PDA

View Full Version : Which resort to choose? Surprise 2 night stay

Jen1984
01-26-2013, 01:01 PM
A friend of mine on the DVC has very kindly offered to lend me enough points for 2 studios for 2 nights at the end of our fortnight long trip in August, for a very small amount of money. The question is, which resort do we choose? We've narrowed it down to 3 options: Animal Kingdom, Bay Lake Tower or Beach Club Villas.

They all have obvious pros, so we are really torn, and probably will not get many chances to do this again.

As we will have already spent 12 nights on International Drive, and will have already seen most of what we'll have set out to see, we will most likely be spending large amount of time in the resorts, and will want a combination of a decent pool, lovely atmosphere and a couple of special meals.

Please could you let me know where you would stay, and why? I'm travelling with my partner, his autistic son and my mother, and really want to make it special for them- they won't know that we are moving to a Disney resort until that day!

Thanks in advance!

Yo Mickey!
01-26-2013, 04:09 PM
if it's based on resort and pool...i'd overwhelmingly say beach club villas. stormalong bay is an amazing pool for kids of all ages. the beach, s'mores and movies at night are a blast. also, you have the boardwalk and the street performers at night. plus...you can eat around the world showcase either night just by walking next door.

hauntedmansiongirl
01-26-2013, 04:19 PM
If your friends Autistic son likes animals I would go with the AKL. It is beautiful and has such a resort feel to it.

If you are done with the parks and all of that I wouldn't do Bay Lake Towers. The big draw there is the walk/monorail to the MK.

BCV would be my second choice- great but busy pool, The Boardwalk atmosphere- just fun!

No matter where you stay you'll love it! Depending on how far out your booking is, you may have to go with what's available. DVC resorts book up very quickly, especially BLT! :mickey:

BriarRose0708
01-26-2013, 04:34 PM
Make sure you have your friend call and check soon for availability during your planned stay. I'd hate for you and your traveling party to get your hearts set on one place only to find it's unavailable. Some DVC resorts can fill up fast especially during busy times. What a great and generous offer from your friend!

Personally, I'd choose Beach Club Villas but your parter's son might have the best experience at Kidani Village at Animal Kingdom Lodge. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of those choices!

Pirate Granny
01-26-2013, 05:37 PM
BLT will require more points...did she give you a choice?

VWL Mom
01-26-2013, 07:00 PM
Beach Club is probably going to be tough to get for August but that would be my first choice. You have a character breakfast on site, great pool area, nice selection of restaurants (including those on the boardwalk), and mini golf nearby. For a resort only stay I think that location offers the most.

buzznwoodysmom
01-26-2013, 10:17 PM
Based on what you said I would go with Beach Club. The pool there is amazing! Not to mention there is so much to see and do in the area. We spent 3 nights at Yacht Club in Aug. and more than once I said that you could pluck epcot and the surrounding resorts, drop it any where other than WDW and it could be a stand alone resort! There was never a shortage of things to do or places to eat. The pool alone kept the kids happy for the better part of most days.

I agree with the other poster who said you should have your friend check to see what is actually available. Beach Club is extremely popular in the summer because of the pool.

Jen1984
01-27-2013, 04:22 AM
Thank you all so much! I'll get her to find out asap to see where is available- you're right, it would be horrible to really want to stay somewhere and then not be able to! Saying that, it's Disney- think we could have a good time anywhere!

I'll let you know where we end up!

bruin1344
01-27-2013, 09:48 AM
BCV - the pool and the close walk to Epcot/DHS

Jen1984
02-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Just wanted to let you know that we are booked into a 2 bedroom villa at AKL! Couldn't get into Beach Club, but I think that it has actually worked out for the best, the resort and rooms look beautiful, and by looking at the menus we are looking forward to meals at Sanaa and Boma! Thank you all so much for your opinions, now I just need to keep it a surprise for the next 6 months! :plot:

AgentC
02-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Just wanted to let you know that we are booked into a 2 bedroom villa at AKL! Couldn't get into Beach Club, but I think that it has actually worked out for the best, the resort and rooms look beautiful, and by looking at the menus we are looking forward to meals at Sanaa and Boma! Thank you all so much for your opinions, now I just need to keep it a surprise for the next 6 months! :plot:

It's a beautiful resort. I'm sure you will love it.

Tigerinvestigator
02-11-2013, 12:51 PM
AKL is beautiful, you will love it. Mara is probably our favorite "food court" at WDW, but you cannot beat Boma and Jiko, they are both fantastic! We really like the pool at AKL as well. Very tropical and well landscaped!:thumbsup:

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Animal Kingdom Lodge for the savannah views and special meals....Beach Club close second because of their pool

Disney4us2
02-11-2013, 05:58 PM
We stayed at Kidani and loved it there. Love the pool. There are a lot of resort activities as well both at Jambo House and Kidani. I also found it so relaxing after being in the parks.

JenniferS.
02-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Bay Lake Tower! Just because it's a monorail resort!