PDA

View Full Version : Teppen Edo?

DizMagic
01-23-2013, 02:25 PM
We are looking for a different restaurant to try in Epcot. We are considering Teppen Edo. Has anyone been recently and is it one of your favorites?

Strmchsr
01-23-2013, 03:19 PM
It's not really that much different from your typical hometown hibachi restaurant in terms of food. The chefs are always good, but not always fabulous. It varies. So, in that regard it's not too much of a unique experience. That said, my family does love it because where it differs is in the service. Everyone there is Japanese and they reflect the culture and customs of Japan (as opposed to the local hibachi place where you can have people from all over, include just Americans). As someone who has spent years practicing various Japanese martial arts, speaks the language somewhat well, and really enjoys the culture, I appreciate the interaction with the cast members. So, for food alone, it's not going to stand out as unique, but I think the atmosphere is definitely worth it.

Cheshire_Girl
01-23-2013, 04:15 PM
Just because it is one of my favorites I feel the need to clarify
Hibatchi is a small grill placed in the center of the table and everyone cooks their own food.
Teppanyaki is food cooked on a central griddle by a teppanyaki chef :)
And I love it!!! And Teppan Edo is great in my opinion. However, if you are not fammiliar with teppanyaki, in general it is a bit plain. You choose your meat and your veggies and they cook it on the grill with maybe terrikayi or soy sauce and thats about it. The atmoshpere is fun! Try some warm saki....mmmm....

Gator
01-23-2013, 04:23 PM
I love this place! Just you mentioning it makes me want to eat there right now. It's a really fun place for dinner or lunch. I highly recommend the scallops. Just fantastic.

Itchy
01-23-2013, 04:25 PM
We like Teppan Edo as we find the food good and the atmosphere. We do not do this every trip though.

You might want to try Biergarten, Tutto Italia, or Via Napoli.

The Biergarten is a German buffet with good entertainment. Tutto Italia is traditional Italian food, and Via Napoli has hand tossed pizza cooked in wood fired ovens along with other Italian foods.

Hope this helps....:mickey:

Janmac
01-24-2013, 10:31 AM
Last April we liked the interaction with our Chef, and the attention paid to our niece's problem with onions but we sure didn't love the wait. Got there maybe 30 minutes early instead of the recommended 15 and wound up waiting an hour to be seated - there were 6 of us. This was our return visit after being away for several trips - too many other restaurants to try.

So, we liked our food and the chef, but because of the wait, we probably won't consider Teppan Edo a must do. On our next trip we do have ADRs at Tokyo Dining - first time there.

Jan

disneygirlie11
01-24-2013, 11:10 AM
It is one of our must dos every trip! I love it. I always get the filet mignon and it literally melts in your mouth! It is similar to a Kobe Steakhouse if you've been to one of those, but it's better :)

nqi2
01-24-2013, 11:20 AM
One of our must does!!!!!!!!!!!

My children absolutely love it. The last time that we were there the chef specifically asked if my children would eat the veggies and they answered no so he cooked all there food with out the veggies.

The other perk to this one is that you get both the veggies cooked in noodles as well as a bowl of sticky rice. Very unusual to get both offerings.

I too love all the customs that they uphold here. It is a different atmosphere than your hometown teppanyaki place.

bruin1344
01-24-2013, 01:18 PM
I recommend it.

Quadstriker
01-24-2013, 02:49 PM
It's a good Japanese steakhouse and nice value for the money. That said, it's not a unique experience.

NJGIRL
01-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Been there three times and each time our food was good. Just as good as we get at home, but a little more ex and expensive. Our kids love it and would go back every visit if we let them.

crltkcagle
01-24-2013, 05:02 PM
We have been there twice (last time was in May) and have always enjoyed the meals and the chefs. :thumbsup:

PETE FROM NYC
01-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Been ther 3X, most recent, this past September. We try to get there each trip, if we can get ADRs.

DANAM
01-24-2013, 11:50 PM
We eat here every trip. I would recommend trying it. We went in May and DH and kids loved it as usual but I thought the food was good but not any better then what we get at home.

Crow
01-25-2013, 01:33 AM
its been a loong time since i was there, since before the rehab, cause i always go to Tokyo Dining and like it too much

Pooh Fan
01-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Love this place! Coming from a smaller city, this type of experience is not something readily available anywhere around here so for my family and I it is a very unique experience. Every time I eat here I can't help but think of the Police Academy movie where the police commissioner inadvertently sets his goldfish bowl on the grill.
Love the little onion volcano too! It never gets old!

SBETigg
01-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Just because it is one of my favorites I feel the need to clarify
Hibatchi is a small grill placed in the center of the table and everyone cooks their own food.
Teppanyaki is food cooked on a central griddle by a teppanyaki chef :)

I love it too, but "hibachi-style" in American restaurant speak is, in fact, "a term for Japanese teppanyaki cooking, in which gas-heated hotplates are integrated into tables around which many people (often multiple parties) can sit and eat at once. The chef performs the cooking in front of the diners, typically with theatrical flair—such as lighting a volcano-shaped stack of raw onion hoops on fire." This from Wikipedia, but every Teppan style restaurant in my area calls this style "hibachi-style".

The kind of restaurant you are referring to is more often known as "Japanese Barbecue" or "Mongolian Barbecue" though they in fact may use hibachi-style cooking devices.

mydisneygirls
01-25-2013, 04:30 PM
My daughters and I went there this past Sept. We thought it was okay but not fabulous. I was surprised that miso soup and a salad weren't included with the meal which is what we are use to here at home. For the price, it should have been but then again I feel a lot of the restaurants at Disney are giving less for more. We frequent a hibachi restaurant and I have to say the food (and the chef entertaining) is much better. That being said, it was not one of our best meals but I wouldn't say not to try it. It's something different!

JerseyDad
01-25-2013, 09:48 PM
...it's a must do for us...every trip. So...that means we've eaten there 10 times since 2004!! I've never had anything but a good time and good food while dining there. It's on our ADR list again for this August's planned trip....

DisneyDawgette
01-26-2013, 01:26 PM
A best friend of mine just came back and he LOVES Japanese food. He said it was just okay- very disappointed that there was no option for fried rice, which is the only way we eat it here in the south. ;)

DisneyWFan
01-26-2013, 02:50 PM
We went last Dec & we really enjoyed it our Chef was friendly & entertaining. We were seated with another family that happened to be from Massachusetts as well. It was really good meal for us. I would recommend giving it a shot.