PDA

View Full Version : First time to Universal

satchel01
01-19-2013, 10:43 PM
So, I'm heading to Universal for the first time ever with my two kids (18 & 22) in two weeks. I'm really nervous for some reason! I"ve been going to Disney almost yearly for quite a while now and I guess not having Magical Express and the dining plan is just feeling weird to me.

I have a couple questions...do the rooms at Hard Rock Hotel have microwaves? We reserved a van to take us to the hotel from the airport and have a grocery stop along the way. Do they give you hot chocolate for the Keurig? What about creamer for coffee? Is there a fee for using it?

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do about the "no bags on rides" issue. We love all kinds of rides so there won't be any of us wanting to sit around waiting with the baggage and getting a locker every time seems like a pain. Any creative ideas? I usually carry my iphone, chapstick, gum, sunglasses, visor, room and credit card, hand sanitizer and that's about it.

I will need to do some homework while I"m there. Does the hotel charge for internet access?

buzznwoodysmom
01-20-2013, 10:10 AM
We have stayed at Hard Rock Hotel in Universal. I don't remember there being a microwave in our room, I am pretty sure we didn't have one. I think I remember my son making hot chocolate in the room, but I am not 100% certain. There were no extra charges for using the coffee maker in the room. It is a wonderful resort. I am sure you will love it. We are staying there again next month and we can't wait!

I used the free locker for my bag when we rode Forbidden journey. We did rent a locker for the day on one trip. I have also just left my bag in the room other times. It just depends on my mood I guess. Being at Hard Rock puts you close enough to run back to your room should you really need something if you decide to leave the bag in the room. DH carried the money and tickets in his wallet, I only had to carry phone in my pocket. There was really nothing else we needed when staying onsite. No need for keys to the car or anything like that.

As for internet. My husband did use internet, he had a phone conference one afternoon. I honestly don't know if he had to pay a fee for internet usage. The kids and I spent that time at the pool.

satchel01
01-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the info! If I'm wearing sunglasses and a visor will I be able to have those on rides or will I have to store them too? My visor has a cord so it could be pulled down so it doesn't fly off and my sunglasses either stay on me or I put fold them & hang on my shirt.

MizMissy
01-22-2013, 11:52 AM
We loved HRH, but I cannot remember a microwave OR a frig in the room. Maybe I'm wrong about the frig, but we had an ice chest in the room (we drove to Orlando) and kept filling it up with ice during our stay. You should probably call the hotel for a definite answer.

Yes, the Keurig had hot chocolate - my kids were very happy.

As far as carrying things, your sunglasses and visor should be allowed on the ride. My husband tucked his hat into the back of his shorts. On some rides, esp. Rip Ride Rock It and Forbidden Journey, I remember being concerned about losing my sunglasses and even my wristlet falling out of my shorts pocket.

As Denise mentioned, the GREAT thing about HRH is that it is so close, you really do not need to carry anything with you other than your room key and a credit card. I would HIGHLY recommend wearing a lanyard (for everyone in your group, except my DH would not wear one)for your room key because you have to show your room key so often (even several times in the queue) for the express pass lines.

Have fun!!

satchel01
01-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the info MizMissy! A lanyard is probably a great idea although I hate having things around my neck. Maybe I can find a clip on type. If they allow them on rides then I wouldn't have to worry about anything. The only thing would be our phones but if we stick together we shouldn't even need them.
I really assumed there would be a mini fridge, that's a bummer. I guess ice from the machine will have to suffice for making drinks cold.

MizMissy
01-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Oh and I would not worry about not having the dining plan. Before our trip, I was worried about not have reservations planned, but my friend assured me a Universal trip was so much more laid back than Disney. And, she was right! At peak times, you may have to wait for a restaurant seating, but even with reservations at WDW you generally wait to be seated. We did make a reservation one evening for Hard Rock Cafe, but that was only because we were eating with a group of 25. There are day dining plans at Universal, but we never considered it because it looked like a lot of fast food choices and my DH is way too high maintenance for fast food. However, we did buy one of the refillable drink mugs (that was a deal), but that was only because one member of our group never rode the rides and could keep all of the mugs with her.

One other suggestion, remember zip lock bags for cell phones in case you are riding wet rides (Bluto's Barge, Dudley Do Right Falls and Jurassic Park are all great rides, but not sure if you will ride them in February).

DizneyFreak2002
01-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Forbidden Journey, if I am not mistaken, has a compartment on your seat where you can store loose items... It isn't very big, but should fit sunglasses...

DryCreek
02-08-2013, 01:52 PM
According to the website, either (or both) are available at an upcharge of $15 per day.

"Microwaves & Refrigerators
The fee for a Microwaves and Refrigerators are $15 each per day, plus 12.5% sales tax. Available on a first come, first served basis. Only one Microwave and Refrigerator is allowed per room and are available through Star Service Hotline. (http://www.universalorlando.com/Hotels/General-Information/Hotel-Services-Information.aspx)"