PDA

View Full Version : We couldn't resist! Also, we finally stopped to smell the roses.

DonaldDuckUSA
01-25-2013, 11:02 PM
Our seasonal passes expired in October and we vowed to take a year off from Disney to make more time to travel to other places. We went to DC this past week and we flew back to Orlando's airport because DBF had a weekend conference in the surrounding Orlando area. We had a several hours to kill so we were planning on doing some Orlando shopping then grabbing an early dinner before meeting with his coworkers.

That was the plan until we made our way to the rental car and saw the Magical Express. After a detailed discussion with a list of pros and cons, we made our decision!

Next stop: Ticket and Transportation Center. Our ticket purchase (Florida resident passes!) was painless and our first evening with our new passes was so relaxing.

We mainly wanted to visit the new Fantasyland. We walked onto Main Street just in time to see a veteran lower the American flag for the day. He and his wife looked very proud. It was a very special and moving moment for me and DBF. We were already filled with national pride, and witnessing this couple was very endearing. We thanked him for his service and his wife for her dedication. You could tell they were still deeply in love.

Then we headed to Gaston's Tavern. I was a little hungry, but DBF said he wasn't in the mood for dinner so I was planning on just having a snack to hold me over. Once there, DBF realized how hungry he was so we headed to Columbia Harbor House! I had the tuna and DBF had the fried fish. Mmmmm!

Then back to New Fantasyland! We first rode the Little Mermaid ride and DBF was not too impressed. The story was a little weak (just seemed to follow the movie) and the animatronics (except the Little Mermaid dancing) were semi lacking, but I enjoyed the music and going "under the sea." It was a lot of fun hanging out with the kids in the line and talking with parents. We haven't done the non thrill rides in a long time, so it was a fun new experience.

After that we headed for Enchanted Tales with Belle. Again, we spent a lot of time watching the kids play in line and talked to a lot of moms and dads. I could tell some parents had long days and could use a boost and I was so happy to see the attraction provided them a little piece of Disney magic, showcasing their sweet children. DBF and I have no children of our own, but we loved watching these kids interact with Belle and other cast members. It was such a charming attraction. The Chest of Drawers and Lumière were awesome. We were so impressed.

After that we were a little tired from the DC trip and his coworkers were arriving at the hotel. We headed for the Haunted Mansion, which reminds DBF of being a kid. It is his family's favorite ride. I'm coming to love it for the same reasons. We also had great interactions with the children. Many were a little scared after the stretching room (no windows and no doors). There were a lot of tiny screams when the room went dark, but they were okay once they were able to escape the room.

After that the fireworks started and we made our way toward the park exit, stopping here and there to see some of the better moments. A few children were scarred of the loud banging and it reminded me of being a kid. Fireworks terrified me, but now they're absolutely beautiful.

Last year, we rarely took our time in Disney. It was all about maximizing park time, but we really enjoyed our little trip to the Magic Kingdom. We probably wont take as many trips this year, but we learned a valuable lesson about smelling the roses. We still hit everything at the right times and had some really special moments. I think it's going to be a good year.

tadcd
01-25-2013, 11:28 PM
For your lovely trip report. Our favorite memories are of moments that we slowed down to get to talk to sweet CMs and other families or notice little details we usually overlook. It sounds like a very nice trip.

Glad you didn't resist the temptation to go to the park! :mickey:

retiredfigment
01-26-2013, 09:24 AM
I loved reading about how you enjoyed your time at Disney. I wish more people would just have fun at Disney without timetables, ressies and spreadsheets.

CuteAsMinnie
01-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Thank you for bringing a smile to my day!

:cloud9:

hauntedmansiongirl
01-27-2013, 01:38 PM
What an awesome spontaneous trip to MK!

If only we lived closer... we'd practically live there I think. :mickey:

faline
01-27-2013, 04:02 PM
One of the terrific things about Disney is the variety of experiences you can have - from frenzied commandoes to laid-back go-with-the-flow. Glad you enjoyed your new style of touring!

January-2007
01-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Thanks so much for reporting, I hope you do have a great year touring!

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Sounds very nice

pdrlkr
02-01-2013, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the Sharing! :thumbsup: :mickey:

vizsla
02-02-2013, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the report.