PDA

View Full Version : Help in determining "fakes"

vamaggie
02-02-2013, 04:46 PM
I have not done pin trading since 2007-our last trip to the World. Wanted to get some pins for DD & DS to trade. Got a lot on Ebay but when it arrived today, the pins seem to be not as heavy as my older pins. The listing says they can be traded at all WDW parks and it also has a return option (I pay shipping back of course). The seller had a > 98% positive feedback so I felt pretty safe buying. Now I'm not sure if they are "scrappers" or fakes. Don't want to get to the parks and my kids not be able to trade (they would proabably only trade w CMs or other kids). Any help? If a listing says" Authentic" does that mean they HAVE to be real? What would you tell me to do? Thanks!

Melanie
02-02-2013, 05:04 PM
There should be a 'stamp' on the back that says 'Disney Pin Trading' and the year usually. Is that on there?

vamaggie
02-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Yes, I believe on most of them it says that. They all, I believe, have the Disney stamp, some say other things too like "Cast Member Lanyard Series" (or the like-they are not with me right now). I was mostly concerned that they did not seem as "substantial" or as heavy as my older pins. This is normal or would you return them and try with another seller?

VWL Mom
02-02-2013, 07:59 PM
I buy a few pins each trip. Some are a lot heavier than others. They seem to sell a mix now and when you see the pricing structure you'll see what I mean. I think they make some more "affordable" and part of it has to do with weight. This is pretty new, I want to say in the last 2-3 years. If they're stamped I think you should be fine.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-02-2013, 08:14 PM
I think you're OK. If they are stamped with the Disney sign, then a CM will trade with you. We've never had an issue with DD trading, and we often get pins from ebay.

Altair
02-02-2013, 08:34 PM
There is an update on the ebay site dated 9/2012 where they almost tell you themselves not to buy pins from them. It has gotten that bad.:(
The illegals are made from molds that should have been destroyed.

vamaggie
02-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Thanks everyone. So if the pins have the Disney stamp and are in good condition (paint is not chipped and can't see brush strokes etc) I should be good to go? I just don't want the kids to be disappointed at WDW if they can't trade.

Capt_redshirt
02-03-2013, 11:32 AM
There is a bit more to it then that.... a scrapper pin is a pin that failed to meet Disney perfect standard.. so the stamp on the back of the pin might be there but if its a scrapper it wont be crystal clear there might be rough edges or the paint job will be off... honestly its not easy to fully tell its a scrapper or not... the best way is to buy pins at Disney then you know.... that being said if you are looking for a cheap way to trade while on Disney property buying the blind packs will give you 2 pins at about 10 dollars and easy to trade off...