PDA

View Full Version : What Transports You Back???

MrPeetrie
01-17-2013, 11:21 PM
We all love going to Walt Disney World, or else we wouldn't be posting on this site regularly. But going there as often as we'd like for many of us isn't an option. To satiate between trips, I will sometimes take mind vacations at night, imagining the perfect 10 days in WDW. But this post is about the unexpected things that might occur throughout the day that make you think, "That reminds me of Disney," and more specifically, a very definite place or event IN Disney.

For me, it's a smell. There is a unique (pleasant) odor from the Rainforest Cafe. Every once in a while, up here in cold, snowy Pittsburgh, I'll be out somewhere and catch a brief whiff of that odor and immediately I'll be mentally transported to Animal Kingdom, and more specifically, the shopping portion of the Rainforest Cafe, waiting for our names to be called for seating. When it happens, the feeling is almost overwhelming and the anticipation of the next trip becomes tremendous. Since our trips always begin at the Rainforest, for me it means our fun is about to begin.

When you're home, pining away for your next trip, what transports you back? Is it a song? A movie? A phrase? Or maybe, like me, a special smell that means you're back in the Happiest Place?!

:thumbsup:

taleasoldastime
01-17-2013, 11:35 PM
Any time I hear any lion king song, I imagine myself watching FOTLK. Its my favorite live performance.
Also, I compare every ice cream bar to the mickey bar. Mickey bar remains supreme!

kbean
01-18-2013, 05:39 AM
Certain exhaust fumes. So if you see me chasing after buses around St Petersburg, Im trying to get my Disney fix like a junkie.

And fountains at the mall have that POTC smell.

Ms. Mode
01-18-2013, 06:14 AM
We have been to WDW for New Year's for 2010, 2011, and 2012; early in the morning there is a peace about the resort areas...it's a pleasant tempurate (normally) and very calm...the start of a day (hard to describe actually). Sometimes here at home it's a morning like that and I'll think "this is a Disney morning". One such morning my DD and I were headed out to run errands and she said,' this morning reminds me of Disney". Me Too!

BigRedDad
01-18-2013, 06:24 AM
WORK!!!! Makes me wish I were at WDW every minute I am there. :mickey:

TexasRoni
01-18-2013, 07:33 AM
The smell of Syrup always makes me think of Mickey Waffles! Our favorite resort is POR and eating mickey waffles next to the big mill wheel is our morning tradition when in WDW.

Also, I have to agree with the PP about the "disney morning" feeling. Some days I walk out of the house and the air and temperature just triggers the memory of walking in the morning from our Alligator Bayou room down to breakfast, pushing our youngest in the stroller with our backpacks and cameras, fueling up for a day in the parks. AHHHH Disney Mornings are the best!!

wilcat
01-18-2013, 07:33 AM
Every morning when I feed my puppy I am transported back to Disney searching for hidden Mickey's. Her food is shaped like Mickey's head :mickey:. Needless to say that starts my day off right.

Cheshire_Girl
01-18-2013, 08:21 AM
For me it is surprisingly not a smell (I am weird about smells, and actually somedays in the parks are hard for me with all the weird smells!)
It's a sound
There is a certain Jingle that the sound of Disney Pins pinned on a back pack make....
So every once in a while someone will jingle change in their pocket in just the right way, or someone has a necklace that jingles against its chain...but that sound-Immediately in mind my favorite DB is walking beside me and we're headed thru the tunnels right toward main street and I hear the pins jingle on the bag...and all is right with the world....

sportsguy2315
01-18-2013, 09:37 AM
For me, it was this road I walked my dogs on when we lived at our old house. The road cut through a wooded area, so it was an interesting mix of both POR and Fort Wilderness in one.

CzepielCrew
01-18-2013, 09:58 AM
WORK!!!! Makes me wish I were at WDW every minute I am there. :mickey:

Well said. Talk about daydreaming and not getting my work done.

roses
01-18-2013, 10:56 AM
A diner that just opened around the corner from me has Napoleon as a dessert and it tastes very similar to the one in France. Sometimes I'll go pick it up and bring it home and eat it just to remember sitting in France watching Illuminations... :blush:

stephicakes
01-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Sometimes I am driving on the expressway and a car will pass by with a Disney bumper sticker on it and I think to myself, "Yep - they GET it." :thumbsup: Then I start daydreaming all over again...

ransam
01-18-2013, 03:04 PM
i have a file of music on my computer that is titled "Disney trip"..
when ever i'm down or not having a bad day, i can have a small disney vacation in music. It works every time.
It's about 6 hours of music. and it is perfect when a trip is far away, or just around the corner.

It starts w/ 5 or 6 typical disney songs not associated w/ a ride (Celebrate the future, You got a friend, We go on, etc.....) this represents me planning......
Then it plays Fantasy Castle Melody followed by all the songs associated w/ rides at MK (SMall World, we can fly, yo-ho PIrates, etc.) ending w/ Light Magic and Fantasy in the Sky. Then it moves on to all the songs we associate w/ rides and attractions in AK, then HS, and finally the songs from Epoct, ending w/ Illuminations. Then from there it has 4 of 5 songs to wind the disney trip down, this is me winding down from my vacation. and finally ends w/ When you wish upon a star.

PETE FROM NYC
01-18-2013, 04:26 PM
I just bougt a new Expedition last August. Just in time for our most recent trip to WDW. The first playlist in it is 6 Disney CDs. We had to listen to that a dozen times during the drive down.

