PDA

View Full Version : Creative ideas needed for "Fort Wilderness" themed birthday party

Phantasia
02-01-2013, 03:21 PM
THIS SUNDAY, I'm hosting my husband's 34th birthday party at our house, and I want to do a loose "Fort Wilderness" theme. FW is our resort of choice -- and home away from home! -- and we weren't able to get out there last fall since we'd just had a newborn. So, I thought I'd bring the Fort to him! :D

I love theming parties, and thought there might be others here who think this is a fun idea and not totally lame. :/

Menu (at "Trail's End"):

Chili (and fixin's ... sour cream, shredded cheese, green onions)
Cornbread (out of a cast iron skillet)
Fried Chicken
BBQ Ribs

Decor:
Kind of stumped here, with a short window of time, and limited cash resources ... The party is being held indoors.

Printed signage?
Red & white checked tablecloths
I have lots of the bluegrass/Appalachian music played in the FW loops

Activities/Games:
It'd be fun to have 2-3 or activities/games that are on theme. The people who'd participate in any games would range in age from 10 to 45, and there would be about 6-10 players.

Pin Trading? Hubby is a big pin trader; was thinking it might be fun to have some pin trading-themed game

Would love to hear what you creative folks think and any ideas you care to share!

disneydeb
02-02-2013, 02:25 AM
Games: horseshoes or ringtoss if it is inside, pin the tale on the donkey.. could be hilarious!

Decor: mason canning jars for flower vases, or to serve drinks

hay bales to sit on and/or for decor

have fun!

Phantasia
02-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Games: horseshoes or ringtoss if it is inside, pin the tale on the donkey.. could be hilarious!

Decor: mason canning jars for flower vases, or to serve drinks

hay bales to sit on and/or for decor

have fun!

Great ideas -- thanks! I even have hay bales that I use for decoration at Thanksgiving ... I would be giving myself such a clean up nightmare if I use them! (But they'd be so perfect!)

The Mason jars would be great -- maybe sunflowers? They look good and "country-ish".

Main Street Jim
02-02-2013, 03:19 PM
Don't forget photos of the railroad :)

Maybe try and print these out in black & white in some cheap(ish) frames?

[removed link per TOS]

Phantasia
02-02-2013, 07:41 PM
Don't forget photos of the railroad :)

Maybe try and print these out in black & white in some cheap(ish) frames?

Oh how I wish the FWRR was still there! I never got to see it; we always stayed at Outdoor Resorts of America in those years. (And I was but wee!)