PDA

View Full Version : Public Beach near Kennedy Space Center

Dream'nDisney
01-30-2013, 10:26 PM
On our way to WDW, we thought we might take a detour and make a stop at Kennedy Space Center and also take a walk on a beach. Is there a public beach where we could stop and put our feet in the sand near the Space Center?

1DisneyNut
01-31-2013, 09:04 AM
You have Daytona and New Smyrna just North of the space center and you have Cocoa Beach right close by just a few miles to the south. Any of those are a good choice. I would probably do Cocoa Beach since it is close by.

Do keep in mind though, if you are going to Kennedy Space Center; it takes all day long to see and do everything. You would need to be there when they open and it will take the entire day to view the exhibits, ride the rides and take the tours.

Katzateer
01-31-2013, 09:23 AM
There is a state park we have gone to a few times I think it is Jetty State Park. You can see cruise ships from the jetty and we got to see the Disney cruise ship before we boarded. You pay a fee to get in since it is a state park but the beach is normally cleaner than a public beach. Check the web site for Florida state parks - that is how we found it.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-31-2013, 10:54 AM
We went to the public beach on Cocoa Beach and it was lovely. The only charge was for parking (meters where we were), and it was just great.

And, I agree with previous posters, Kennedy Space Center is a full day in itself, so it might be a rush to fit in both on the same day.

Dream'nDisney
01-31-2013, 04:26 PM
Thank you very much for the advice. It has been over 20 years since DH and I have been to the Space Center, and we were able to do everything in a few hours. I guess they have added a lot to the experience. Good to know!

I know this is getting off topic for Disney vacation planning, but can you drive out to the Space Center just to see where "it all happened" without actually taking a paid tour? Or are you too far away from everything?

joonyer
01-31-2013, 09:21 PM
Thank you very much for the advice. It has been over 20 years since DH and I have been to the Space Center, and we were able to do everything in a few hours. I guess they have added a lot to the experience. Good to know!

I know this is getting off topic for Disney vacation planning, but can you drive out to the Space Center just to see where "it all happened" without actually taking a paid tour? Or are you too far away from everything?

You can drive "to" the space center and park in the visitors parking lot. But to see any launch pads, vehicle assembly buildings, etc, you have to take the tours. You cannot just drive around wherever you want on the space center property. It's still a restricted area, like a military base.

Dream'nDisney
01-31-2013, 09:24 PM
Thank you. I figured with security, etc., we wouldn't be able to see much. I just thought if we were strapped for time, there might be something significant we could show the kids. We will just have to figure out what is more important to visit.

ibelieveindisneymagic
02-01-2013, 10:07 AM
If you're really short on time, but want a "bit" of the space experience ... you could spend a couple of hours at the Astronaut Hall of Fame. We quite enjoyed our time there, and there are some neat interactive exhbits.

But, it is a musem/science centre type feel, you won't see the launch pads, etc.

MNNHFLTX
02-01-2013, 12:21 PM
The prettiest, most unspoiled beaches in the area are located in the Cape Canaveral National Seashore area, just north of the Kennedy Space Center. They are very close and easy to get to, especially Playalinda Beach in Titusville--just follow state road 402 to the coast. The whole seashore used to be closed during shuttle launches and may still be during rocket launches, I'm not sure. But it would be my choice of a place to dip my feet in the surf. If you're looking for a more public beach, I would recommend New Smyrna Beach. It is cleaner and less-touristy than the beaches just south of Cape Canaveral (although Jetty Park is kind of cool with the port there and all the cruise ships).