PDA

View Full Version : Rental Car Prices??!?!?

kcrc
01-28-2013, 04:36 PM
I was looking at rental car prices for an upcoming summer trip in FL. Prices are outrageous!!! We were in Disney last December ('11), and paid $113 for a week. Now - prices are triple that!! Were there some new laws/rules/fees passed that I'm unaware of?? :confused:

Has anyone had any luck finding reasonable rates?

Thanks!

MargaretMessler
01-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Look at any and all possible discounts you are eligible. Wholesale clubs, employers, credit cards, etc. In researching my upcoming trips I've found that for me the best deals seem to be had using a discount through my BJs membership. Also sign up for the email list of the major companies, so you get coupons or notice of deals.

Also I've heard if you wait until close to your trip, there are last minute deals to be had. I'm gonna try that this time because I really don't care which company I use, my only requirement is that it houses its cars at the airport. I don't want to make an additional stop.

faline
01-28-2013, 07:34 PM
Prices in Orlando have been high for the last several years. Still, there are deals that can be found. It requires constant checking and rechecking of what is being offered by whom.

Tigger68
01-29-2013, 12:12 AM
I'm looking into renting a car for two days of my vacation to travel to Universal. Does the Car Care Center on Disney property house just National and Alamo? Seems to be very expensive there.

VWL Mom
01-29-2013, 06:06 AM
I'm looking into renting a car for two days of my vacation to travel to Universal. Does the Car Care Center on Disney property house just National and Alamo? Seems to be very expensive there.

Yes, those are the only two. My suggestion is to join both of their clubs and keep checking. I got a great discount for March using Alamo's Insider's Club at the Car Care Center. Another hint if your looking for a specific company is to use there site directly. Multiple search sites (according to CNN) give you rates based on your browser, search history, etc.

BrerGnat
01-29-2013, 08:02 AM
December 2011 was a long time ago...

Waiting until the last minute, joining any of the rental car clubs, and looking for discounts you might be eligible for are the best ways to score a good deal.

I paid $14/day for a rental car over a weekend in October last year through Hertz. Stellar deal. I booked it like 2 weeks before the trip, as it was a last minute discount offer. If I had booked it earlier, I would have been looking at over $150 for three days...

Just wait.

faline
01-29-2013, 08:57 AM
There are also other car rental options at some of the hotels just outside Disney. They may even come pick you up.

MargaretMessler
01-29-2013, 04:46 PM

Consider Budget, there is an office in one of the hotels near DTD (I don't remember which one), I got a great deal there a few years back. They will pick you up and bring you back to the office to complete your rental. Was pretty quick.

minnie-mouse
01-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Can someone clarify which car rental counters are in Orlando Intl Airport (and that they house their cars on site)??

SandmanGStefani24
01-30-2013, 03:58 PM
rental car prices are a moving target, especially in MCO. check one day, you get one price, another day you get something totally different. make sure your computer deletes cookies, as if the rental website seems to give better prices to "new" searches in my experience. also, as I have recommended in prev posts, join frequent renter programs and get better deals. I am part of Avis's Preferred Plus and always get great rates much lower than posted and never have to leave deposits/have holds placed on my card.

Every company has clubs, eg, Hertz #1, Emerald Club, ect. Go with who you like and see what happens. The clubs are free to join, btw.

Dream'nDisney
01-30-2013, 07:48 PM
We rented a car in 2010 from the Dolphin. I believe it was Alamo. I joined all the major rental car company clubs and finally booked at what I thought was a good rate. Since I joined their club, I kept receiving discount emails and was able to rebook with a better deal later. Also, some companies let you use more than one discount code (at least they did in 2010).

Fangorn
01-30-2013, 08:11 PM
Can someone clarify which car rental counters are in Orlando Intl Airport (and that they house their cars on site)??

For maybe the past couple of years (I don't remember when it actually happened) all of the major rental companies have a presence on site at MCO. They all have their vehicles on site now.

Steve

Tigger68
01-31-2013, 01:01 AM
Thanks for some wonderful responses. Our trip is in 11 days. Yesterday Alamo's rental cars were $75 a day; today $46. Woo hoo! I joined Alamo's Insiders Club and United Airlines Frequent Flyer Club for some discounts too. Intercot is the best!