PDA

View Full Version : Not concerned but . . .

Belle_0717
01-31-2013, 09:26 AM
Why do I have to talk to people who are concerned about bed bugs? We've been DVC members almost 9 years and have never had a problem. I have never heard any of the DVC resorts having problems with bed bugs. Has anyone encountered this?? Why am I going to be paranoid now? HELP

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-31-2013, 10:53 AM
It's nothing to obsess about but learning how to check for bedbugs before bringing your luggage into the room could save a lot of trouble later on....I always check and have yet to get a room with bugs so don't let it ruin your excitement.:)

beryl628
01-31-2013, 11:10 AM
Unfortunately, we did :( Last April. We checked in on Friday. Everything looked ok. Sat night we went to be around 4 am after setting up our room for the Easter Bunny. Woke up at 6am. I was covered in a rash. Didn't think too much of it...started our day...by 2 I was in pain. Went to 1st aid, they told me it was my sun tan lotion. By 10pm we went back to our room and I just felt something wasn't right. Found live bugs on our bed, with blood from when they bit me over night. And hundreds of eggs in the headboard. There was NO trace of them in the places they say to check...the mattress. When pest management came in he found HUNDREDS in a hole in the bottom of the box spring :(.

My husband did not get bit. I had hundreds of bites and my boys each had about 50.
I have to say DIsney did handle everything really well. But we now have it on our DVC records that management must check our rooms before we arrive and someone from housekeeping goes through the room when we get there.

Melanie
01-31-2013, 11:36 AM
Why do I have to talk to people who are concerned about bed bugs?

Huh? Why DO you have to talk to people about bed bugs? Is this a DVC thing?

PETE FROM NYC
01-31-2013, 06:28 PM
We had a 2 BR at BLT 9/12. DW and I had the master BR and no bugs.SIL and her family had the adjoining studio and she said she had bugs.

TinkerbellT421
01-31-2013, 07:49 PM
Google bed bug registry. Most reports consist in Coronado, all star and pop. A few, but not many instances have been at dvc. I'm confused also, like Mel asked, why YOU are being asked or are answering questions about bed bugs to begin with? :confused:

Lindsey310
02-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Unfortunately, we did :( Last April. We checked in on Friday. Everything looked ok. Sat night we went to be around 4 am after setting up our room for the Easter Bunny. Woke up at 6am. I was covered in a rash. Didn't think too much of it...started our day...by 2 I was in pain. Went to 1st aid, they told me it was my sun tan lotion. By 10pm we went back to our room and I just felt something wasn't right. Found live bugs on our bed, with blood from when they bit me over night. And hundreds of eggs in the headboard. There was NO trace of them in the places they say to check...the mattress. When pest management came in he found HUNDREDS in a hole in the bottom of the box spring :(.

My husband did not get bit. I had hundreds of bites and my boys each had about 50.
I have to say DIsney did handle everything really well. But we now have it on our DVC records that management must check our rooms before we arrive and someone from housekeeping goes through the room when we get there.

Where did you stay? You said there were no trace on them on the mattress (the typical place to find them) but live bugs on the bed--was that on the sheets? What did disney do to remedy the situation?

beryl628
02-03-2013, 02:23 PM
We were at Saratoga Springs.
There were no traces other than a few live bugs on the sheets.

DIsney confiscated all our stuff (car included) and cleaned and disinfected everything. Purchased clothing and shoes for us. Along with stroller rental (that was being cleaned too). Our room was changed to another building. And the old building was shut down in our area until the rooms were all cleaned.

Sniffing dogs had to clear our car. We got our points and dining back for our stay. And medical treatment (you react like you would to a mosquito and myself and my son are highly allergic to bites.) was paid for.

We have been back since...though I can't bring my self to stay at Saratoga anytime soon.

Just remember these things can be found anywhere. Just do a thorough check where ever you are!

Melanie
02-03-2013, 02:59 PM
I'm still confused why the OP is having to discuss bedbugs, and with who? :confused:

Belle_0717
02-04-2013, 10:22 PM
I am sorry to have upset anyone. I have never had a problem and don't know why I even posted to begin with. A work friend is heading to Disney in 2 weeks and told me she is concerned about bedbugs. I didn't think it was an issue but now I've been thinking about it.

TinkerbellT421
02-05-2013, 08:26 AM
I am sorry to have upset anyone. I have never had a problem and don't know why I even posted to begin with. A work friend is heading to Disney in 2 weeks and told me she is concerned about bedbugs. I didn't think it was an issue but now I've been thinking about it.

Well, it's pretty much an issue EVERYWHERE. They are being found in shopping stores, movie theaters, restaurants. It's an issue with even your luggage being in the belly of the plane touching other peoples luggage bags that could have them at home and have little critters attached to their luggage and clothes. All you can do is be aware of it, and check. That's all you can really do.