PDA

View Full Version : Dining review Jan.14-17

Katzateer
01-17-2013, 09:20 PM
Kona- our meal on arrival day - I got the Teriaki sirloin with sticky rice and broccolini and it was excellent.

Be Our Guest - lunch. My steak sandwich was good but it had been sitting in a warmer. We got in right at 11am and the food was at the table within a few minutes of ordering so it had been sitting in the kitchen ready to come out like fast food. The onion soup had a great cheese topping and the onions were very tasty. The broth did not have a beefy base like French onion soup usually has. It was watery and had no taste once the onions and cheese were gone. My daughter liked her potato leek soup.

I did not think the desserts were anything special - we got a couple of the cupcakes - one strawberry and one lemon.

It is very hot waiting outside before it opens. Can't imagine being out there on a summer day - we were melting in 80 degree weather in Jan.

Katzateer
01-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Food court at AoA - had one meal breakfast and it was very tasty. eggs, potato casserole, bacon, sausage and some bread ( I believe it is an Indian flatbread). The French toast looked good but it isn't on the breakfast platter.

I got the house made chips one evening and they are very good.

Rose and Crown - Steak and fish with mashed potatoes and green beans- very good. Rolls that came with meal also very good. Service- not so much. My first time there and won't go back.

California Grill - went for dessert. Have done this many times - this waiter was not too happy about it. Most of the time the waiters are very nice and don't seem to mind. We both got a chocolate dessert and we could not even finish them. Never thought I would say this - but we were on chocolate overload.

Will be sad to see CG close for 7 months and be totally new. Great memories of the place and we have had some fantastic meals there.

Katzateer
01-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Columbia Harbour House - what can I say - best counter service at WDW

Dole whip at Polynesian's Captain Hook- has anyone thought it doesn't taste as fresh as it does at the MK? Guess the volume isn't sold from that machine so the mix sits longer. It was still good but tasted a little off.

Freshly made popcorn - oh my, the smell, the taste, sooooo good. Eating olive oil and salt popcorn from Trader Joes at home - MK popcorn is :cloud9: compared to that normal snack.

Egg rolls from China at EPCOT - the chicken and vegetable egg rolls are excellent.

Carrot cake whoopie pie with cream cheese frosting at the Studios from the Writers shop next to Sci Fi at the studios. Very good.

Hammer
01-17-2013, 11:31 PM
Kona- our meal on arrival day - I got the Teriaki sirloin with sticky rice and broccolini and it was excellent.

Be Our Guest - lunch. My steak sandwich was good but it had been sitting in a warmer. We got in right at 11am and the food was at the table within a few minutes of ordering so it had been sitting in the kitchen ready to come out like fast food. The onion soup had a great cheese topping and the onions were very tasty. The broth did not have a beefy base like French onion soup usually has. It was watery and had no taste once the onions and cheese were gone. My daughter liked her potato leek soup.

I did not think the desserts were anything special - we got a couple of the cupcakes - one strawberry and one lemon.

It is very hot waiting outside before it opens. Can't imagine being out there on a summer day - we were melting in 80 degree weather in Jan.

Just shows how Disney restaurants can be inconsistent. When we had the onion soup it had a nice beef flavor (and I have had my share of French Onion soup :tasty: ). I agree with you about the steak, though it had a nice taste. The desserts did not interest us and now I'm glad we did not bother.

Thanks for your review!

Katzateer
01-18-2013, 07:50 AM
And we did make it to the new French bakery- love the size and everything looks yummy. Hard to chose. I got the chocolate eclair with chocolate filling and it was wonderful.

The dining area has plenty of seating and all the room outside is still available.

IwannabeinNarnia
01-18-2013, 08:51 AM
My tummy is growling... thanks for the reviews! sounds like some good meals were had!

BriarRose0708
01-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Great reviews Debbi! Sorry to hear about the poor service at Rose and Crown. I've never been, but reading lots of reviews I don't remember hearing about bad service often. Maybe it was just the luck of the draw and your server was having a bad day?

I haven't had the opportunity to try California Grill, but want to visit when it reopens. Hopefully it will be just as good an experience!

Auntie B
01-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Ahhhh, the carrot cake cookie from Writer's Stop. One of my favorite treats in the World! Thanks for making me drool! ;)

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Great reviews, thanks for sharing

Gator
01-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Columbia Harbour House - what can I say - best counter service at WDW

Really? That shocks me. With BOG for lunch available, along with Tangeriene Cafe, Lotus Blossom, Sassagoula at POFQ, and Flame Tree BBQ, I don't see Columbia being the best. But we're all different, right.

Katzateer
01-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Really? That shocks me. With BOG for lunch available, along with Tangeriene Cafe, Lotus Blossom, Sassagoula at POFQ, and Flame Tree BBQ, I don't see Columbia being the best. But we're all different, right.

I do like Flame Tree also - don't make it over to AK every trip. Haven't been to the others but we have been going to Columbia for over 20 years and have never been disappointed in a fast meal there. I have gotten the egg rolls in China but nothing else since we normally go to Garden Grill for a sit down meal.

Melanie
01-19-2013, 08:14 AM
We're certainly all different, Gator. Some on your list would never make my list.

But I agree, Debbi, that Columbia Harbor House is one of the best. The unique offerings and nice setting make it stand out. I also really loved BoG for lunch. I had the turkey sandwich, and it was really, really good. Whatever they had done to the onions on the sandwich made that taste pop. Yum! And we enjoyed our strawberry cupcakes.

Thanks for your reviews! :chef:

January-2007
01-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Thanks for sharing!

tadcd
01-19-2013, 10:33 PM
Nice reviews. Sorry about BOG, we were planning for the french onion soup and dessert only in a couple of weeks...:(

Katzateer
01-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Nice reviews. Sorry about BOG, we were planning for the french onion soup and dessert only in a couple of weeks...:(

I would definitely still go - it is a place to try at least once. And it wasn't a bad meal - but it didn't wow me as much as I thought it would. We will go back though.

Have a great time!:mickey:

readytogo2
01-20-2013, 08:44 AM
thanks for reviews be there in 21 days

beksy
01-27-2013, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the reviews...glad Kona is still as good as I remember it!

hauntedmansiongirl
01-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Mmm....Kona sticky rice and steak! So yummy! It's one of our stops in April.

Thanks for sharing and making me smile on a cold January day!!! :mickey: