PDA

View Full Version : Bringing toddler by myself

roses
01-31-2013, 09:17 PM
I've been to Disney so many times, last Oct I brought my 3 year old and my mother to Disney. We were going to all go again in November, but now my mother wants to go on vacation with my father instead (completely understandable!). My question to everyone is - if I go by myself with my toddler (she'll be 4 at that point), where do you think is the best resort to stay, and do you think this is doable?

magicofdisney
01-31-2013, 10:17 PM
I've done day trips, alone, with my then 8yo and 3yo. We're nearly always traveling on a budget so when there's that few in the group, we stay at a value.

The trip is completely doable. The only ride restrictions will be ones with a height limit. That still leaves TONS of things to do. I think you'll have fantastic time. I've always loved it. :mickey:

Pirate Granny
02-01-2013, 07:50 AM
I luv the look and food court of the A of A....get a standard room in the little mermaid section!

Mickey'sGirl
02-01-2013, 08:00 AM
It's certainly doable with a 4 year-old. Think of everything she'll be doing for herself by that age! We travelled down when our eldest was just shy of 4. My husband was at a conference, so it was just Harry and I every day at the parks. It was so easy to come and go as he cared to and to stop and see things when he wanted to, and eat when we were hungry. It was tremendous fun! We spent tons of time in the pool too. I think you will love it. :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
02-01-2013, 08:10 AM
I can see it being doable and pretty enjoyable with just one toddler. I think you should do it.

I'd suggest choosing a small, compact resort. Maybe Port Orleans French Quarter if you're looking at moderates. Wilderness Lodge or Contemporary, or any of the Epcot resorts would be good deluxes.

VWL Mom
02-01-2013, 08:50 AM
I agree, it's totally doable. If it's in the budget WL is a great choice IMO. The beach is fun to play on, the jungle gym, and lots of paths to explore. I also like that there's not a lot of outside foot traffic so it's more laid back.

c&d
02-01-2013, 08:52 AM
I've done it, very doable. I would suggest POR AB section. Our son just loved it there.

lawgirl
02-01-2013, 09:23 AM
I think its totally doable...I wouldn't mind taking my toddler alone. I think it'd be great fun!

Our favorite resort is the AKL. There is so much to do there, we usually spend alot of time at the resort. One thing I like about the AKL and WL is, especially if you are staying by yourself, you don't have to worry about walking around outside, alone at night by yourself, to some remotely located room. I love that once you get to the resort, its all "self-contained". We stayed at the CBR once, and I liked it, but I believe the rooms open up to the outside, like a motel. I wouldn't feel as safe staying there by myself. Even though I'm sure it's perfectly safe, I prefer the lodge. And my toddler LOVES the AKL. It's so cool to be able to see the animals from your room, and the lobby, and the pool there is amazing.

BigRedDad
02-01-2013, 09:59 AM
First, it is very doable. I did this with my DD when she was 5. I thought it was going to be difficult because of the restrooms. We used the family ones most of the time and it was not a big deal.

We had such a blast because it was all her vacation. Whatever she wanted to do whenever she wanted to do it, we did. I had to guide her a bit because the September heat started getting to me at 1-2PM every day. Since it was only the 2 of us, we didn't have 2-3 others wanting to go here and there while we wanted to go elsewhere.

What wound up working for us greatly was this routine....

Parks until about 1PM
Resort pool from 2-4PM-ish for games and activities at the pool.
Early evening back to the parks. We would either stay for fireworks or head back to the resort for the movie at the pool.

We accomplished almost everything we would want to in the mornings and early afternoon. I would never give that trip up again for the life of me. I can't wait to be able to do more Daddy/Daughter Disney trips (until I am the Anti-Christ teenage years) :mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
02-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Agree it would be a good idea. As far as which resort there are alot of factors. If you are willing to pay for a deluxe resort I would think one of the monorail resorts would be easiest if you plan to spend alot of time at the MK. The CR also has Chef Mickey's which is a plus. The Epcot resorts would make for easy trips to Epcot and DHS. The Dolphin is our favorite Epcot resort and you can't beat the price, 24hr food service at Picabu which our kids love, the pool and playground are great for small kids, and you could request a room with a view of the parks and fireworks. Another option would be AofA which is fantastic for small kids. We really liked the way the playground and pool area was set up for kids.:thumbsup:

roses
02-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Thanks everyone! She really wants to stay at AoA (I know, she's 3 and already knows what resort she wants to stay at - I'm so in for it when she's 16!) but I was thinking a monorail resort would be best since I remember trying to lug the stroller onto the bus with 2 of us, let alone just myself and DD! We spend more time at Magic Kingdom than any other resort, so I figured that may be the best bet for us. Now to decide which one! :)

lawgirl
02-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Another plus for the monorail resort is (I'm assuming, because I haven't personally stayed at one myself...have considered it, but love AKL too much) is that alot of the non-park character breakfasts that I've been researching seem to be at those resorts. Chef Mickey's, Ohana, 1900 Park Fare. Plus, it seems like it would be easier to just jump on the monorail anytime.

ginny57
02-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Poly might be a great option. Monorail to MK and you can walk to TTC for the EPCOT monorail too. Fireworks from the beach at night. Lots of dining options since you can hop the monorail to 2 other resorts. Taking a break mid-day will a little one is the way to go and monorails access makes that easier for sure!

buzznwoodysmom
02-01-2013, 05:03 PM
If I were traveling alone with one of my kids I would probably pick Wilderness Lodge or yacht or beach club. I like that those resorts have everything under one roof. I don't know that I would enjoy the more spread out resorts made up of multiple buildings.

Lindsey310
02-01-2013, 05:05 PM
I luv the look and food court of the A of A....get a standard room in the little mermaid section!

Great advice--she will love the theming of the resort and the pool is adorable!!

Keneva
02-01-2013, 08:30 PM
Oh yes, The strollers...It was so much easier for me to stroll on and off the monorail with the stroller, that made all of the difference. Being by yourself with only two hands on a bus with a stroller and child and bags and other stuff makes the monorail resorts look very tempting.

BigRedDad
02-03-2013, 07:20 AM
Thanks everyone! She really wants to stay at AoA

Stay at AoA then. Nothing wrong with just the two of you. Plenty of space, 2 beds, excellent theming, kids will be everywhere to play with when at the pool.

Enjoy the trip.

Figment104
02-07-2013, 12:29 PM
I also agree with staying at the Poly. Originally I was going to suggest the WL since as others have mentioned it's all contained in one building and I love that aspect of it. But once you brought up the stoller and I immediately thought Poly since you've got such eashy monorail access to both MK and Epcot. WL could also be good in that respect if you don't want to pay the Poly rates, since they do have the boat launch and if it's one of the bigger boats you don't have to fold up the stroller, but you're never guaranteed it'll be the big launch.

Regardless, I'm sure you'll have an amazing trip!

JesGettingStarted
02-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Only you really will know how your toddler would do with only you. As a nanny I have taken care of various children at this age and not a single one was the same. I had one little girl I could take to the mall and do fun things with no problem, but now I take care of boys of the same age and cant even leave the house with them.

As far as a resort, stay at the one she wants. It will make her feel more grown up and she will be excited about helping make the choice.

If you are looking to bring a stroller just do one of the cheap and easy umbrella strollers. They aren't the most fun to push because they are so low, but easy to move around, easy to fold up and I mean do you really need a huge stroller? Just take a back pack for the things you need that you would normally store in your stroller.

megustamex
02-08-2013, 09:45 AM
I did this with my kids when they were 2 & 4 because my husband was away every day at a conference in Orlando. We stayed at AK because that is my favorite hotel. We debated a monorail hotel for my convenience, but I really just wanted to do what I loved most. I rented a car, which made getting back and forth to the parks much easier (I could set up the stroller in the parking lot while they were still in their car seats). I never had to mess with the buses. I find driving with toddlers easier anyway - you can be on your own schedule when everyone gets tired - you don't have to wait for the bus, or risk having to stand up when it's crowded. I always walked to the car instead of taking the tram - it was easier than unpacking the stroller.

The #1 thing I did that made life easy was to pack a lunch for us. When my kids got hungry we found the nearest CS restaurant, grabbed a table and pulled out our lunch. We didn't have to get over to the specific restaurant that had the food that we wanted, or wait in line. It helped us avoid a lot of meltdowns.

Most of all, take it easy and just do whatever your child wants to do at the time! It will make the trip very relaxing for you! You'll end up doing wonderful things you've never done before! I remember hanging out in Innoventions for an hour at the fire exhibit and the kids had a blast - I had never spent more than 10 minutes in the whole building before.

roses
02-08-2013, 10:35 AM
That's great advice - thank you! Everyone! If I choose to go with my DD and not stay on a monorail resort, I will highly consider renting a car. Not a bad idea at all!