is good, if you arrive that Saturday and avoid parks at the start of your vacation the crowds get very low for the remainder of the week. The year we went during MLK weekend, we made the mistake of going to Magic Kingdom, yea, we will never do that again! We prefer the week after MLK which has been the slowest time we have ever seen. It was fantastic. Loved it. We are planning that week again come January of 14. :thumbsup:

EDIT: In regards to the dreaded Tour Groups, keep in mind they work in order of entrance to exit of the parks. If you see them on the left side of the park, work in the opposite order, you will avoid them perfectly and vice versa. Whenever we see "the flag" we high tail it to the opposite way, we have never had a bad experience again since doing that. :giveup::bolt:

BigRedDad
02-04-2013, 10:14 AM
MLK weekend is slam packed. I would go with the marathoners.

BriarRose0708
02-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Come during Marathon Weekend in 2014 as a group of awesome INTERCOTers will also be there running and/or cheering and perhaps doing some meets!

Dopey's Girl
02-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Come during Marathon Weekend in 2014 as a group of awesome INTERCOTers will also be there running and/or cheering and perhaps doing some meets!

Um, perhaps doing meets? You all are taking me to Jellyrolls! That isn't perhaps!;)

dtootsie42
02-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks so very much everybody for all the input. I am leaning towards the marathon weekend now all I have to do is convince the family :thumbsup:

gottaluvtink
02-04-2013, 04:45 PM
We were there this year, the 5th through the 12 th, 2013. The combination of South Americans and marathoners was one of the most miserable trips I have ever had. We have gone 18 times in the past 15 years. I have also gone end of Jan/beginning of Feb. that was so much nicer, but it was exceptionally cold, which we actually preferred. I don't know if it was empty because of the cold or because of the time frame, but it was wonderful. I am torn as to when to book for 2014. I was thinking beginning of Feb., but not sure. I think the days of empty parks are pretty much over. I just know I NEVER want to go again with the South American groups.