Jaybrad
01-18-2013, 07:16 PM
I am 70 years old and we have been going to WDW since 1973 (34 trips from Texas). We keep going back because we have always had a wonderful time. Nothing fits WDW better than their words of "Happy and Magic" plus my wife and I still have a lot of kid in us. Thank your for the thread.:mickey:

Main Street Jim
01-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Sometimes I am driving on the expressway and a car will pass by with a Disney bumper sticker on it and I think to myself, "Yep - they GET it." :thumbsup: Then I start daydreaming all over again...We see cars around here *all the time* with Mickey (or other Disney characters) antenna toppers. I just have to point to one when my wife's in the car with me - don't have to *say* anything, just point - and we both get a huge grin on our faces :)

DisneyorBust
01-18-2013, 07:43 PM
I have to agree with MrPeetrie, it normally is a smell that takes me back.
For example, I was working at our training academy and I went outside at the end of the day and found that it had rained. It smelled just like the lobby of my favorite resort, the Poly! And for a moment, I was back.
Recently, after another rain, I was transported back to PoTC. Unfortunately, it was only a mental vacation, but I enjoyed it just as well.

roses
01-18-2013, 07:45 PM
I used to call just to hear the music :blush:

Caroleh
01-19-2013, 07:55 AM
Where to begin!! I get transported back so easily! My car has the Mickey antenna topper, Mickey and Tinkerbell decals on the side windows, Grumpy, a mother with mouse ears and two cats with mouse ears and a monorail decals on the back window. My two cats are Figaro and Tinkerbell. My purse is a Tinkerbell purse I bought at DTD. I work at a retail store and I carry my keys on a Tinkerbell lanyard. I work in a fabric store and I get customers getting ready for a WDW trips a lot and I get carried away in conversations. My favorite is talking to the kids about their trip!! I always have a little bit of Disney with me at all times.

When I'm driving to work all I got to do is look somewhere in the car and I'm transported to my happy place!!

bruin1344
01-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Some chlorine smells make me think of the water rides,

Any wilderness looking decor or banjo sounds make me think of frontierland

joonyer
01-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Fireworks, whether I see them in person or on TV. When I was a kid and would see the Disney fireworks over the castle "logo" on the Wonderful World of Disney TV show I would wish and dream of one day going to DisneyLand (and later to WDW).
Now whenever I see fireworks anywhere, it takes me right back to Main St. USA.

nicholsbears
01-19-2013, 10:06 PM
:snowman:[SIZE="3"] What a great question! For me[it's a calm summer morning when the mist is still hanging in the air and the grass is still wet with dew. It reminds me of getting up really early and trying to be one of the first ones on the safari at Animal Kingdom. Those days I say to myself, "this is a Disney morning."/SIZE] Also , of course, whenever I hear "It's a Small World."

TheVBs
01-20-2013, 09:04 AM
I love reading all the responses here! :mickey:

For me it's looking at the pictures or reading our trip journals. For a little bit, I can escape in my mind. When we're driving somewhere, if it's got that road trip feel to it, it makes me feel as if we're on the road headed to Disney, especially if we've got Disney music on. There's also a zoo nearby that reminds me of AK. One section is set away from the rest of the zoo and they did a great job with an Africa theme. Stepping off the tram there into "Africa" sends me to AK for a few minutes. :mickey:

On a side note, someone mentioned talking to others about their upcoming trips or knowing someone else "gets it". Isn't it fun when you stumble upon someone else who loves Disney as much as we do? A few days ago I was sitting in the office at my daughter's school, waiting to pick her up for an appointment. I was chatting with the person in the office I usually chat with and somehow we got on the subject and discovered that we both feel WDW is our happy place! It's so funny because you kind of cautiously move around the subject until you figure out if they're as into Disney as you are, or if they're going to think you're a nut! :laughing:

SandmanGStefani24
01-20-2013, 03:23 PM
On a side note, someone mentioned talking to others about their upcoming trips or knowing someone else "gets it". Isn't it fun when you stumble upon someone else who loves Disney as much as we do? A few days ago I was sitting in the office at my daughter's school, waiting to pick her up for an appointment. I was chatting with the person in the office I usually chat with and somehow we got on the subject and discovered that we both feel WDW is our happy place! It's so funny because you kind of cautiously move around the subject until you figure out if they're as into Disney as you are, or if they're going to think you're a nut! :laughing:

I think we all can relate to this...it always is a nice surprise when you find another WDW fan.

As for what takes me back, it's easy. My new experience app helps me remember, as do all my little items ive brought back from WDW. I remember all the places I bought them from and it builds a nice memory. Once in a while I'll crack open a Disney hotel soap bar too...might just do that today:mickey:

eire
01-27-2013, 05:29 PM
Planning the first trip for my little girl is bringing all my many trips back, but especially the trips I took as a little girl. I remember seeing my dad's eyes fill with tears when we first saw the castle. He was so proud to have his wife and 3 little girls there! He later told me that he was overwhelmed at his first glimpse of castle, he felt like a little kid!
I get you, dad, which is why you'll be coming with us this trip, too! There's no place like the Magic Kingdom!

jnfr2424
01-28-2013, 05:04 PM
This is going to sound crazy but my right foot!!
I got a tattoo on my foot that says "When you wish upon a star" and everytime I look at it I can visualize watching Wishes in the MK

As far as when you meet someone who gets it - I get so happy because I can spend hours talking Disney talk!! Can't you?